Cake Making & Baking Group

LOL Tracey the trouble maker! :rofl:

back to oreo cupcakes......... see if you mix oreos into the cake mix, when you bite into them its all gooey and yummy!!!!

Oreo cakes sound good! Has anyone ever made a night garden cake i was looking at the tombliboos thinking they'd be quite easy to do with their little bobble hair and funny shape body. Argghh i'm obsessed i am seeing the world as fondant. :haha:

wow Andrea thats ace!

Can I ask you a question, when you put the big layer of fondant over your cake, do you tuck the ends underneath or cut them with pizza/cake cutter? It just looks so neat!

Thanks For the ebay link btw, i think i saw them but wasn't sure if cheap meant crap lol...x

I got your point tracey, you were just a little long winded in saying it :rofl:

Im making carrot muffins and banana and walnut muffins later...:happydance:

Ohhh another question....:blush:
I want to have a go at making the chicks/rabbits for my easter cake, how long will they keep? How long will an iced sponge cake last stored in tin before it goes past its best?

LOL Katie! you are a woman obesessed!! I havent ever made one before, I only just started on the modelling side of fondant!
Done plenty flowers before, not many little people type things!

An iced sponge cake will only last about 5 days hun. The chicks I think will last quite a while xx

Its hard to explain, once you have done it a few times you will sort of be able to do it! When you are lifting it and smoothing it it just seems to cover the cake well without any overlapping, then I cut it with the pizza type cutter :)

If you make your little fondant animals once they are dried out, stick them in a plastic box and they will last for ages!!!!!!

and like Kelly says about the sponge, 5 days-ish but only if it is completely covered in icing.

Fresher the better though :)

So I can have a play with doing those then and if they turn out ok i can keep them until Im ready to use them?

Im dying to have a play you see:happydance:

LOL Jac. You and Katie talking about it all the time is making me want to make some!!

Andrea which fondant do you use for modelling? x

Everytime I come here I get really hungry!!!!

I've bought this cake tin...

My son wants this cake for his birthday party next month and I stupidly agreed to do him it :wacko:

Can anyone who knows whats what please help me with a few things...how much cake mix will I have to make up to get the right amount IYSMIM? And..what would be the best way to decorate it? What to buy? (tools,icing ect..) Thanks xxx

Attachments

• megasaurus cake tin.jpg
    megasaurus cake tin.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3
Ohh I might go pick up some coloured fondant today and have a go...ha ha.

I dont know what my easter cake is going to look like yet, apart from its going to lemon sponge iced in yellow, with daisies all over, want to do maybe bunnies or chicks sat on grass with little mini eggs scattered on the top and a yellow ribbon around it...how does tht sound?

but girls u are all so brilliant...see jac u have unleashed ur imagination coz youve just described a cake! and its sounds so cute!!:flower:

look how far you have all come already!

yup fondant figures will last AGES...all they do it set harder over time...but hardly anyone east them anyway...they are just for decoration! u can make loads n just keep some till you are ready :thumbup:

That's good they last i was also wondering is it better to use a plastic rolling pin, lately i've been pouring icing sugar all over my worktop and keep dousing my rolling pin and hands and the fondant in it and it still sticks sometimes. Or the icing sugar just goes really quick so i need to put more on and before i know it i'm buried in a cloud of smoke, covered! Russ comes in and says even the air tastes sweet in here. Please tell me i'm doing something wrong, doh!

LMAO katie...thats my OH, he walks into a big icing sugar cloud n licks his lips, cleans his glasses n says...bloody icing sugar again!!

i have a little icing sugar shaker.....though some people use a pair of old tights!! just cut the foot bit out, fill it with icing sugar, tie a knot in the top and 'bop' the bag all over your work surface!! i have an acrylic rolling pin.
also move the fondant around n frequently dust underneath every 1-2 rolls :)

yeah...you still seem to go through quite alot though dont you..especially when using for buttercream and dusting etc...i have loads of boxes stocked up in my cupboard n it doesnt last 2 mins!

same here! I buy a few boxes every week with my shopping, its nearly run out again!

Does everybody elses kitchen look like a bomb has hit it when you are doing a cake?!

Honestly, I finished so late last night that I had to leave some of the mess till today and now I just want to cry!!!!!

the whole kitchen is covered in a light layer of icing sugar!! :rofl:

definately!! i have icing sugar everywhere!

cake crums in one corner where i trim n level the cakes, buttercream sloshed up my bread bin where ive made it in a bowl that was too small!! a huge dusting of icing sugar along the top, and fondant scraps all over the place...including the floor!! from bits ive trimmed n cut off....also flour all over from where i had been dusting the tins and weighing out LOL...its just one HUGE mess!

Oh I'm glad its not just me!! I tried to tidy up as I go but you just cant can you?!!

Oh well, I better go and clear up the icing sugar!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->