Cake Making & Baking Group

With the shell :)

I'll get my carrot cake recipe for you later when I'm on my laptop x

TJG - do you usually use large eggs?

I tend to use (cheap :blush:) mixed weight eggs, and wondered how much of a difference large eggs would make. I usually use a 3 egg mix (which weigh around 175g) and then 150g of sugar/flour/stork

i use large eggs, always free range too.

I used to use the basic value eggs from supermarkets and they work fine, but I have found that eggs with bigger yolks (barn and free range) make much lighter sponges :)

I always use large eggs. I work for a fruit and veg wholesaler and we can get hold of anything so I get good quality eggs 20 for £2. You dont get that in a supermarket. :)

sorry forgot!

This is the one I use!

175g light brown sugar
175ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs , lightly beaten
140g grated carrots (about 3 medium)
grated zest of 1 large orange
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp grated nutmeg

I just throw the lot in a whisk it up till it's all creamy :)

im not absolutely certain about baking time as I usually just stick them in and know by smell when they are ready!

I'd say about 15 minutes though!

Frosting
100g butter
200g cream cheese
600g icing sugar

I think my mixture was too wet using 3 eggs, so I went back to my old ratios - (like TJG's) and they were much better. Eggs and icing sugar are so expensive though! I'm looking into whether I can get a card for the local wholesale place.

I've never even had carrot cake, let alone made it :blush: The thought of carrot in cake just really turns me off (even though I like carrots..)

I think my mixture was too wet using 3 eggs, so I went back to my old ratios - (like TJG's) and they were much better. Eggs and icing sugar are so expensive though! I'm looking into whether I can get a card for the local wholesale place.

I've never even had carrot cake, let alone made it :blush: The thought of carrot in cake just really turns me off (even though I like carrots..)

Im not a lover of carrot cake but the one I made wasnt too bad, had to taste to make sure and everyone else who had one loved it. I dont make them unless someone wants them though, I much prefer coffee and walnut!

Icing is ridiculous, its £4.60 for a 3kg bag in Sainsburys here and £1.70 for a 1kg bag in Tesco! :wacko:

Im not a lover of carrot cake but the one I made wasnt too bad, had to taste to make sure and everyone else who had one loved it. I dont make them unless someone wants them though, I much prefer coffee and walnut!

Wouldn't mind a recipe for coffee and walnut. :blush:

TJG, thanks for the recipe. What temperature do you bake them on and how many cupcakes is the recipe for?

LMAO I'd never had carrot cake until I was asked to make carrot cuppies so I had to buy some carrot cake so I knew if the ones I'd made tasted right :rofl: I still get weirded out that it's carrot. In a cake. :dohh:

HELP!

How did you come up with your cake business names???

I have no idea what to call mine :nope:

Ideas welcomed!

Emmy - not much thought involved in mine (Moomin cakes) as Moomin is one of LO's nicknames. Her 'main' nickname is Squishy, but didn't think 'Squishy Cakes' would appeal... :rofl:

I started a Facebook page, content with just friends and family sharing with their friends if they wanted to. But my cousin owns a business page and randomly sent my page as a suggestion to all of her 900 friends :eeek: so far over 350 of them have added me and I've had 6 firm orders and loads of quotes. It's all a bit overwhelming! So motto of the story - add billions of people on Facebook, apparently people will add you as a friend even if they haven't got a clue who you are! Lol

oh sorry! I bake mine at around 160 and I have a fan assisted oven :)

For those who haven't tried carrot cake DO IT!!

Honestly, once you get past the carrot in a cake thing you will LOVE it!

I have converted a lot of people! I made 3 wedding cakes this summer and after tasting my carrot cake all 3 brides wanted a carrot tier!! :)

Emmy - not much thought involved in mine (Moomin cakes) as Moomin is one of LO's nicknames. Her 'main' nickname is Squishy, but didn't think 'Squishy Cakes' would appeal... :rofl:

I started a Facebook page, content with just friends and family sharing with their friends if they wanted to. But my cousin owns a business page and randomly sent my page as a suggestion to all of her 900 friends :eeek: so far over 350 of them have added me and I've had 6 firm orders and loads of quotes. It's all a bit overwhelming! So motto of the story - add billions of people on Facebook, apparently people will add you as a friend even if they haven't got a clue who you are! Lol

Lmao! That's awesome though!

I've decided on Doobree Cakes, I call LO Doo/Doobree and I was thinking Daisy Cakes but I think it's too obvious iykwim? And bree sounds like Brie which I don't like but I do love cheese lol :haha:

Lol my old FB page I had was called Daisy cakes :)

Awww, excellent name ;)

I've made my logo and my page now, wooooop!

Doing my food hygiene tonight when LO is in bed, a friend wants some cupcakes for her LO's birthday this weekend :)

Wouldn't mind a recipe for coffee and walnut. :blush:

I use 8oz butter, caster sugar, flour, 4 eggs, 1tsp vanilla extract. I chop my walnuts and add coffee to taste because I love it I have a load in but my sister doesnt so I have to go steady! I also add coffee to my buttercream, I use a caffetiere.

Ahh I think yours really goes well Kitty! Say it to yourself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->