Cake Making & Baking Group

Will anyone be making Fathers Day cupcakes this year? If so how will you decorate them? I never know how to decorate mens cupcakes as i love girly pretty ones. x

I am gonna do some. I am gonna do buttercream but spread on with an I love you dad icing topper.

we're on holiday for father's day this year so having fathers day the week before x I might make my dad some, he loves them x

I'm looking everywhere for a cupcake decorating course but there are none in my area :cry: I so desperatly want to do one as well x theres a million in london :-(

wahoooo i think I've found one x looks really good too & its only £50 :happydance:
https://cupcakesandpeonies.co.uk/cupcake-decorating-workshop/
Just 40 minutes from where I live too :happydance:
They have 2 other course as well which i might do another time, they are £90 but its from 10.30am -3.30pm with lunch provided x
So excited now :yipee:

I didnt do a class, I learned from myself because in London (where I am) they are like £100-£180 for 2 classes :shrug: you can learn from youtube and from not giving up if you dont want to spend that kind of money.

I did some at weekend for my nephew and I loved them, when I get home from work I will upload a pic.

Thanks for the advice Laura x I'll have a look on youtube later, is there a video you recommend?
Think I'll do the £50 class & then see how I get on from there x Think I need to invest in an electric whisk too, my arms hurts doing it by hand lol x
Look forward to seeing your nephews cakes x

Just type in cupcake and there will be loads of videos. You can learn how to do Rose Swirl, swirly buttercream, how to make butterflies and stuff like that..

Here are my nephews cakes. I used the tappits again and had a right job lol..

I have ordered some bigger tappit numbers, hoping to get the larger letters and the funky letters also.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 10
I didnt do a class, I learned from myself because in London (where I am) they are like £100-£180 for 2 classes :shrug: you can learn from youtube and from not giving up if you dont want to spend that kind of money.

Laura - I cannot thank you enough, I took your advice & had a look at a couple of youtube videos & OMG I cant believe I've never seen them before x I learnt so much just from 2 videos lol x I now know how you get that grass effect, which i thought was down to a very steady hand and a small round nozzle, when infact it has its very own nozzle just for that - amazing x
Its made me even more excited about starting now x
Just a couple of questions for you if you dont mind x

What would you say are your basic essentials for cupcake making??

I've seen a 52 piece nozzle set (metal) on ebay for about £20 - do you think that many is worth getting or should I go for maybe a 16 piece to start with??

I'm still baffled at how you get white/cream buttercream (mines always yellow) but there is a recipe in my hummingbird book & has a pic of white buttercream so I'm going to try that at the weekend & buy the tesco 98p butter that you recommended Laura x

I've told my dad I will make him some fathers day cupcakes, some golf ones I think using the fancy grass nozzle x
Also going to make some for both my nieces birthdays & also for my friends little boys 3rd birthday in october - eeeeeekkk so excited (will it last lol)

Oh & Laura your nephews cupcakes are amazing x the tappits make them look fab x is it just royal icing you use for that??

Laura - I cannot thank you enough, I took your advice & had a look at a couple of youtube videos & OMG I cant believe I've never seen them before x I learnt so much just from 2 videos lol x I now know how you get that grass effect, which i thought was down to a very steady hand and a small round nozzle, when infact it has its very own nozzle just for that - amazing x
Its made me even more excited about starting now x
Just a couple of questions for you if you dont mind x

What would you say are your basic essentials for cupcake making??

I've seen a 52 piece nozzle set (metal) on ebay for about £20 - do you think that many is worth getting or should I go for maybe a 16 piece to start with??

I'm still baffled at how you get white/cream buttercream (mines always yellow) but there is a recipe in my hummingbird book & has a pic of white buttercream so I'm going to try that at the weekend & buy the tesco 98p butter that you recommended Laura x

I've told my dad I will make him some fathers day cupcakes, some golf ones I think using the fancy grass nozzle x
Also going to make some for both my nieces birthdays & also for my friends little boys 3rd birthday in october - eeeeeekkk so excited (will it last lol)

I only really use my 1M but I have just ordered my french nozzle and I have also got some to make petals but I havent got round to doing much practice. Need a lot of time and minus two 2 year olds! Oh and good lightening which my kitchen doesnt boast :haha:
As for the buttercream I buy tesco value butter in the block its now £1.10not 98p! Nearly passed out :wacko: what a joke lol..

You can learn so much from youtube. Its the same as going to a class only its you in the kitchen and not 10 of ya!
I just had a flick through and I reminded myself that practice makes perfect. Im not perfect but it does help to keep going.

I have my SIL wedding in August and she wants 80 cupcakes. Thats my big one and I am very excited!

My essentials are good greaseproof muffin cases. You can buy Culpitt for large ones or there are a couple of ladies on FB that sell them and I buy theirs too for smaller muffin ones. I also couldnt be without my pallet knife. Its my godsend. Its made by ateco https://www.atecousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
and my other item is my builders scraper. When your dealing with tappits they are so fragile you need something to get underneath them nicely without damaging them so I use a scraper from homebase. They do the best ones, all the cake shops I went to were rubbish.

I have inboxed you my name and you can add me to FB. I can give you the people I buy my seuff from. My pic is of the twins with a ton of sudocrem all over them. :thumbup:

Oh & Laura your nephews cupcakes are amazing x the tappits make them look fab x is it just royal icing you use for that??

Thank you! Yes I use royal icing for everything. Fondant dries up so quickly for me and its not available in any of the supermarkets near me already made up. The tappits are good but soooo fiddly.

Thanks so much for all the info Laura x I really appreciate it x
80 cupcakes - WOW x your going to have your work cutout there x whats there colour scheme?? x

Pink and ivory! They are having gerberas and hearts. I cant wait.
I am making them the day before and then I am gonna put all the toppers on on the day

that will be amazing x think I'll stick with 12 for now lol x

I'm thinking my first proper attempt at cuppies are going to be cookies & cream yum x going to crush some oreos into the cake mix then crush some more into the buttercream & add a mini oreo on top x cant be too hard right?? x

I did oreos it was really nice and tasty, make sure they are really crushed for the topping or they will get stuck in the end of the nozzle!
I'm sure they will come out lovely hun.

Ladies who have fan assisted ovens....what temperature to you use for cupcakes? x

I put it on whatever my book says lol but yeah think its 170 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->