Cake Making & Baking Group

Yeah I agree, I havent seen a pepper cake that looks cute! lol

I'm so jealous of you ladies. You make such gorgeous cupcakes and cakes!! Wish mine were half as good!!!
Happy Birthday to Amelia.

i was going to make my Lo a peppa cake for her first birthday, but they just dont look right. i have no idea what im going to do and i have 1 month to decide

Whoppy did you use a textured rolling pin for the discs that the number 2 is on

Does anyone have a good ginger cake recipe that I can use for cupcakes?
My aunty wants some ginger ones for a friends leaving do on Thursday but I HATE ginger (apart from ginger nuts :wacko:) I cant bring myself to try it using my own recipe just adding ginger and golden syrup..

I can't see whats wrong with that cake??!! Looks excellent!! They all do, this thread is so inspiring!

Butterflies and flowers....never tried them before, how do you make them? I've bought the cutters..is it just normal fondant, flower paste, or a mix of the 2? I'm ordering a few things online, will a 200g pack of flower paste be enough to make about 6 butterflies, a few flowers and some letters?

Helz - it depends! If you want them to just sit flat on a cake, you can just use fondant. If you want them to be 'shaped' - I.e. Butterflies in a V shape or blossom leaves turned upwards, you're better of using flower paste. 200g will be plenty, you only need a small amount as you roll it out really thinly anyway.

Laura - no idea about the ginger cake I'm afraid

Helz - 200g is more than enough :) If you want you're butterflies to stand like they're in flight, I use tylo powder. It makes the sugar go hard so it will hold its shape. Fold a piece of card in and 'W' shape and place the butterflies in between the up triangles and they will set like they're about to take off/just landed.

Flowers, I use the same. Think others might do it different. I roll out my icing cut out the petals and then I use a ball tool to make the edges even thinner. then I wrap the petals to make a flower. Not an expert in this area though - egg boxes are good for placing the icing in to set :) I used flowerpaste once and found it really hard to use so havent really tried it again :dohh: I just stick to what I know best if I can :) Good luck x

Thankyou both xx
Cassandra- so I don't need to buy flower paste I can just buy tylo powder and mix that into some fondant icing? How much tylo powder do you mix in?

Yeah I use tylo for most things lol. I've never really measured it out and kinda know now just from using it how much I need. That doesnt help you much though really. Just add a sprinkle at time using the tip of a teaspoon spoon and knead it in. If you put too much in it'll make you're fondant not mix very well and go 'dry' :) x

Right need your HELP ladies...

I'm doing a christening cake for my LO, Olivia. I dont want it to be the norm christening cake, booties, blocks etc, something a little different using pastel colours. The twist is, I am also getting christened on the same day, so it'll kinda be a joint cake but I dont wanna take the focus away from Liv so maybe just a little token thing on it that resembles me! Does that make sense?

So what d'yall think?

:help:

Could you perhaps make a topper of a mother and baby / child? Perhaps like this. It's not very 'christening', but you could make it more so by adding detail around the cake. Would definitely be for / resemble both you and the miss

i was going to make my Lo a peppa cake for her first birthday, but they just dont look right. i have no idea what im going to do and i have 1 month to decide

Whoppy did you use a textured rolling pin for the discs that the number 2 is on

Gemti I used a plastic impression mat on them.

Cassandra what about something like this https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...dsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:142&biw=1366&bih=575

But instead of the creepy looking bunny thing (scary!!!) why not make a model of a Mummy holding a baby or child?

Look what one of my filthy friends did to my cake models:rofl:

https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/200466_10150166256043109_641393108_8201463_3869419_n.jpg

Haha!!! Thats funny!

I am looking on the net for a ginger cake recipe but I only need a small one! Hopefully something comes up..

Here are some that I did over the weekend.

My pigs cracked so I need to be more careful. Need loads more practice. I realised I had the flag upside down when I took pic so changed it after.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 19
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 22
Whoppy - :haha: pure filth!

Laura - fab cakes! The pigs are so cute! I read that microwaving the fondant for a few seconds before using can soften it a bit and prevent cracking.

Mmmm Laura they're fab! And look so yummy!

Will this ginger cake recipe help? https://www.tesco.com/recipes/product.aspx?R=908&bci=4294967183|Traditional*9|Easy

I tried Easter Nest Cupcakes!!

What dya think? effective huh? wanted to use nicer eggs than just mini eggs, so these are from M & S!

https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/customised%20buggys/cakes%20n%20stuff/21032011139.jpg https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/customised%20buggys/cakes%20n%20stuff/21032011137.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->