Cereals, when did you gave them?

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
So Josh is now 6 weeks old. I was wondering when it is ok to give him a little spoon a day of cereals? and what type of cereals?

Most people say you HAVE to wait until 4 month... But I know I've had cereals since I was 3 weeks old.

Any mommies have started early?

I gave mine at 5 months, i think its a little early for newborns due to the fact of there tummys are still very tiny and can cause constipation. Even if i spoon ful ,what my health vistor and other mums i speak to say aswell. :)

I honestly wouldnt advise it hun. I know we may all as babies have ate everything in sight from the age of a week and we all lived to tell the tale and most of us are normal hehe but I still think the research these days is better than it was years ago and who knows what it would do to a little ones insides :( god knows in years to come the baby may have digestive problems or anything.:(

So no I would say steer clear till at LEAST 17 weeks, sorry but I'm sure that will be many more to maybe say go on ahead but this is my opinion.

Totally agree with Mamafy there hun. What made u ask? Is Josh a hungry baby? 6 weeks its deffo too early for any solids in my opinion. x

I definatley would say no its too early :) Just my opinion though x

I agree. I also beleive that 6 weeks is far too early for any type of solids. I also advise that you wait until at least 17 weeks old. Im not one to follow everything told by Health Visitors but if there is one thing i do/have followed was waiting until at least 17 weeks before giving my daughter solids.

X

well Im different to everyone :blush: lol

I started giving Ebonii rice when she was 9 weeks and she totally loved it shes now 15 weeks and on 3 small meals ( veg and fruit purees) a day alongside her milk, my ds1 was later around 4-5 months due to him being prem but ds2 was the same he started at 8 weeks :blush: personally i think if you feel your LO is ready then try them they will soon let you know if they dont like it. I also think it depends on the weight of the baby too, small babies imo dont take to eating early as they arent ready but bigger babies do ??? dunno but thats what my 3 are like :dohh: lol

I waited until 6 months with cereals because of the wheat in them. I'm sure that was advice I'd had from the HV and elsewhere. I think it was one of those things that if you give it too early can cause an intolerance.

I started Colton on cereal and fruit purees (through a feeder bottle) at 2 months, so about 8-9 weeks. I also, was given cereal at one 2-3 weeks old. Colton is almost three months now, and has a whole puree with a 3-4oz bottle for his 2nd-3rd feed (depending on how early he wakes), and a 5oz bottle then 2oz with RICE cereal before bed. I would say if you feel comfortable giving it to him then it will be okay.
Also.. just so you know, Colton had REALLY REALLY bad problems with constipation, and the cereal/purees haven't dont a thing to make him constipated. He has been just fine and poops anywhere from 2-3 times a day now.

i dont think id give it that early! can i ask why you want to? I really wouldnt advice it to be honest. think i waited till 5 months but have known others that have done it about 4. But never at 6 weeks. x

I'm gonna wait for sure until he's a bit older but probably not 17 weeks... Josh drinks a lot (6 onz every 3 hours!!!!!!) and already gained more than half of his birth weight..(8 lbs 2onz) !!!!

yer mummy&mase said have u tried hungary baby milk hun? worth giving it a try hun.

Angels just over 3 months adjusted and my nurse gave me the go ahead to start spoon feeding fruit/veggie puree's and Angelynn's doing well with it so far. I'm also very slowly introducing rice cereal because angelynn's going through way too much formula she's hungry 24/7. So it's time to start filling her up :) I think you should talk to your pediatrician before making a change in your babies diet. Babies normally don't need any other food besides their milk before they are 3-4 months unless otherwise advised by your Doctor.
Good luck with your decision!!

Angels just over 3 months adjusted and my nurse gave me the go ahead to start spoon feeding fruit/veggie puree's and Angelynn's doing well with it so far. I'm also very slowly introducing rice cereal because angelynn's going through way too much formula she's hungry 24/7. So it's time to start filling her up :) I think you should talk to your pediatrician before making a change in your babies diet. Babies normally don't need any other food besides their milk before they are 3-4 months unless otherwise advised by your Doctor.
Good luck with your decision!!

I planned on starting Colton with a spoon between 3-3.5 months. Right now he just gets it through a feeder bottle. It's good to know she is doing good with the spoon, because I didn't know how Colton would take the spoon.
He has used one twice.. the first time he ate like crazy.. the second time he didn't want anything to do with it! :dohh:
And right now he is only on fruits.. I was going to introduce veggies through the bottle.. but it's getting so close to him being three months, I decided just to wait until he is spoon feeding.
Also.. right now he eats a whole puree and 1/2 of his normal bottle, and wiht the spoon I have a feeling he wont eat a whole puree at once.. so we will have to go down to 2 small meals, I think.

Ebonii loves gettin food from a spoon :happydance:

few times (rare lol) shes been grumpy and not taken it but I dont stress I just leave her till the next meal time and then shes away again

i give my baby baby rice at 14 weeks. he has reflux and it was the only thing he will hold down. i know i know u should wait till 17 but he likes it. hes not consipated and he only gets it at nite.

i really wouldnt start 2 to early one of my friends give her baby baby rice and now he has really had consipation and has 2 take medice for it. i duno if it due 2 weaning 2 early but it would be .

I'm gonna have a look at hungry baby milk... though I never heard of it ?!

I'm gonna have a look at hungry baby milk... though I never heard of it ?!

my HV advised me not to use hungrier baby milk as something is in it that can cause kidney problems with them later on (although saying that both my sons had it and are fine)

it gives the baby a false sense of fullness which is bad for them ..........kinda like slim fast does for adults?? makes them feel full up when they arent or something

I started giving Jasmine Banana and Peach breakfast when she was about 14-15weeks and she loves it, after speaking to my HV, she was happy for me to put jas on solids as her milk wasn't satisfying her, HV says each baby is different now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->