Cake Making & Baking Group

Ah that Sky Remote is fab! Well done.

I've just bought all the stuff for Emmas 1st birthday cake. I sooo want to practise making it tho.

wow andrea thats amazing...it looks totally fab!

and i agree about choc recipe...normal sponge recipe with added cocoa!!

caitlinsmummy, i dont make cakes for a living....i usually pass on my cakes for what they have cost me to make with a small extra charge for my time and electric.by the time youve added up ingredients, icing, boards, dowels, cake cards, modelling paste, colours, glue, electric (or gas) etc it can be quite hefty. sometimes i charge more if its taken a really long time to do, and i always get whinged at by family AND customers that i dont charge enough...some customers pay me way more than ive asked for n wont take it back!

i think if your just doing it as a 'hobby' u should just practice for now and make family birthday cakes.....thats how i started!

Cakes make great gifts too.I made Christmas cupcakes for my little boys school teacher,TA and Headteacher and they loved them.I put them in a pretty cupcake box and i was really pleased with them :)

wow andrea thats amazing...it looks totally fab!

and i agree about choc recipe...normal sponge recipe with added cocoa!!

caitlinsmummy, i dont make cakes for a living....i usually pass on my cakes for what they have cost me to make with a small extra charge for my time and electric.by the time youve added up ingredients, icing, boards, dowels, cake cards, modelling paste, colours, glue, electric (or gas) etc it can be quite hefty. sometimes i charge more if its taken a really long time to do, and i always get whinged at by family AND customers that i dont charge enough...some customers pay me way more than ive asked for n wont take it back!

i think if your just doing it as a 'hobby' u should just practice for now and make family birthday cakes.....thats how i started!

I agree that she doesnt charge enough for her cakes!!!

Also, I would do loads more Practicing first before comitting yourself to any orders, I only charge for ingrdedients and electric for now too and some people dont even want to pay that much!

Then you get some that fling more money at you! :dohh: So pretty much the same as Tracey! :)

it really adds up doesnt it andrea?

u dont realise when your making it, but if u charge for the lustre dust, wires and accessories it just seems to fly through the roof doesnt it!

got 5 orders for february so far....first one i start on thursday....just another one of those blue two tier ones with baby footprints and booties on.

whats your next one andrea? x

It really does!

I have 3 more this month so far, first one is a Hello Kitty head, then Gemmas Twilight stacked one, then one for a guys 50's, still unsure on what to do for that one...

Its been left up to me, its a guy from OH's work and he's a tough one! He only eats burgers everytime he eats out but they have to be dry plain burgers so that could look pretty dull as a cake without the lettuce and tomato bit....
or
he eats about 5 kitkats a day but I am not confident I could do one of those!

Or he plays the game "bubbles" most of the day at work ! :dohh: (which would probably be the easiest to do!)

bubbles?? never heard of it!

well u could do a plain hamburger...with sesame seeds on, and then do some chips at the side?
ive seen people make long thin biscuits for chips, then squirted with red icing for ketchup!

Quick questions ladies if anyone can help?

I want to get a photo cake from Tesco for my Dads birthday,you take in a photo and they put it in icing on top of an iced cake.

They only do it on the other side of the Island and i can only get there thursday and my Dads birthday isn't until the Sunday.Do you think it will last and keep ok for those few days?

hi hun,
i know a home-made one would...
but in tesco they use pre-made iced cakes, i reckon it will last quite a while as they use preservatives etc in them but i cant promise it will be moist!!

why dont you make him one hun!!?? im sure he will love it if youve made it!!

I would but i haven't got time,it's my birthday coming up and other things are going on at home.I'll see if i have time and i might have a go :)

awww a joint father n daughter cake would be brill!!

yeah give it a go hun...he'll appreciate the time and effort youve spent on it xxx

bubbles?? never heard of it!

well u could do a plain hamburger...with sesame seeds on, and then do some chips at the side?
ive seen people make long thin biscuits for chips, then squirted with red icing for ketchup!

I did see a cake like that on Ace of Cakes!

here is bubbles...... I think it would be pretty straight forward!
https://www.flashgames247.com/thumb/300x300/misc-games/16628/bubblez.jpg

But I do like the burger idea too!

ace of cakes....ive only seen about 2 episodes of that...i didnt realize we could get it till i was flicking channels and it was on!! i was bigging it up to everyone in my family to watch it, coz ive seen the cakes they do.....but when i watched it and saw majority of it wasnt even cake.....just polystyrene...i was gutted!

haha! we had that conversation lastnight about how Ace of Cakes, how only a teeny part of it is actual cakes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->