Cake Making & Baking Group

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy some black fondant. Can anybody tell me where you can buy it from please?

Morrisons have had some in lately or you could try
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=black+regalice

No problem MelonPanini

Welcome to BabyandBump xx

I need some advice when it comes to fondant/ready to roll icing.

I have tried using it in the past and have colour it with a colour powder which seems to colour it nicely. Once I have cut the shapes I want I have left to dry and go hard however if I leave them for longer than an hour or so or apply them to cakes they seem to start going sticky and have a horrible wet look.

How do I stop this?

Hey Snowy-Willow - Not quite sure why they seem to be going 'wet' - do you put them in the fridge?? This can sometimes make them sweat & go sticky? Or if your room temp is quite warm this will also have the same affect. I use tylo to make my bits go hard and I leave them in a sealed container out on the side and never had any problems with them.

I know this doesnt seem like much help, sorry X

Hey Snowy-Willow - Not quite sure why they seem to be going 'wet' - do you put them in the fridge?? This can sometimes make them sweat & go sticky? Or if your room temp is quite warm this will also have the same affect. I use tylo to make my bits go hard and I leave them in a sealed container out on the side and never had any problems with them.

I know this doesnt seem like much help, sorry X

I have tried various different containers to just covering with cling film. I don't put them in the fridge just leave them at room temperature. They do dry and go hard at first but after an hour or so will start with the wet and sticky look. I have tried using them straight away to leaving them a few days but nothing seems to help.

Candur lovely cakes!

Snowy when I dry mine I put them on a foam pad and don't cover them at all. Using foam lets the air to the otherside of the icing. I find if I cover them it does turn the icing sticky if it's not already completely dry.

Candur lovely cakes!

Snowy when I dry mine I put them on a foam pad and don't cover them at all. Using foam lets the air to the otherside of the icing. I find if I cover them it does turn the icing sticky if it's not already completely dry.

I have tried not covering them but after about an hour they still go sticky. I have tried waiting until they go hard (doesn't take too long) and waiting longer but no matter what I do they seem to just go sticky. I have tried drying them on a plate, on a glass chopping board, on a cake rack etc but still have the same problem

Are you using Regalice pro? The only things I can think of is that it's either a reaction with the powder colour (do you have the same problem with paste colour?), is the area you're drying them in too warm/damp, or are you using too much trex on your hands/worksurface?

Are you using Regalice pro? The only things I can think of is that it's either a reaction with the powder colour (do you have the same problem with paste colour?), is the area you're drying them in too warm/damp, or are you using too much trex on your hands/worksurface?

I have tried various different types of fondant, the last attempt was asda ready to roll fondant. I have never tried paste colour as a) can't afford to keep buying different types of colouring for what is essentially just me playing around b) unless I buy it online I have nowhere else to get it from and c) I am quickly running out of space to keep everything!!

They are starting to dry and do start to go hard but then as soon as you put them on buttercream or anything they start to go wet and sticky or if you leave them drying too long they go wet and sticky. Last time I tried I was at the dining room table rather than the kitchen but that didn't help either.

I don't use trex (never heard of it), I read and have been recommended either icing sugar or cornflour both of which I have tried without success.

Unfortunatly it sounds as if it's a reaction to the powder colouring and I have no idea how to fix it. How annoying! I know what you mean, it's all so expensive and takes up a vast amount of room!

Not as fab as yours ladies but I thought I'd share x

https://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww334/maliki79/102_3028.jpg

No way, you have to at least have a taste!!! You're a stronger woman than me lol

I may just nibble at the party tomoro then starve all week he he

They are starting to dry and do start to go hard but then as soon as you put them on buttercream or anything they start to go wet and sticky or if you leave them drying too long they go wet and sticky.

I have found if you put figurines directly on buttercream, they 'melt', go all sticky and floppy as the fondant pulls the moisture from the buttercream or other icing/frosting. The work-around this is to place your shapes on a piece of polystyrene, foam or thick foil-wrapped cardboard so that the fondant bottom doesn't actually touch the icing/frosting.

It could also be that you have very high humidity, in that case, it would be worth making gum paste by adding some Gum Tragacanth/Tylose powder/CMC powder (they all do basically the same thing.) Here are a couple links that explain how to do that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIc4YC8i6Pc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZs_HAPOpmM

Also, this is such a cool technique, I'll slip it in here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOTdwsbgDV8

You want to make sure you use Cornflour/ Cornstarch not powdered/confectioner's sugar when rolling out. Powdered sugar is hygroscopic and will draw moisture to it, especially if you are in a high humidity situation. (Even central heating will do this!)

Trex is white vegetable shortening, in the States it's known as Crisco. It is odourless, flavourless and it is used to make sure your fondant doesn't stick to your surface and it adds moisture to prevent cracking.

I hope that helps! Good luck and let us know, please, if you nail it!

omg has anyone got traceys fbook page!! t-cakes i think it is... you should see what shes been upto and the simpson cake!!.. bloody amazing!!

Isnt it just she really is a talented lady x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->