California and its Proposition 65.. *sigh*

9jawife

Mom of one
Reaction score
*Apologies if this has been posted before. I tried doing a search but it didn't turn up anything relevant, which came as a surprise to me.*

So my husband and I are going on a trip next week and we need a new carry-on bag. I was thrilled to find a Chaps duffle bag at TJ Maxx for $14.99! (retail price $100.) But when I brought it home and looked at the tag more closely, I saw that it had that California Proposition 65 warning on it. For those who haven't seen it, it says something to the effect of "Warning: this product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause reproductive harm or birth defects." :wacko: :nope: Does anyone know if this is a significant risk? I generally avoid chemicals in food, beauty products, and anywhere else I can so I am not thrilled to bring this in my home.. But I have a feeling that maybe all luggage has nasty chemicals in it. What am I supposed to do, get something from Goodwill that has had a chance to outgas, or what? Never mind the fact I feel squicked out about used luggage, which is why I was buying a new one in the first place; hubby found our current carry-ons next to the trash..:wacko:

The state of California is uber cautious with it's warning, everything causes cancer and birth defects in Cali! Personally I'd keep it but that's just me. I'm not easily scaremongered and at that price I'd have trouble letting it go lol.

They label EVERYTHING here, even prenatal vitamins. I've learned to ignore it. I am sure using that bag won't hurt your baby. Just a stupid proposition.

Unless u plan on eating the bag (lol) I can't see it doing any damage

I have to admit I find this soOo strange - a bag containing harmful chemicals?

I'd ignore as other posters advise - maybe California is taking the whole thing too far?

They label EVERYTHING here, even prenatal vitamins. I've learned to ignore it. I am sure using that bag won't hurt your baby. Just a stupid proposition.

We visited CA last year, and were laughing at the signs everywhere, warning us about everything! We did a wine tasting tour, and each place had signs that said "alcohol can impair judgement, blah blah blah" We found it amusing.

The running joke in our house is that everything we touch causes cancer in rats from California! All of our horse products are labeled, even the 100% natural foot packing made out of pine tar, etc.

Surely if the chemicals used were that dangerous it wouldn't be allowed to be sold?!

It's true that nearly all luggage will contain the same chemicals, and California (my home state) is required to post on just about every darn thing. It's sort of pointless. The warning becomes so ubiquitous that you learn to ignore it. As long as you are smart about washing your hands regularly, you'll be fine. The chemicals they are warning about don't really leach through the skin; they are more of a concern if ingested or inhaled in high quantities.

My father-in-law is a toxicologist that actually does the studies for the government to see what levels are safe for the general public, and when I first found out I was pregnant, my husband went on a rampage to remove all harmful chemicals (i.e., everything) from my life. My father-in-law gave him some nice, long explanations and helped ease the fear :)

As long as you don't take to rubbing your hands all up and down the luggage and then linking your fingers, or sticking your face deep inside and taking nice, long breaths, I think you'll be OK :) Normal use of the luggage has proven to be safe, otherwise it wouldn't be for sale.

Have fun on your trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->