Cake Making & Baking Group

I made my first new york baked cheese cake last weekend and got the recepie of the philidophia website....

It was propper yummy but because it was baked you have to cook it, leave it to cool in the oven and then in the fridge it took all night to cool properly but was really looking forward to a piece while watching strictly come dancing

I had cheesecake yesterday but I didnt make it. I went to Toby Carvery :haha:

GF I love your avatar :) and the jam doughnuts sound amazing

Ladies how much do you charge for cupcakes?

I charge £15 per 12 as a rule. If I'm making LOTS of bespoke, hand crafted toppers (without moulds) I might charge a little more.

Another question: When the baking time is up, do you take them out straight away or leave them in the oven to cool down rather than straight in the cold?

I get mine out immediately. Takes a LOOOOONG time for an oven to cool and if you leave them in they will just keep cooking. I tend to get them straight out but leave in the tin for about 20 mins before moving to a cooling rack xx

What's the best way to make a sort of turrett cone thing? Solid icing? I'm starting Fin's birthday cake today and am aiming for a 3 tier In The Night Garden cake. The top tier being the carousel... my top spong is a 5" one and will be a solid sponge, iced blue with stars like the night and I'll do the legs of the carousel and stick onto it... so you can see teh sky through it if that makes sens? Just really not sure hwo to do teh roof xxx

solid icing in that scale will be very heavy, with things like that I usually try to construct something to cover with icing.

You could try the icing, but drying it out to keep it's shape would take forever, and the weight of it would need extreme dowelling to keep it from squashing the rest of the cake.

I'd use rice crispie squares or you could use cardboard or polystyrene :)

It's easy to shape then carve, then you just cover with buttercream then ice like a normal cake.

Piper sorry been trying to reply to your message and it wont let me!

I bake mine at around 175 for about 15-18 mins, I don't really time cakes any more, I go by smell to tell they are ready!!

I take mine straight out the oven and straight out their cupcake tin.

What's the best way to make a sort of turrett cone thing? Solid icing? I'm starting Fin's birthday cake today and am aiming for a 3 tier In The Night Garden cake. The top tier being the carousel... my top spong is a 5" one and will be a solid sponge, iced blue with stars like the night and I'll do the legs of the carousel and stick onto it... so you can see teh sky through it if that makes sens? Just really not sure hwo to do teh roof xxx

Maybe candy melts? Make some type of mould with card then top with film and cover with candy melts?

It's here

Here's a pic of my gorgeous chocolate cuppies, they do taste rather good even if I do say so myself :haha:

https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/Tiggylou/8636cc7e.jpg

what nozzle have you used for these? I need one :flower: it looks so much better than the crap ones I have x
The cucpake look yummy by the way x

Yeah it's the 1M :) I had a love affair with my 2B so cracked the 1M out for these so it felt loved lmao

I'm making some cuppies for a friend who's due 31st oct but is team yellow, I want to pre make most of the toppers but what colours shall I use and what do you think I should leave until I know what flavour baby is? I'm thinking of trying some bunting :S eek!

So... emergency help. Best way to get smooth icing? Using ready roll type icing/sugar paste and marzipan?

Buttericing (to fill in gaps etc), smooth, marzipan, smooth, jam (to make icing stick), icing, smooth?

Kitty - have no idea sorry x
What's the 2b nozzle like? I had a feeling it was 1m but wanted to double check x thanks guys x

You need an icing smoother.
Or your hands!

Is it fruit cake that you are using marzipan?

oh sorry I was confused about the marzipan, never heard of it on sponge before unless on battenberg!

My method is make cakes, cut and fill with whatever you are using.

If they are to be carved I use two layers of buttercream. just normal "straight out of the tin" cakes usually only need one layer.

In between buttercreams , stick it in the fridge to harden slightly, then cover with fondant.
You can use your hands to smooth over, this is usually best with a carved shaped cake, or you can buy icing smoothers.

I finally bought a Wilton 1M & its been shipped today :happydance: so should be here for when I ice my friends little boys cupcakes on tuesday x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->