• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cake Making & Baking Group

Amazing cakes! I made my son and daughter cakes for their birthdays, I'd never made birthday or novelty cakes before so I'm just a beginner but I really enjoyed it, it was fun!

My son's cake (loves cuddly toys and asked for a puppy cake!)
https://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/xxpinkpandaxx/Cakes/PuppyDogCake.jpg
My daughters cake for her birthday yesterday, she's loves Wall-e atm!
https://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/xxpinkpandaxx/Cakes/Wall-eCake.jpg

Sorry all fixed! I forgot I'd moved them into another album!:dohh:

They are lovely xpinkpandax the puppy is really cute :)

I haven't been in here for a while as I haven't had time to bake for ages, but I did this for my dad for his 70th Birthday. Not as neat as I would have liked :(
524409_10150736233936534_604441533_9585860_256445390_n.jpg

That's brilliant! I found it hard to stay neat (esp puppy he was rushed!), I think when it's not perfect as you'd like, it gives it more of a 'home-made' look, I'd prefer it that way lol plus it's not goin to stay neat where its going!:haha:

Pinkpanda, they are lovely! It's brilliant to be able to make your childrens' cakes, isn't it?

Jo, I love your design! What letter cutters have you used? are they the Tappits? I really need to get some better ones, I just have the Wilton ones atm and I hate both using them and how they look!

Pinkpanda, they are lovely! It's brilliant to be able to make your childrens' cakes, isn't it?

Jo, I love your design! What letter cutters have you used? are they the Tappits? I really need to get some better ones, I just have the Wilton ones atm and I hate both using them and how they look!
Yeah they are the tappits funky letters, they are a nightmare at times :lol:

The best way to work with tappits is to roll out your fondant really thin and then leave it for 10-15 minutes until it starts to dry a bit then when you tap the letters out they don't lose shape! A trick I learned off of FB! :) Works a treat :)

Lovely cakes ladies

I need tappits :brat:

I love the Wall-E cake its fab x Dog is cute too x
Ooooh Jo, love the liquorice allsorts cake yummy x

I havent made anything is sooooo long, need to get my ass in gear x

Thanks Jo.

I am sooooo annoyed!!!! As I may have said before, I just make cakes for a hobby, for family/friends/friends of friends etc and I charge to cover my costs/most of my costs, so not much at all.

A friend of my husband wants me to make a cake for his daughters communion and wants a chcolate cake to feed 30 people and 40 cupcakes. They only have 35-40 guests, so I am quoting for an 8" cake (as my choc cake is a truffle torte, very deep and rich, so that will do 30 portions) filled and coated with ganache and then covered in sugarpaste and then the cupcakes, which will be a mixture of swirls and fodant on top with little toppers. Plus a home made stand made from cake drums/dummies.

I really want to make this cake and my husband mentioned the chap is tight :dohh: so I said just tell him it will be £40, which will cover most of my costs and my husband said 'well he won't pay that'. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I've said if he won't pay that then he can try and find it cheaper somewhere else. Grr, some people are sooooo annoying, especially when it's my husband who can see how much work goes into things!!!!

Sorry, rant over... :blush:

Tell him Sainsbury's do a plain cake and he can decorate it himself. :wacko: £40! He's lucky. The twins Christening cake was £80 and it was just a round cake and he spelt Jaycee's name wrong calling her Joyce! Honestly if he don't want to pay it then don't do it. Any less would be a slap in the face for all your hard work going into it.

Jeez £40 is cheap! Don't go less than that, if he wants to go get additive filled crap from the supermarket (although even that would be tight for £40) then tell him to go ahead!

I have to make a princessy cake for next Saturday, I'm quite looking forward to it :haha: then have to get cracking on Daisy's cakes......

Thanks.

I can't afford to do it for any less than that by the time I've paid for all the ingredients, boards, boxes etc I'll be lucky to break even. I have spoken to his wife now and she seems more realistic and sensible.

I have done two cakes this week, a Moshi Monsters one and one for the army welfare/families team where my DH works. one of the other wives asked me to make it as a thankyou.

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/90e80bbc.jpg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/dda2dd2b.jpg

How do you guys do the rose/flower effect butter icing?

You can use a 1m or a 2d for rose swirls.

Even if you could afford to do it for less why should you? Give away your money when your already doing it for nothing!
Sometimes you have to wonder what people think.

I have a friends cake and cupcakes this weekend. I'm so excited it is the first 'boy' theme so I've done cars and a road and I am really excited about it.

Hopefully it comes out ok. :)

Thanks Laura. You're right of course!

Good luck with your cake for this weekend! Do post pics! I have to admit, I hate doing 'boy' cakes really. I'm just doing my first wonky cake, a small two tier. It's carved and ganached and then I'll cover, stack and decorate tomorrow to be collected Saturday morning. I hope it holds up in the warm weather!

Am I right in thinking your kitchen is registered Laura? If so, do you mind going through what they did when they came etc? I am thinking it might be sensible to get registered, even though I don't want to be a 'proper' business or anything yet, but just so I'm covered, but it terrifies me for some reason! :wacko:

Sorry not been on at all over weekend. Mines not a business I don't make profit hun but yeah they look at general cleanliness and labelling, you need to label things with dates, keeping pets out of the kitchen when your baking, general things mostly.
The most important is having a health and hygiene certificate and you can do that online.

Cake went down well.. I loved doing it. Nothing special, I haven't taken the plunge into actually icing a big cake yet.

Attachments

• 310092_10150853321979033_717559032_9690328_325979356_n.jpg
    310092_10150853321979033_717559032_9690328_325979356_n.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta