Cake Making & Baking Group

I always beat my butter until it is a bit fluffy before adding in my icing sugar, when I do it all in one step it can go a bit curdly. Also i have the hummingbird book and if you do beat the butter first then the buttercream will be fine for piping.

Thanks Girls x Seeing as that one went so well we are making my nieces birthday cakes in June, S wants a butterfly & L doesnt know yet x Think I'm going to make DH a golf ball one for his birthday in July x
My buttercream always looks like its curdled :-( Am I best to start with the icing sugar & add the butter?? You guys cupcakes always look lush, the frosting in my hummingbird book isnt piped on like yours so dont think the frosting recipe in there will be like the one I need x

Cassandra as always those cakes are amazing x I love the carriage x
On the golf cake, what did you use for the sand?? is it just crushed digestives or something? x

We have a book club at work & they bring all different things in & this week they have a 13 piece silicone bakeware set for £12 & DH is buying it for me I'm so excited lol said i'll make him a cake to say thank you :happydance:

Laura - Glad everything worked out in the end x
GF- Thanks for the tips hun :thumbup:

Yup - Digestive biscuits :) Works a treat x

Oh wow cassandra those cakes and cuppies are all fab, I particularly like the carriage cake, so cute and girly. Fab work!

Here are some quick princess cuppies I made;

https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0173.jpg

Whoopy I LOVE those little tiaras!! And that stand is gorgeous! xx

Whoopy! I love them!

Here is the giant cupcake and cupcakes I did for saturday and some cupcakes I did for my friends daughter on Friday

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 24
Lauta - the cupcakes & Giant Cuppie is fab x I love the little lego bricks on the cuppies x
I might have to re make my cuppies this weekend if I get some time x

Oooo Laura, your buttercream looks devine! Is that just butter & icing??

So cute btw X

Thanks.. The giant cupcake has betty crocker mixed into it :haha: I needed it really solid to hold. The pink ones are just buttercream.

Got my caterpillar ones this weekend I am so excited to do them.

Thanks Cassandra the stand was a little prezzie from my mum to cheer me up when Dave and I broke up. It's so girly!

Laura your giant and normal cuppies are gorgeous! Where did you get the Lego mold from? x

Thanks Cassandra the stand was a little prezzie from my mum to cheer me up when Dave and I broke up. It's so girly!

Laura your giant and normal cuppies are gorgeous! Where did you get the Lego mold from? x

I just got the Lego from ebay. Been searching for the mold everywhere but cant find it...

Has anyone attempted a cupcake bouquet?? I am waiting on my stuff to arrive and then I am gonna try..

oooh just googles cupcake bouquet, they are amazing x look forward to seeing your laura x

Thinking about making some easter cuppies x yellow frosting with mini eggs on top, simple ones for a first attempt x

I see them a while back and wondered how they were done and then I googled and it told me how to make them.. I am waiting for my stuff but if it dont arrive today it will either be Saturday or Tuesday now cos of the bank holiday.

Good luck with the Easter cuppies Reedy, hope your buttercream comes out well.

Hey I desperately need some advice...
I've decided to bake cupcakes biccies and a big cake for my sons christening! (60 people) eeek!
Can anyone help me with a biccie recipe? Just an easy plain one?
And then how do I stop my butter icing curdling/looking yucky?
And finally how do I make the cake toppers? I was going to try something simple like blue blocks with his name on?
Sorry for all the questions!!
Thanks!

Cant help with the biscuits, never done them before sorry :)

As for your buttercream, make sure you have plenty of icing sugar in to make the consistancy thick enough, if colouring, best using paste colour rather than the liquid colour you buy from the supermarkets.

I make my cake toppers out of sugarpaste (icing/fondant) this can be bought from the supermarkets or cake shops which is best.

I use tylo powder mixed in with the sugarpaste so it hardens and holds its shape :)

good luck x

I dont have a biccie recipe sorry! Hope someone can help.
As for icing I use 8oz soft butter and 16oz icing sugar. As for toppers I use royal icing mainly. I have never really had a problem with it holding and its still edible. Fondant is also good.

Where can you buy the colour paste from?? can you not buy it in the supermarkets??

Cant help with the biscuits either but I'm sure if you google you'll find something x

As for icing I use 8oz soft butter and 16oz icing sugar.

Thanks for that Laura think I'll use that for my Easter Cuppies x

I use silver spoon from the supermarket, its like a gel rather than a liquid. I use that and sugarflair but you cant get sugarflair in supermarkets.
Use silver spoon though cos it works for me in my icing so it should do for you if your using the same mixture.

I'm just quickly posting my first ever attempt at cake pops. They're chicks since it's easter. Hmm.... not too impressed with them really but they do taste good. I didn't have enough Candy Melts so I used white chocolate for half of them.

Attachments

• DSCF1299.jpg
    DSCF1299.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF1301.jpg
    DSCF1301.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF1309.jpg
    DSCF1309.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online