Cake Making & Baking Group

nothing for me this week. next month i have sophies 1st birthday cake and a 12" square fishing theme cake which im not looking forward to. not done a 12" square before.

Cassie did your cert come for the food hygiene course? x

Yeah Gem, it looks fab! Got a hologram on it :) Did you do yours? xx

No, i was waiting for you to do yours first lol x

i think i will do it once i get paid. If its worth it dont really seem to be getting many orders at the mo

It cost £30, there's about 6-7 modules to it and you get 5 attempts at the test. Need 75% to pass, but its multi choice questions and they're not hard :)

I built up my cake profile by doing family cakes for a year..expensive presents I suppose but it's built up my confidence and profile hee hee and from that I get loads of people asking for em, funny I dont get any cupcake orders though! xx

Can anyone help? I've baked a square cake but it has rounded corners instead of a nice clean cut... if i cut the corners so that they are nice and 'sharp', will the cake fall apart?

Wow, such amazing cakes ladies! The Christening one with the blocks, the nursery rhyme one and the Waybuloo one ... wow!!!!

The cupcakes look beautiful too!

Chewycookie- I have no idea hun sorry. I wouldn't attempt it personally but I'm a total novice.

I have a question for you ladies- especially those who make stacked fondant cakes- how do you cut and serve a cake with dowels in it? Do you cut it into squares instead of wedge slices?

Question...just made some cupcakes with white fondant on top.I usually use buttercream or apricot Jam to stick the fondant to the cake but i didn't have time so i quickly made up some water icing....was that ok to use to stick the fondant to the cake?

so who has just been watching Tracey on channel 4? Me lol

Arggggggggggghhhhh!!

Help! Does anyone use Tesco fondant? I've just made a cake for my sister and it has cracked all over the place. I worked pretty quickly with it, and must have been well kneaded as I coloured it pink first. The first lot I did was so bad that I threw it out and tried again with just plain White, and the same thing happened. It looks rubbish :cry:
It's happened with the other cakes I've done, but assumed I was just a bit pants at it, but now I'm thinking it's the icing..... I'm too cheap to buy regalice but I might have to track some down tomorrow as I've got to make LOs birthday cake. I'm so stressed!!

What's the Tracey programme?

Redrose - I've always wondered that too!

Chewy - you'll be fine to cut them sharper - just be careful! You can make the edges sharper using smoothers once youve iced it too. Check YouTube for how to cover a square cake.

Redrose> I assume so? They're pretty big really so not a choke hazard so either way would be fine?

Glitter > Not sure, how did you get on with it?

Gem> I missed it! Damn, thought it was tomorrow - I'll catch it on 4oD

Cocoa, I found the same problem - Tesco icing is poo! But sometimes thats all I have in if my cake shop is closed. On the white cake you can fill in the cracks with some royal icing, just make it slightly runny like fairy cake icing, and it sets hard. You could try it with the pink although you might struggle to match up the colour. Think Asda do one but not tried that myself, I always try and get the cake shop stuff. Sorry hun, let me know how you get on! xx

Well i dunno what they taste like as they are for a friend but they look like this....

Attachments

• P3313497.jpg
    P3313497.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Cassandra - I'm glad it's not just me. I was thinking that I was doing something terribly wrong.

I don't think we've got a cake shop. Our hobbycraft was sold out of the good stuff earlier, so I'll have to try Tesco/asda/Sainsbury tomorrow and hope I can find some. Thanks for the tip re:royal icing. I had a box of it in the cupboard but it's gone now (pretty sure I didn't use all of it, OH probably chucked it :dohh:)

Glitter - YUMMY! Very nice xx

Cocoa - Yeah, its pants. Hobbycraft is very expensive I find!! To be honest, you're sometimes better paying for it online the price of p&p isnt that bad if you stock up? My local cake shop has an online shop and they do p&p on weight so I use different online shops depending on what i'm ordering.

www.windsorcakecraft.co.uk :)

Well here's tonights cake! My first 3tier and my first wonky cake, more like willy wonka cake as it looks a bit mad! lol - Not exactly what I was trying to achieve but i'm proud of it :D

Oh and excuse the dodgy tiles in the kitchen, we haven't decorated from the guy who lived here before, and lets just say, its not our taste! :sick: :haha:

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196717_10150160270832225_516032224_6305722_6190660_n.jpg

Your cake looks lovely !!! :thumbup:

Need some help please. I just love baking but im starting to give up now :cry: Its my second go at icing my coffee and walnut cupcakes and its STILL runny and looks rubbish !! I used over double the amount of icing sugar as i had to put coffee in it and even put it in the fridge. Can someone tell me where im going wrong please :shrug: :flower:

Attachments

• DSC01607.jpg
    DSC01607.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79