Cake Making & Baking Group

Cocoaone - your dino cake is fab x
Laura - the cupcakes look amazing x so sad about the brides mum :-( x
GF - OMG those cakes are amazing x

Woooah gf that blog is amazing!!!!! Would be amazing to watch someone make that!!

Sitting watching Ace of Cakes buying cake things :haha:

I just ordered a batter dispenser because I am useless, it spills over the sides so I end up with a wet cloth beside me. I hope it works well. I have some cupcakes to make this weekend for a friend's sister so I want it to come by then.
Blob, I am watching Cake Boss. So much better than Ace of Cakes. Although I do watch Ace of Cakes sometimes.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some hints and tips on carving a cake.

I usually use just victoria sponge, but would this be too soft to carve into a shape? i am not a fan of madeira so what is best to use?

Also shoul dI be freezing/ refrdgerating the cake to make it more firm before carving?

And what sort of knife should I use?

many thanks cakey ladies :flower:

Unfortunately i'd of said a madeira hun, thats what I would use x

Sorry it took so long love. Burger cuppie instructions with photos and full talk through (likely including typos) is now up.

Link - https://www.babyandbump.com/cooking...e-photo-story-too-pic-heavy.html#post12041926

xxx

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/e005af4c.jpg

Coffee and chocolate cake I made for work. It's made from 2 8" cakes, both sliced in half with coffee flavoured buttercream between each layer. The rest of the coffee buttercream I used to neaten up the outside. I dusted the top with cocoa powder to take the edge off the sweetness of the buttercream, and finished with a dark choc drizzle. Was yummy!

Kitty :rofl: I was about to make them for my DH birthday they are pretty cool easier than they look too. Haven't looked at the link yet but did you buy all the carnival kit for the chips etc??

Hi everyone! :wave:

I've always loved baking but I've taken it to the next level and got some cheapie nozzles and started having a go at decorating cakes :)

I have a question though, when I roll my fondant it keeps sticking to my worktop, I've tried dusting the surface with icing sugar and using greaseproof paper but to no avail so I've ended up having to roll balls to use the fondant up :lol: what do you use?

Here's my FB album with my most recent attempts... Bakings

I need a lot of practice and OH is happy to keep sampling ;)

Icing sugar hun! And PLENTY of it, when you roll it out keep turning your fondant so it doesnt stick...and if needed dust more sugar!

Good luck xx

I agree. Tons of icing sugar! Once I have done my toppers if they have icing dust on them I just get a wet brush and wipe them down.

Got some gorgeous ones to do this weekend. Cant wait. Roses with leaves and then a mixed box for a 19 year old, bra knickers, shoes, lips and hearts.

Ladies come and check out my group

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bakers-Haven/251740641509992

Its for all bakers. Its like an appreciation group. Please join :o)

Emmy - I roll mine between a folded bit of clingfilm and find that works fab.

Laur - Checking out your group now xxx

Cocoa I added you (moomin) as a friend, hope you dont mind. I love seeing cakes....

Just a quick question to you ladies. I am just getting into making cupcakes and really enjoying it the thing I am struggling with is my icing when I am piping it seems to runny and when it is left on the cake it just runs down the edges so just wanting some advice on how to make the perfect icing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->