Cake Making & Baking Group

Hello, please can I have some advice please!?

If I do my model pieces today and keep them sealed in an air tight box will they be ok for putting on the cake on saturday??

Im trying to cut dowm the time so not doing it all on one day and im dying to start making this cake hee hee - thank you xxx

PS I LOVE that boobie cake! thats fab! How do you get the fondant two different colours on the cake?? xxx

Hi everyone,

I’m going to bake some cupcakes for Father’s Day..My step-mum is having a BBQ on Sunday and I was going to make little cupcakes to take along. This is my chance to show people what I can do, if that makes sense as there will be a lot of people there! Has anyone got any ideas or recipes what I can make?

And, also, does anyone have any experience with biscuits?!

x

Tracey your cakes are fab, they put my little old flag cake to shame!!!

I actually cried over this on saturday( blame hormones) Jack was taking to me and I put a stripe off centre and couldn't move it as the red colour had bled on to the white, the cakes had risen slightly different so needed to hide it but buggered up, ah well not too bad, left the ENGLAND off it as the G's were a bitch :rofl:
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF1190.jpg

Some I did to order last week
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF1185.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF1189.jpg

Oh and please ignore the squished marks on the top as some bright spark ( not work out who yet) pressed the handle down on my cake box :roll:
Hmmm not best pic, I can see loads of mistakes!

Lol Tracey :haha:
Jo the cakes look great!
You make especially beautiful cupcakes, i cant spot any mistakes :shrug: xxx

Thank you hun :)
I'm pretty confident with my cupcakes, big grown up lovely cakes, not so much, so many little cock ups on the flag, I'm just glad it was a random for mates :lol:
At least it tasted better than it looked from feed back x

hi ladies quick question can any of you make roses if so would any of you be willing to make some for me i will pay i am doing a wedding cake and cant find the right colour any where so i thort i would ask you lovely ladies in here as i really dont know what to do thankyou xx

just a few quick questions to those who make birthday cakes, hope you dont mind?

What recipe do you use for your sponges?
and
How do you get them looking so flat and smooth?

mine always come out bumpy and the more i try to trim them the more they look worse!

cheers
Sarah x

Yeh, I'm so excited. :happydance:I made some chocci cupcakes tonight and I got to use my new nozzle for my icing. God I'm so pleased with them, so thanks Jo for letting me know which one you bought and use. They look so much better :happydance:

I've just eaten one and so has OH and oh my I feel sick. I've eaten too much as I cleaned out the bowls (twice) and the spatulas.

Attachments

• Chocci Cupcakes.jpg
    Chocci Cupcakes.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Chocci Cupcakes2.jpg
    Chocci Cupcakes2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 10
  • Chocci Cupcakes3.jpg
    Chocci Cupcakes3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 7
what nozzle are you using they are fab and look very yummy xx

I bought the Wilton 12 Piece Cupcake Decorating set from The Craft Company. The nozzle was 1M.

just a few quick questions to those who make birthday cakes, hope you dont mind?

and

mine always come out bumpy and the more i try to trim them the more they look worse!

cheers
Sarah x

Hi hun,

Ive just started doing cakes so im no expert but i usually do a victoria sponge type or chocolate sponge (not ventured on fruit yet!) let it cool before trimming etc (ive heard some say put it in the fridge but not sure if this will make it dry?! and when its hardened a little trim then!) I usually crumb coat with buttercream, as smooth as poss leave to 'set' then cover with fondant etc

Not sure if thats how its supposed to be done but like i said, im a learner baker :D

Good luck xx

and

cheers
Sarah x

Hi hun,

Ive just started doing cakes so im no expert but i usually do a victoria sponge type or chocolate sponge (not ventured on fruit yet!) let it cool before trimming etc (ive heard some say put it in the fridge but not sure if this will make it dry?! and when its hardened a little trim then!) I usually crumb coat with buttercream, as smooth as poss leave to 'set' then cover with fondant etc

Not sure if thats how its supposed to be done but like i said, im a learner baker :D

Good luck xx

Yep, pretty much ^^^^^wss ^^^^^^
If you are going to carve the cake or you're not sure about trimming it down I would recommend using a maderia cake recipe as it's a bit firmer and won't just crumble (can still alter the recipe to make lemon/choc, etc), use a cake leveller, and then do the crumb coat (just a very thin layer, literally just enough to hold any crumbs.)
To make a smooth finish on the top I always turn my cake upside down, as the base of a cake is always smooth and flat unless you use baking paper in your tin that has wrinkled or creased, combined with using a cake smoother with warmish(well kneaded)/fresh icing - won't work if you cover the cake and then leave and go back to it. HTH.x
Anyways, almost finished the Very Hungry Caterpillar cake, will have pics on here tomorrow evening, looks good, couple of things I'm not happy about, but can't do anything about it, it's all just because of the design and what I had to get on it, but pleased with myself as i'm ahead of myself, not needed til thursday, usually I'm up really late the night before it's due to be collected, but got myself really organised with this one and the last one (about time!!)
Whats everyone elses next projects then?

Im doing a lego style cake for a friends boys birthday for this wkend :) Its the biggest project/the only project ive ever done lol - pretty much a big learning curve as this will be my 4th EVER cake!!

But we'll see how it goes :)

Good Luck then, Cassandra, I'm sure it will be great, looking forward to seeing pics!

Ladies as i enjoy making cupcake toppers so much i was thinking about making them and selling them. What do you think?

where could i sell them ebay????

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->