Can I color my hair?

Sophie2015

Reaction score
Newly pregnant. What's the verdict on hair coloring? Safe or not? I would really rather not have roots and gray until April if I don't need to!

It's perfectly fine as long as you're in a well ventilated area as the fumes can make you sick.

I am in the UK but my midwife told me to wait until I am out of the first trimester before colouring my hair. She said by 12 weeks baby has developed its just a case of it growing. I am in desperate need of doing it though - only another two weeks! My hair is tied up constantly to stop the grey being quite so noticable!

Angelmum- I'm thinking I will wait til 2nd trimester too then use an Aveda color because it's Organic and 99% naturally derived. Do you have that there? I've never used it but it's a good salon brand I know.

I'm in the UK and my dr has said its absolutely fine.

There's no substantive evidence that it causes a problem a lot of the issue is because of the smell- it can make women feel more sick

Ive coloured mine twice now within the last 10 weeks and scan shows my baby is fine

The only thing I would suggest is skin tests - you may have a heightened sensitivity regardless whether or not you've used the same colour as before.

I think we have Aveda here but to be honest for years I have always used the same colour. I absolutely hate my roots but I am going to wait until after 12 weeks. I am sure it is fine to colour earlier but feel I have to follow the advice I have been given. After my mmc last year I just cant bring myself to risk anything xx

I was wondering the same. It's better to be safe, I am planning on using heena which is natural and should'nt cause any issue.

Newly pregnant. What's the verdict on hair coloring? Safe or not? I would really rather not have roots and gray until April if I don't need to!

I definitely advise to go and have a skin test first.

I had a skin test the day before I was due to have mine done. I had an allergic reaction, skin started to bubble (behind ear) where the test was done. I have used the same hairdresser and colour for years and never had any issues before.
Also I have my eyebrows tinted so had a skin test for that too but that was fine. Midwife said to leave until 2nd trimester and try again. Only two more weeks to go so fingers crossed 😁

I was advised not to use hair dye with chemicals in it but only natural stuff like henna. X

I have used henna but even then be careful as not every brand available is completely natural so check the ingredients.

I believe you can get highlights in the first trimester as its applied directly to the hair without touching the scalp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->