Can anyone help- water leaking into my neighbours kitchen

catty

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone knew what I could do about this.
I live in a 2nd floor flat which I own, my downstairs neighbours rent and came and told us that there is a leak coming through there kitchen roof from our flat. We got a plumber to come and look and he fixed a leak we had and said it was sorted.
We told the neighbours we had sorted this and if they could contact their landlord so we could discuss what to do about their roof as it will need re plastered.
Anyway we never heard anymore and that was 3 weeks ago. The neighbour came today and said the roof is still leaking and the area is worse as it's been wet so long now. I told them to keep pestering their landlord as I don't no what to do about the situation. I have a guy who will fix their ceiling but the landlord is not getting in touch and the tenants don't no if they can make the decision as it's just a friend of ours.

so basically - is it up to us to pay for this and get it sorted (I imagine it is) or would the landlord get this sorted through their insurance

As the landlord has taken so long to get it sorted with us it has now became worse - should we still have to pay when it was a relatively easy job to begin with?

What should I actually do? I have building and contents insurance but money is extremely tight at the moment so would much rather my friend just fix it, does the landlord have to choose who fixes it?

Getting stressed! !

Legally i dont think you HAVE to pay for it. My neighbours wall fell down in a storm and crushed our fence and their insurance wouldnt pay out. We took legal advice and was told they dont have to pay for it unless we could proof that they were negligent and hadnt maintained the wall. So i dont see why you should have to pay for this. Especially when its the landlords fault it has worsened.

This happened to me a few years ago, but my downstairs neighbour didn't want me to get it fixed for her so I don't know about the legal liability. I wouldn't do anything without the landlords permission though.

It seems odd that it is still leaking after 3 weeks, that sounds as though you still have a leak somewhere rather than it being the excess water from the original leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->