Cake Making & Baking Group

Kitty just found your page and liked :D love the pic of Fin :haha: x

Oh Kitty I mean to ask - how do you get the 'edges' of your buttercream roses to be pink etc and the rest of the icing white? I've tried putting lines of colour in the bag before but it all mingled together. Do you just put the colour on the inside of the tip/nozzle? I'm going to try them in a mo but thought I'd ask anyway. :flower:

My friends dips her nozzle in a little bit of the colouring but I have never tried. Maybe Kitty can give us tips :) :kiss:

With Christmas approaching I was wondering if I can spruce up my Christmas Cookies this year, but I need some help from you very talented and experienced ladies.

I would like to ice them to look something like this (not these particular ones, it is mainly the icing I would like), so my question is how do I achieve this? What type of icing do I need, what tools, etc.? :shrug:

Attachments

• cookies.jpg
    cookies.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 12
that looks like chocolate fondant (modelling chocolate) to me! Could be wrong.

When i do mine I just use the cutters that I cut out the actual cookie with to cut out the fondant, then stick it to t he cookie with some jam then decorate :)

These were done that way with just normal fondant :)

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC00369-1.jpg

I made coffee & Walnut cupcakes last weekend & forgot to take a picture :dohh: they are the only ones I havent got a photo of x They went down really well with my BFF's mum so I'm sure I'll make them again x

I love those cookies TJG x

Oh Kitty I mean to ask - how do you get the 'edges' of your buttercream roses to be pink etc and the rest of the icing white? I've tried putting lines of colour in the bag before but it all mingled together. Do you just put the colour on the inside of the tip/nozzle? I'm going to try them in a mo but thought I'd ask anyway. :flower:

Guys,

I colour some butter icing to the colour I want the tips to be. Just a little icing though. Then using a palette knife I apply a thinish layer of the coloured icing all around the inside of the piping bag (nozzle is already in teh bag by this point). When done I just add the white into the bag like normal and then squeeze a little out until y0ou see the colour coming through and then away you go xx

With Christmas approaching I was wondering if I can spruce up my Christmas Cookies this year, but I need some help from you very talented and experienced ladies.

I would like to ice them to look something like this (not these particular ones, it is mainly the icing I would like), so my question is how do I achieve this? What type of icing do I need, what tools, etc.? :shrug:

Looks like royal icing to me. The outline is piped first with a stiffish consistency icing, let to dry and then a runnier consistecy icing is used to fill the colour in. Then when dried you can add detail with a stiffer consistency againx xx

Thanks kitty, I'll try that. My roses still don't come out great with the 2D. Need some more practice I think x

I still have days when I do shit ones love. Can be really hit and miss. Good luck with them xxxx

I still have days when I do crap ones too. Oh and I think the weather plays a massive part, sometimes my icing feels very thick and then other times its fluffy, I use the same butter and weigh my icing and its still sometimes comes out different.

Thanks Kitty I am going to try that. :)

I got 45 to do for my friends sons 4th birthday tomorrow. In this heat!!! All in cupcakes pods! Sweaty or what!

Good luck Emmy!

I baked 60 today and 24 yesterday and I wanted to stab the sun by the end of it lol xxx

Its super annoying when its boiling hot. Supposed to be hot tomorrow also.

Ugh!!! It pisses me off. I was pregnant in the heat last time. With a May baby I'm meant to be cold in pregnancy. Fucking sun. C*nt!

Hahaha - Ragey!

Good luck to anyone else baking in this heat. Remember now to hold you bag any longer than necessary as the icing will soon melt, and keep the cakes and icing in a cool room when done xxx

I might keep these ones in my living room as we dont get the sun until the afternoon here and it should keep them nice and cool.

I'm dreading icing them in this heat! How do you keep the bag cool?!

Also how do you layer fondant so that it can be like two colours in stripes or spots? But with it ending up flat iykwim? (tried googling but to no avail) almost like you use a rolling pin to flatten it?

^^ that's clear as mud :dohh:

Emmy - I'm not sure what you mean - like marbling it? It'd just roll it in, but it'll never end up 'perfect' spots or stripes. If that makes any sense?

I haven't had any cakes to do this weekend (yay!) but I've got some being picked up on Monday evening. I've also had an order for a number 50 cake, which I hate doing as it's a pain to make numbers without proper tins and an even bigger pain to cover in fondant! So I quoted £45 hoping to put her off and she still wants it! Serves me right! It's all experience I suppose..

Oh Emmy - keep a bag of ice or peas etc on the side covered in a tea towel and every so often try resting the icing bag on it to cool it down x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->