Cake Making & Baking Group

yup we are in the same situation Tracey, cept we have 2 girls but the age gap is big so Gemma (14) wouldnt want her 1.5 yr old sister sharing with her!

We are now considering private letting just for some space!

yeah, my OH has been looking at private letting......either we pay abit more than we pay the council but have a worse house, or pay nearly triple what we pay now, just for one thats SLIGHTLY decent. its shit!!

it is shit :(
All the private lets round here are crappy and wont let you decorate :(

Our council and housing association lists are massive, so no hope there.

We need a lotto win!

it is shit :(
All the private lets round here are crappy and wont let you decorate :(

Our council and housing association lists are massive, so no hope there.

We need a lotto win!

oooooooooooo you just reminded me i have to check wed lotto numbers, but alex asleep on me so will have to wait !

wonder if ive won:winkwink:

Well, I can't find a pokemon cake tin nowhere so think I'm gonna have to just make a rectangle shape cake,cover with white fondant then draw a pokemon onto a pre coloured fondant,cut them out and stick them ontop. Does that sound like it would be ok? Also..how much fondant would I need? Theres packets on ebay at 99p for 250g..would that be enough?

Hello ladies,

Could you help? What is the secret to a rising cake? How long should i fold it for? (think im maybe not doing it long enough?

Also in the UK what do i need if i was to start my own cake business from home?

Thank you!! xx

Could you not do that thing where you print/draw the Pokemon onto greaseproof paper and then pin it to the cake and cut round it? Pikachu would be quite easy as he's all edges.

Babydance I'm probs not the best person to answer you cake rising question as I haven't made anywhere near as many as the other ladies but I haven't made a flat cake yet.

For a start I use Stork instead of butter (I find it makes a claggy cake). I make sure that it's at room temp before creaming it with the sugar. I use a hand mixer and mix it till it's really pale, light and fluffy. When it comes to adding flour I just use self raising and make sure I sieve it at least 3 times. I then fold it in until it is just incorporated, as if you over work the flour it makes the cake flat. Hope these basics help and I'm sure the other ladies will have loads of better tips.

I have a Kenwood 400w hand mixer which is fab!

Babydance I'm probs not the best person to answer you cake rising question as I haven't made anywhere near as many as the other ladies but I haven't made a flat cake yet.

For a start I use Stork instead of butter (I find it makes a claggy cake). I make sure that it's at room temp before creaming it with the sugar. I use a hand mixer and mix it till it's really pale, light and fluffy. When it comes to adding flour I just use self raising and make sure I sieve it at least 3 times. I then fold it in until it is just incorporated, as if you over work the flour it makes the cake flat. Hope these basics help and I'm sure the other ladies will have loads of better tips.

I have a Kenwood 400w hand mixer which is fab!

thanks hun, i do what you say too but i want my cakes as fluffy as mr kiplings but its so damn hard lol thanks xx

To make my cakes as light and fluffy as possible i beat the butter and sugar together for ages, and fold it over to trap in as much air as possible...the general idea throughout the whole time i make it is to just trap as much air as u can in each way u mix it. I know iv done a decent job if when i pour it into the tin i can see lots of liitlle bubbles coming up to the surface and popping - im quite quick about getting it in the oven then...i always get complimented for very soft light cakes...its the decorating i fail at LOL xxx

Hello ladies,

Could you help? What is the secret to a rising cake? How long should i fold it for? (think im maybe not doing it long enough?

Also in the UK what do i need if i was to start my own cake business from home?

Thank you!! xx

there isnt really any secret to a rising cake....just dont open the door too early!!
if u want it to rise loads for just eating, turn up your oven slightly and youll get a well risen cake...but with a peak. if you need to cake to be iced, youll have to turn the oven down to minimise the dome in the middle.

as for all this sieving 3 times..folding etc. no matter HOW u mix it...a cake will turn out the same!! its the same ingredients!!
hell..u could even chuck all the ingredients in all at once n do it that way!!
but the best way is to cream the marg n sugar till pale...add the eggs n mix for quite a while, add the flour and only mix till incorporated, or else u will start to beat the air out of it. to me, all this sieving etc is just extra work!!

as for starting a business....first u need to make sure ur cakes come out perfectly nearly everytime:thumbup:, LOTS of practice and confidence that your cake is going to come out ok....ive been making cakes since i was 13....and i still wont start a business....there are people out there way better than me. :haha:

as for the pikachu cake......bake 2 square ones (thats what i do for a rectangle! LOL) get a pic of pikachu off the internet, and trace the outline onto greaseproof paper, cut him out, place him on the cake n just cut the cake into the shape of pikachu. cover it all yellow, and then all u have to do is cut details out of pre coloured fondant, instead of trying to do the whole pikachu.
or....even easier, just do his face!!! or a pokeball?

I'm going to bake a cake or two when my new oven arrives so will be in here asking lots of questions no doubt :haha:

You've all made some FAB cakes/cupcakes!! :D

Eeekkkk we've just paid the deposit for our new Kitchen which will be delieverd and fitted on the 19th of April!!!!! I'm going to have a decent cooker and space for all my bits and bobs!!! I can't wait!!!!!! More work surface, more storage and a good cooker. I'm going to be in heaven!

great news!!! i could do with more work space...and mine isnt really a small kitchen!!! LOL

That's the thing, our kitchen isn't small but it's just so badly designed, sorry scrap that as I don't think it was ever designed, just thrown in! I'm going to have a whole 6 more cupboards and about 5ft of work surface. It's the 1st major improvement we've ever done to our house so it's mega exciting. Sorry I'll stop boring you now!:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->