Cake Making & Baking Group

Thanks Cassandra! Yeah I will try that one and let you know. They are for thursday and I am off work so will have time to practice.

I didnt use fondant, I used royal icing. I think it cracked because I had rolled it and rolled it lol. It was so dry so maybe a little less icing the board lol.

I may try fondant though and see if thats better.

I ordered some funky cutters from ebay like handprints and large butterflies so cant wait for those to come.

I have also had to ask my dad to do me two shelves in my kitchen cos I have no room anymore lol.. Hopefully he is coming today to do them. I need them up so badly.

Girls - I need some inspiration for LOs birthday cake. I was planning on a Waybuloo cake, but I really don't think my skills are upto it and I haven't got enough time to practice a lot.

I want to do either an 8" round cake and some cupcakes, or possibly a tiered cake (but again, not sure if I could pull it off)

I've got no idea what to do! The only thing I've got so far, is a little red wooden '1' on a wire that MIL bought.

Any ideas very greatfully received. Need to practice/make decorations this week as party is on 2nd and I've got 2 cakes and some cupcakes to make the week before that :dohh:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...a=X&ei=hxyJTbWVEtOEhQeU3f2vDg&ved=0CDIQ9QEwBQ This would be really easy to make and wouldn't take too long, you can just alter it slightly for whichever Pipling you wanted to make. Then you could make matching cuppies like these https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...1t:429,r:7,s:20&tx=103&ty=67&biw=1366&bih=575

Whoppy you're a genius! I hadn't even thought of just doing a face. How hard do you think it would be to make it oval instead of round? I've got a 10" tin, I suppose it's just a case of shaving the sides down to make them longer...

I think I'm going to stick with buttercream on the cupcakes as sone of my family prefer it to fondant. Might do green buttercream with Nara bugs on them like these:
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/4507336255_03cc048995.jpg

Oh wow yes I LOVE the nara bugs! They'll look fab! Can't wait to see them!

I would probably bake a round cake, make a template from card and then cut round it.

Hope they come out well for you Cocoa!
I have some baby shower ones to do this weekend and my leader at Slimming World said she has her sons first birthday and his Christening coming up!

I know SIL wedding isnt til August but I am so nervous about making, icing, decorating, boxing and driving 80 cupcakes to the venue! Would I be best making the cakes the day before and then icing them in the morning? Wedding is at 2pm I think. Its a 40 minute drive and I might have to do it on my own!

Laura I wouldn't rush yourself trying to get them iced in the morning. I'd bake them in the morning of the day before, let them cool and settle until tea time then ice them all. Make your toppers in the week before and then add them the morning of the wedding to prevent them wilting. That way your icing will be set and they'll be easier to transport and lift out of the boxes for your display x

I just imagined them to go a bit hard. But I suppose if they are boxed then it wont be too bad. What about the weather though? My kitchen gets sunlight all day. Maybe I'd be best moving them into another room once they are boxed. Sorry all these silly questions but its the first big order I have done.. Only done like 48 before nothing like this one. I have another wedding next April and thats 140 but thats a long way off yet.

If they're covered with buttercream then they will set even in the time that they're on the stand so don't worry about that hun, as long as the cakes haven't gone stale it's perfectly normal. I just wouldn't put any gumpaste toppers on too far in advance otherwise the moisture from the buttercream will cause them to wilt or go sticky. You might be best off keeping them out of the sun so that the cakes don't sweat too x

Her toppers are made out of royal icing but I can put them on in the morning just before I am leaving.
OH cant get the time off so I might have to go on my own but with the twins too its gonna be hard work so hoping that if OH cant make it then his mum will take them with her in the morning, they are bridesmaids anyway.

God Laura, how you get any baking done with twins around is beyond me! I agree with Whoppy, do them the day before.

I started on the narabugs today, they've come out quite well so far, I'm pleased with them. Dreading doing the eyes though! :haha:

Laura - how did you get on with your ginger cake??

Well tonight ladies I passed my Food & Hygiene course online :happydance: first step to starting my own business! Whoooooop xx

I used your recipe and it was DELICIOUS! I am on Slimming World and I dont like ginger but even I liked it lol. It was lovely, thanks for finding that recipe. Its now pinned to my fridge lol.. They were for my mums darts team and my mums best friend for a bloke who is leaving from her work. Will hear feedback tomorrow!
Here are the pics..

Oh and OH got the time off so I wont be totally on my own the morning of the wedding.. I am gonna get the majority sorted the night before so then I dont have SO much to do in the morning, then just put the toppers on. I am excited just 5 months to go :haha:

I brought some handprint cutters the other day and I cant wait to use them. Have some cakes to do this weekend so gonna give them a try then!

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
Oooo they look lush :) Glad it turned out OK xx

Anyone got a good recipe for lemon sponge cake & chocolate cherry cake peerrrrrlease? xx

Well done Cassandra! :thumbup: I usually just chuck a couple of tbsp of lemon juice and some lemon zest in my normal sponge mix.

Laura - those cakes look yummy! I love ginger cake

Well I started making the narabugs for LOs cupcakes, and even though they look nothing like narabugs, I was pretty pleased with them (first time I've done any 'modelling') so I decided I'd have a go at the piplings and see how they turned out:

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/87d99409.jpg
https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/90e6cca7.jpg

They are far from perfect. They eyes look a little odd but I couldn't find anything to make them the right size, they were either too big or too small :dohh: But I'm really pleased with them. I dropped Lau Lau on the floor earlier :dohh: Luckily I managed to salvage her ear! :haha:

wow theyre brill!! lovin the nara bugs! how cute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->