Cake Making & Baking Group

Jo, me neither!! I aint got nothing now until Jan so not too bad :)

:wave: Hello girls :)

Err... i want to learn to make cakes. I have several cake books and im so envious of the people that can make them so i want to make my own! Besides, i will be working from home soon so no doubt i will get bored :lol:

Could you give me a "starters kit" list, of bits i will need to make cupcakes?

Nothing fancy, i can just pick things up as i go along :) Thankyou :flower: x

I would say the best bits you can have is a good mixer and a good 12 hole tin
the 12 piece icing bag set from craft company is a must as well IMO
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/wilton-12-piece-cupcake-decorating-set.html

I just pick bits and peices up from the supermarket.
If you are wanting to colour your Icings go for the sugarflair range
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/ingredients/colourings/gel-colouring-pastes.html
the supercook from supermarkets etc... is too wet to get a good consitancy.
Also make sure you have a good set of weighing scales, I use digital as it is important to be excat with most recipes.
good luck x

i was thinking about making new years cupcakes but i dont think its going to happen...i dont have any of my baking stuff :(

i havent made any cupcakes for weeks now.. think I will do a set this week.

Hello Ladies! :wave:

Can I join? :cake:

I have always had a passion for cupcakes and cakes and only recently decided to start getting into baking.
For Christmas my aunty and brother brought me some recipe books and a cupcake kit which I have already used and loved.

I have just spent a small fortune on ebay buying some bits and have also been surfing the internet too.

Would be nice if I could get some tips from you lovely ladies.

:cake: lol

Laura x

o dear girls i havent been to this thread for ages sorry!!
no new cakes from me!! pregnancy seems to has disabled my sweet tasting taste buds.. boohooo!!

Does anyone have tips for doing the swirly icing? I have a wilton set now but wondered if it was just the tip I was using or if its me. Lol. Im new to this but wondered if there was any tips. I havent used my wilton yet.

For mine and I think most of the girls here we use the Wilton 1M, the biggest star/flower one.

I haven't really done any for ages, too busy at work to fit it in but I did do 4 Xmas cakes, if I can work out how to get the pic from my phone I'll show you.

I'm having a bit of a wobble though now as I have an order of 54 to do for Fri Morning but I haven't got my bits and bobs yet, last check they were in tyneside so hopefully will be here in the morning other wise I am seriously going to have to rethink my plans :(

Thanks. I got that today. I ordered a set from ebay. I have two others too. There is a website that sells all the bits so I plan to buy them bit by bit.
I shall give this a go when I have time and then I will let you know how I get on!

Which are the best icing pipers to get? And are there any good cake recipes?

Not been here for a while but I thought I'd pop in and show you the cake I did for my daughters 13th birthday. I ended up doing 3 tier instead of 2,talk about giving myself extra work lol.
It all went well, but I think the large bottom tier tasted a touch dry. The top tier still tastes gorgeous today- 6 days after it was made! So how do you all keep large cakes moist??! I've frozen the middle tier as not as many guests turned up to DD's party as we expected,so we ended up with waayyyyy too much cake haahha. Its my 30th birthday in 8 weeks and was thinking I'd use it as my cake,will it be ok in freezer till then? Its wrappe in clingfilm.

Attachments

• kayleighs cake resize.jpg
    kayleighs cake resize.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 21
  • cake resize.jpg
    cake resize.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 18
Not yet, but I believe they are a pain in the arse! You shouldnt touch em with your hands/fingers and should be applied like right at the last minute to stop humidity etc tarnishing the 'clarity'

You thinking of using them? xx

I forget to come back to this thread :dohh:

I was thinking of using them if I did cupcakes for my wedding but I'm stressed enough as it is so not doing them. :lol:

Which are the best icing pipers to get? And are there any good cake recipes?

Wilton 1m nozzle and disposable piping bags here :)

I've not made any recently, because I end up eating them and the wedding is too close :haha: x

I'm going to be making cupcakes with sugarpaste rolled out on top. The book I'm using, Lindy Smiths, Bake me I'm yours... cupcake celbration says before rollingout the sugarpaste the surface should be slighly smeared in vegtable fat (shortening). What is this? I'm probably being stupid aren't I :rofl:

I'm going to be making cupcakes with sugarpaste rolled out on top. The book I'm using, Lindy Smiths, Bake me I'm yours... cupcake celbration says before rollingout the sugarpaste the surface should be slighly smeared in vegtable fat (shortening). What is this? I'm probably being stupid aren't I :rofl:

I have just ordered that book. :thumbup:

That's Trex, you'll find it with the butter and stork in the butter and spreads refridgerator. A little goes a VERY long way!

I love Lindy Smiths cakes and cookies, so beautifully designed. I have her wonky cake dvd and it's superb. I had a go at making one and the carving came out great but could I cover it? Could I beggery! I kept ripping my fondant grrrrrr!

I've bought some of her stencils to have a go at the same types of cupcakes as you're making. Good luck with them!

Thank you so much Whoppy-pop. I'll post some piccies once I get all my stuff delivered and I get going with it all. It's my attempt at trying to not get obsessed with IVF, that I'm currently going through. This is so I have something else to focus my energy on. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->