Cake Making & Baking Group

Just a quick question to you ladies. I am just getting into making cupcakes and really enjoying it the thing I am struggling with is my icing when I am piping it seems to runny and when it is left on the cake it just runs down the edges so just wanting some advice on how to make the perfect icing.

What icing you using? Just water and icing sugar?

To make buttercream you need solid block of butter or stork, Ive never used stork I use Tesco's own butter cos its the best.

8oz butter 16oz icing sugar, I have tried doing it without measuring and its not as good for me. I add a teaspoon of vanilla flavouring or extract and its lovely.

No I used buttercream but it was runny will try your way next time though. Thanks very much.

I use 80g butter & 250g icing sugar with a little whole milk x

I dont use milk in this heat. If it goes off it will taste so nasty.

I have 200 toppers to make for SIL wedding and its giving me sleepless nights. I have to do 100 large Gerbera's and 100 small gerbera's and then stick them together. Im just hoping they have it all one colour so I dont have to do 50 small pink 50 small ivory and then 50 large pink and 50 large ivory.

I am so nervous that the colours wont be right and the cakes wont go to plan and then trying to get 80 cupcakes to the venue on time, all in perfect condition (doing 100 toppers to be safe :haha:

They are having 4 samples on Sunday and then we will finalise what they want.

Good luck Laura! Hope they decide to go for the easier option...

I've had a couple of people ask if I do wedding cakes... so I see one of those rearing it's ugly head in the near future! I've got a penguin themed cake in about 3 weeks (my first stacked cake) then a pirate ship (haven't even thought about how I'm going to do that!)

Good luck with those cakes Cocoa,

I did my first wedding last weekend and although they had 25 carrot cake, 25 rich chocolate and 25 coconut it wasnt nearly as stressful as this one.

I think its more stressful because its family to be honest. And the cupcakes are going to be in view forever lol. I am setting the stand up at 3pm and then its staying up until the evening buffet is served when the party starts after dinner thats when people can have them. I am also decorating a large cake but I dont feel confident making it so she has ordered one from M&S lol.

I did a friends wedding cupcakes but it wasn't too bad because the theme was cream and they only wanted 50 so was quite simple.

I think its because I also have the twins and need to get ready myself. Think my FIL is going to be driving down in his car when we go down so OH can drive my car and I will get in with FIL and the boxes of cakes. I have 2 weeks and 5 days til the big day! Lol

Good luck Laura!

Ladies I have a problem!! I have two silicone baking tins, a loaf one and a giant cupcake one. I'm used to using traditional metal ones and wondering if I'm doing something wrong when I use silicone. I've used two ovens, both electric and one was a fan oven and all cakes ive tried baking in silicone have taken almost an hour to cook at 200 degrees in a preheated oven! My recipe hasn't changed, what's going wrong?!!

Anyone else use silicone?

I tried using silicone ones and they have never worked for me - sorry no help.

Oooooh good luck Laura!! Question do you all have your kitchens EHO approved etc? I need to know what to do to mine :hissy: I have my first Market at the end of the month eeek!! But I need to get my ass in gear and get the kitchen done.

Btw I did these for my mammy :cloud9: was my first attempt at the bouquet and first chance to play with the cutters. :rofl: was far too exited to get to use the new toys.

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/sarahwalker12/c0f658e9.png

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/sarahwalker12/43304735.png

Photos are too small to see :cry: I had to copy them off Facebook as my laptop has died so I can't upload photos anymore.

The buttercream is not so fab as I was doing it at 2am in the kitchen next to the girls :rofl: so I couldn't mix it enough.

Good luck Laura!

Ladies I have a problem!! I have two silicone baking tins, a loaf one and a giant cupcake one. I'm used to using traditional metal ones and wondering if I'm doing something wrong when I use silicone. I've used two ovens, both electric and one was a fan oven and all cakes ive tried baking in silicone have taken almost an hour to cook at 200 degrees in a preheated oven! My recipe hasn't changed, what's going wrong?!!

Yep! Hated it. The giant cupcakes do take about an hour to an hr and a half because there is so much mixture and you have to bake it on a low heat so it doesnt burn on the top.
I bought a new one from Eddingtons, its a tin rather than silicone. The only thing silicone I get on with are my moulds lol

I tried using silicone ones and they have never worked for me - sorry no help.

Oooooh good luck Laura!! Question do you all have your kitchens EHO approved etc? I need to know what to do to mine :hissy: I have my first Market at the end of the month eeek!! But I need to get my ass in gear and get the kitchen done.

Btw I did these for my mammy :cloud9: was my first attempt at the bouquet and first chance to play with the cutters. :rofl: was far too exited to get to use the new toys.

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/sarahwalker12/c0f658e9.png

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/sarahwalker12/43304735.png

Photos are too small to see :cry: I had to copy them off Facebook as my laptop has died so I can't upload photos anymore.

The buttercream is not so fab as I was doing it at 2am in the kitchen next to the girls :rofl: so I couldn't mix it enough.

Contact your council and they will advise you on all you need. Lovely pics Blob, I get so excited when new stuff arrives haha

I have done :dohh: they said they would send someone round (they didn't) spoke to another guy who didn't know you could get your personal kitchen done and didn't believe that you could do hygiene courses online :rofl:

Will email the woman back and see if I can get a number instead.

Lol he sounds like he knows what he is doing :haha: not!!!

Try to contact EH yourself. Should be able to get a telephone number, look online.. The list is endless, well it is for my council so hope your prepared. You need insurance too.

I am so ill :nope: im cooking a roast for my family today and I am trying to get the girls to go to sleep for a nap. I done all my prep work last night so just waiting for the time to tick down so I can start it all. I am having pork, I love pork, hope I can get it right its my first one.

I am making a sticky toffee cake but I cant take credit for it cos its a James Martin packet mix! I'm sure it has dates in it :sick: Lol. Hate dates, hopefully they are really small and chopped to nothing lol

Good luck Laura!

Yep! Hated it. The giant cupcakes do take about an hour to an hr and a half because there is so much mixture and you have to bake it on a low heat so it doesnt burn on the top.
I bought a new one from Eddingtons, its a tin rather than silicone. The only thing silicone I get on with are my moulds lol

Aha, thanks. I'll cook it lower for longer and if not I'll get a tin :thumbup:

You can do your food & hygiene cert online :) I did! I went here: https://www.virtual-college.co.uk/?adnetwork=af And got my certificate through the post xx

As for kitchen, im in same boat...just looking what I need to get done to be approved!

XX

I had spoken to EHO directly but she just got back to me once will do it again tonight. I said I wanted the guy to come out and just tell me what I need to do :lol: seems the easiest way :haha:

What sorts of things do they make you do to your kitchen??

I know I need my hygiene certificate, kitchen approved ,insurance. I went to the council and getting some grants too :)wohoo:)

1st attempt at Brownies...they are more Brownie slices as i couldn't find my other tin.

Attachments

• P8074839.jpg
    P8074839.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79