Cake Making & Baking Group

Shit, sorry Nic! I meant to come back on after reading and reply! I had a memory like a sieve!

Once I put Daisy down for an nap I will come on with my recipe and what I use to make my cakes!

andrea......if u go to tescos (in the party bit where they sell the cards, wrapping paper etc, u should see packs of small toys n stuff for goody bags) i got some pink wands...i think there was 5 in a pack for aout £1.00-£1.50....u can just use one, and keep the rest for other cakes. let me c if i can find the pic.....

https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1425/21/107/509248322/n509248322_1124323_6703.jpg
they can take it out n keep it then.

raf...thats a real pretty cake!! have u done any cake decorating before?
to stack.......
https://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Decorating-a-Wedding-Cake/Detail.aspx

LOL Tracey! I was just saying to my sister that I had seen a little princess tiara in asda and was thinking about using one! :D

Great minds think alike!

andrea......if u go to tescos (in the party bit where they sell the cards, wrapping paper etc, u should see packs of small toys n stuff for goody bags) i got some pink wands...i think there was 5 in a pack for aout £1.00-£1.50....u can just use one, and keep the rest for other cakes. let me c if i can find the pic.....

https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1425/21/107/509248322/n509248322_1124323_6703.jpg
they can take it out n keep it then.

raf...thats a real pretty cake!! have u done any cake decorating before?
to stack.......
https://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Decorating-a-Wedding-Cake/Detail.aspx

Nope, never decorated. I have done quite a bit of baking and cooking but I'm the type of person who makes something out of nothing in cupboards rather than following a recipe :lol:

Nic, this is my sponge recipe, it has been pretty failsafe so far!

6 Eggs (weigh them with the shells and then equal measures of.....
SR flour sieved 3 times
caster sugar sieved 3 times
stork margarine

I replace 3 heaped dessertspoons of flour for the same measure of cocoa powder for a chocolate cake

Cream together the sugar and marg til it increases in volume and is really fluffy looking then gradually add the eggs with a spoonful of flour each time.
then mix in the rest of the flour.
Seperate the mix into two 8" tins

Then I bake at 180degrees for about 40 mins (I have a fan assisted oven)

once cool I cut it down so it is all straight and even, fill with vanilla buttercream with Jam for plain cakes or Chocolate fudge for choccy ones!

Basic things I think you will need for the decorating.....

Cake Boards (drum and thin board for stacking)

Cake dowels

Fondant icing

Icing sugar for rolling out

buttercream (you can buy it or make your own)

quality food colourings, if you seach online you will find professional pastes and liquids and the colours are much better and wont fade :thumbup:

A longer rolling pin than the standard (although you can manage without it, it has been a godsend since I bought mine!!)

circle cutters, get yourself on to ebay and have a look about, I got my set of circles for £2 , which is REALLY cheap compared to some places!

Edible glue for sticking on your dots

a good quality paintbrush for using with your glue.

If I think of anything else I'll come back and let you know!

When is her christening?
xxx

Thanks SO much! :hugs:

Haven't booked her Christening yet, but we're thinking November. I'm just looking up invitations and churches now.

Haven't decided if I should have it at home or at work(hotel) though. Latter costs more, but then I'll have no cleaning up! :lol:

andrea ur recipe sounds just like mine......what tins do u use though?

i just bake one 8" at a time....if i put two in, i always get one that turns out crap! lol
i cook at approx 150 and it takes around an hour.
i use stork marg too :)

that choc fudge filling sounds to DIE for!!! how do u make it?? i just use chocolate buttercream....or sometimes for a treat i make mint buttercream....so its like mint chocolate! or orange, for chocolate orange!" YUUUUUUUM!!

but im so weird....if i put peppermint flavour into the buttercream i HAVE to put a bit of green colouring into it to make it green...or else it doesnt taste minty enough :rofl: how weird am i!! it looks pretty cool though!

rafwife heres my pis of my spotty cake , i only wanted to do a two teir aswell

https://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/rainbowprincess83_2009/DSCF0839.jpg

That cake looks fab pink! :) What other stuff do you have there on the table, and what are the boxes next to the cake?

theres personalised chocs and godparent gifts (next to cake) and personalised keyrings

pink thats fab!!

andrea i totally forgot to tell u...do u know about the interntional cake show in Birmingham...dont know how far that is from u? i went last year.....LOADS of amazing cakes there and inspiration, n then u can buy LOADS of cake decorating stuff (a tad dear in some places, but bargains in another!) with new cake gadgets too!! u can even enter cake making competitions for all different levels n areas.

think the tickets are about £8.00

i drove 2 hours to get there....queued in a giant queue (coz top gear was on at the same time!) n came home with 3 pots of glitter n a jigsaw cutter :rofl:

:rofl: just noticed u were from scotland!! lol thats a fair drive!! ha ha

lol did u go saturday or sunday?
i went sunday and OMG u cudnt get round...it was totally packed out n the people were ridiculous! pushing n shoving like mad!!!

we went sat! it was mad!! people were being vicious too pushing people out of the way

check this out girls :rofl:

https://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/search/label/Literal LOLs

pink yeah....thats whats stopping me from going this year. it was ridiculous.....u couldnt get to half of the stands, everyone was pushing and u couldnt see any demontrations being done. at one point i thought....'no just push in...everyone else is doing it' but on the other hand....i thought no....im not going to stoop to their level!! :rofl: people dont need to be so rude!! hence why i only came away with a few bits.....but i thought some of it was pretty dear anyway....did u?

raf...that link is awful :rofl: can u believe people actually did that!! its mental! LOL

I'm makina chocolate cake later when LO is in bed :) Already made the ganache which i'll whip up later :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->