Cake Making & Baking Group

I dont use stork. I use blocks of butter for my icing, the hard butter in packets. And what nozzle are you using? To get it like some of the pics on here you need to invest in a wilton 1m.
I am guessing its the butter thats the problem cos I use and electric whisk and a hand whisk and mine still comes out ok each time.

I put the butter in the microwave for about 10-30 seconds depending on how much and wait til its soft enough that you can squish it but not so its melted and then I mix it with my icing.

Grr i have the hard butter in the fridge and everything :(

So with the nozzles.. well i just bought a cheapy piping bag that came with 5 nozzles or whatever from dunelm mill, but could that also be a prob ?

The nozzle won't be a problem in that it's runny, but it just won't give the same shape as the Wilton 1M. It's still perfectly use-able though, just don't expect the icing to look the same as the other cupcakes on here.

As for how runny it is, try to use butter from a pack rather than spreadable butter, it will set harder than spreadable. If using anything liquid, be it flavouring or colouring, you'll need to use more icing sugar (as you have done) to get it to firm up. Try the different butter, hope you'll get on better as the cupcakes do look yummy!

I use stork and swear by it - never failed for me :)

Mix by hand, and just make sure your kitchen isnt too warm! :)

Wow lovely cuppies, and I LOVE that wonky! It's so good, the black and silver looks so effective too!

Here are some cuppies a friend asked me to make for her mum. Her mum's fav colour is purple;

https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0111.jpg
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0108.jpg

I had one left over so my mum will be getting this one. She doesn't eat much cake so a box full would go to waste!
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0113.jpg

Whoppy they are beautiful!

Cassandra - that tipsy turvy cake is amazing! Love the colours especially.

I use either 250g butter (or 125g butter & 125g trex) at room temp, 600g icing sugar, 2 tbsp of milk & 1 tsp vanilla flavouring for my buttercream. I use my mixer cos I'm too lazy to do it by hand :haha:

I tracked down some professional regalice and some Dr Oetker regal-ice. Fingers crossed that LOs cake turns out ok. I've baked a 10" layer cake, 27 choc muffins and 8 egg-free vanilla muffins today. Just got to ice and decorate now. It's going to be a loooong night....

Whoppie - Nice cuppies! :thumbup: I love the ones with the bows on, the texture roller is soo effective! :)

Love them purple cupcakes!!

I've not posted in ages but I've been reading..infact I've been going back through this whole thread! So far I'm up to page 455! Just thought I'd read back to see if I can pick up some tips I might have missed/forgotten about.

Thought I'd post a few pics of my latest cakes...

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 7
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8
and this one.....

Attachments

• bens pokeball cake and cupcakes.jpg
    bens pokeball cake and cupcakes.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 9
  • cross section bens pokeball cake.jpg
    cross section bens pokeball cake.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 11
my next one is a 3 tier birthday cake this week...don't know if I'm brave or just stupid,or both lol but I'm attampting making some roses for the top tier. Any tips? xx

I jst wanted to say ladies, all your cakes are fantastic!!

Are any of you from sussex area, and mabe interested in giving me a qoute for my daughter first birthday cake :flower: x

Helz your cakes are lovely! I love how delicate the barbie's dress it, lovely work. Good luck with the 3 tier! I've not braved making propper roses but there are tons of vids on youtube x

Hi Ladies. Hope you all had a lovely weekend!!!

Here are some new ones from me

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 9
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 9
Helz > FAB cakes!! Roses - Roll out your flower paste really thin, cut out your petal and use a ball tool & sponge to thin the petal and give it a rose 'shape' , you can then use a veiner to give it rose veins. Make a centre for your rose and add each petal individually...hope that make sense, but yeah youtube you is ace for tutorials xx

Lollipop - Sorry I'm up north nr.manchester x

Laura - Soooooo cute! :)

I'm in love with my mini chocolate bar mould! I did them in pink also.

Yeah I been trawling you tube for rose tutorials, I made the centers for them yesterday (little cones) there hanging up to dry out at the mo. Will I need petal dust for them or do they look nice without it too?

Filling a vanilla sponge cake: do you ladies do the jam layer first then butter cream or the other way round??

Personal preference - I like them with tbh :) Let us know how you get on xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->