Cake Making & Baking Group

Quick question ladies :)

I bought myself a piping bag yesterday and decorated my cupcakes with buttercream icing, so just butter and icing sugar, but they looked... runny! It looked quite stiff in the bowl! So the pattern kinda melted if that makes sense. What am i doing wrong ?

How long did you leave the cakes before you iced them? What quantity did you use of both butter and icing and also did you use butter or spreadable butter? I find that changes the consistancy too.

I left the cakes an hour, i used spreadable butter. Its the only one i had. Was i mean to use the hard stuff? and if so, ive only got a hand whisk so would it be hard to mix ? Im such an amateur ! lol

Mummytobe - I use double icing sugar to butter eg: 100g butter 200g (sometimes more if needed) icing.

I found that 'I cant believe its not butter' or 'stork' butter were best but thats just me :)

Sometimes if i'm having a 'hard' day of it, I put my empty bowl and spoon in the fridge until cold so it keeps the mixture colder, obviously warm makes the butter melt :) x

I also mix by hand x

I use spreadable butter and normal butter depends on what I have in.

If I use normal butter then I use double the icing sugar, if I use spreadable I use double and then add 2oz extra to make it thicker. It doesnt really change the flavour for me so its ok. If you make it up and put it in your piping bag in the fridge that should help.

I whisk by hand or using my electric whisk, both come out ok.

Thanks :) Ill give it another go this week. Hopefully they will look good enough to put a pic up :D

Did you use colouring? That can make it runny sometimes.

I never weigh i just keep adding more and more icing sugar until it's thick enough.

the 1st batch i used colouring. Which was awful. Its like it didnt even mix in with it. i cant explain it! I hope you can understand what i mean. When i piped it out it was a greeny colour (used blue clolouring) but with blue bits in places !

I prefer to weigh so I know but try Glitterfairy's way and see if that works.
I only use sugarflair and silver spoon. I dont use Dr Oetker as its like water. Dont add any milk either.

Oh thanks. I didnt know there was such thing !! I will have a look out !! Thanks again as im gonna be baking this weekend :) xx

Sorry for crashing the thread ladies but I need cake advice! I've said I'll make a carrot cake for my sister's birthday on Monday but I don't have a recipe! I've googled and found a few but wondered if anyone had a favourite recipe?
:flower:

Sorry no carrot cake recipe here.

I use sugarflair but I also use silver spoon its like a gel rather than a liquid.

Good Day Cakey Peeps :D

Whats everyone up to this week?

I'm just in the process of baking my first wonky cake eek! My oven's playing up a little so its a gamble how my baking turns out :s Having problems with the heat and the oven not being level - great!

So the cake maker has been decided for the Royal cake! y'know its me right :D (I wish!) Cant wait to see what it looks like! Every 'event' I hear of now whether its a friends birthday/wedding or something on a bigger scale I always look out for the cake! I'm a cake geek!!

Love me xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->