Cake Making & Baking Group

Thankies :) They were an order will upload the ones that went out to farm shops. Am doing things like big cutting cakes, cupcakes, mini cupcakes and I think one of the shops is selling the big cakes through them. Only thing is I don't want to do this full time? I don't want to do more than just a bit of fun you know?

I cant wait to get back to baking. I have done it for a few weeks. So much going on these cakes will be lovely. :)

Thanks for the advice on the nozzles girls x

Kitty - for a first attempt thats pretty amazing, the more you practice the better you'l get x

Blob - Cakes are fab hun well done x

I have found a double chocolate cupcake recipe so will use that for my friends little boys cuppies x

Right I have 3 questions for you girls, hope you can help x

1) I'm making toppers, they are for cupcakes that will be for wednesday, can I make them on monday?? & once done can I store them in the fridge??

2) When I do my cupcakes even though I use my ice cream scoop I still end up with different sized cakes & the ones that are smaller end up with a point in the middle & when I do too much I end up going way over the rim of the case. How do I make sure they are all the same & flat??

3) Is your cupcake mix runny or thick like buttercream?? I have seen on cupcake wars where they pipe it into the cases & its quite runny then others where its thick x If its thick how do you make sure they arent pointy & different shapes??

Thanks girls xxx

1) don't put them in the fridge they go all funny... They will be fine they last a long time.

2) check the temp of your oven? The hotter it is the more likely you will be to get peaks... It's really trial and error. Make sure you scrape off any excess on the bottom of the scoop etc. Then just look by eye?

3) it depends on the recipe I'm using, some are runny and some are thick. If it's thick it doesn't matter as soon as it heats up it will settle flat.

I don't pretend to be ANY type of expert I just try things and see what works. Follow instructions is the biggest thing :) make sure you have a thermometer for your oven etc?

1) Toppers will keep a very long time :) Don't put them in the fridge though as they'll go tacky and odd!

2) Two things could be at work here - you could be not getting all of the batter out of the scoop each time, thus different amounts, and also your oven temp...

I used to use a scoop and found I had similar problems - I now use a disposable piping bag and find it much easier to control the batter volume. It's trial and error temperature wise but I find my oven bakes best on 140c in the top non-fan assisted, and on 120c in the main fan assisted oven, takes a while longer but any peaks are rare and it maintains a lovely even colour.

3) Mine's quite thick and I pipe it out, even if there are peaks in the mixture I give it a tap on the work surface to even it out a bit - the low temperature tends to help with this though as the mixture warms gently and settles out!

Thought I'd pop on and share some pictures of the birthday cake I made for my OH's birthday today - sorry if they are a little large :wacko:

https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300017_10150333457098562_503143561_8062528_2124322783_n.jpg

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301690_10150333553003562_503143561_8063436_1257328707_n.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the nozzles girls x
1) I'm making toppers, they are for cupcakes that will be for wednesday, can I make them on monday?? & once done can I store them in the fridge??

2) When I do my cupcakes even though I use my ice cream scoop I still end up with different sized cakes & the ones that are smaller end up with a point in the middle & when I do too much I end up going way over the rim of the case. How do I make sure they are all the same & flat??

3) Is your cupcake mix runny or thick like buttercream?? I have seen on cupcake wars where they pipe it into the cases & its quite runny then others where its thick x If its thick how do you make sure they arent pointy & different shapes??

Thanks girls xxx

I wouldnt put them in the fridge, toppers last forever in an air tight container but I prepare mine and then I leave them out to dry and then put them away but for Wednesday you wouldnt need to if you did them on Monday.

If your baking them and they are over spilling your oven is too high and they are baking too quick. I used to bake at 180 and now bake at 150 I find the cupcakes are much better. Might take a bit longer but they are better and no over spill. When you use your scoop make sure its about 3 quarters of the cupcake case and bake them at a lower temp. See if that works for you.

Again this is your temperature, its too hot, hot air gets into the middle of the cake and causes it to rise quickly causing over spill or points at the top. Try a lower temperature.

Hope this helps hun

Ohhhh thats so lovely Orange... :) Love the inside... I so want to make a rainbow cake for the twins 3rd birthday.

Orange-sox that cake is fab x

Laura when you bake at 150 how long do you bake them for?? Will try this x thank you x

About 20 mins... I dont really do time, I just look to see when they are done or touch the top if it comes back up they are cooked. :) Hope it works better for ya.

Thanks Laura x Got to make 24 cupcakes tomorrow so will try this then x

Will do piperette x

Just doing my toppers & realised I haven't got a clue how to do them so may have to use the shop bought ones instead x the mould I got isn't great anyway x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->