Ch5 - home births pushed on people

xxembobxx

Reaction score
Channel 5 The Wright Stuff is going to be discussing home births being pushed onto women.
Should be interesting.....not exactly sure where they have got this info from though!

It's on at 10:15am and seems to be more about the fact that they SHOULD be pushed onto women. Many births would be suitable for a home birth but very few actually occur.

He just said a few minutes ago that GPs are calling for more women to have home births but apparently he "couldn't help but think it was just a money saving excersize" kind of hinting that the NHS were putting lives at risk for the sake of saving money :/

Maybe I heard it wrong. But that's how it came across to me.

xxx

Yeah it did come across as quite a negative thing for women to choose. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about hospital births though. As Anne Diamond said you could be left to your own devices if the labour ward is busy that night and I was pleased with one lady who phoned in saying a breech birth shouldn't automatically mean ceasarian, it is just that medical staff are going down the easiest route.

Yeah when the first lady called and said "thankfully I was in hospital because my baby was unexpectedly breech" I kind of thought... yeah it must be scary for it to happen when you don't expect it, but apart from that was there anything else like did the baby have to be resussitated, she obvs didn't have to have an emergency csec so I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been done at home?

Also the "labour hurts, you will struggle to do it without drugs" woman :dohh:

Just thought the whole thing was quite scare mongering IMO.

Also calling a woman selfish for having 2 midwives attending her homebirth :| "no wonder theres none left in hospitals" :dohh: clearly no one on that programme did any research at all :/ Im pretty sure its a standard across the country in hospital or at home policy that there should be 2 midwives there to deliver?

They only featured one called out of the 4 who was pro HB which was unfair.

Urgh. I tried calling but it was engaged the whole time.

xxx

I heard this mentioned on tv earlier, I think it was on lorraine... ther was a woman sitting there, and she said How awful she thought it was, and that she'd much prefer that all women SHOULD have a safe labour in hospital rather than a natural one at home, GRRRR I could have actually punched her if I was there!!!! She's clearly done no research into home births at all and shouldn't be passing judgements based on no facts like taht on national TV!!

Thats the worst thing about the whole situation, none of these people seem to have done any research whatsoever, then they go on TV and broadcast to thousands of people their biased views.

They were saying on this channel 5 programme about 40% of people having to transfer to hospital who had planned homebirths, but they never made it clear how much of that figure was an actual emergency, and how much was due to hospitals 'slow progression' policies, ladies who decide they want pain releif, long labours where they are tired etc.

Just scaremongering and very sad :(

I had a homebirth without a midwife here even (she didn't make it in time :haha:) and I can honestly say that it was the best labour I had, and even tho there was no midwife here, I felt soo much more relaxed than any of my 3 hospital births, surely just being so much more relaxed makes it safer alone!?

im glad i didnt watch any of these.
it gets me just how closed minded some people can be.
and for those who think a birth is safer in hospital need to take a look at my local hospital, the "care" is terrible and more people die there then survive

I decided not to watch because I'd only get pissed off.

Glad I didn't watch that, sounds like it would have made me annoyed and had me shouting at the telly.

The segment must because of this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14145862

UK 'has too many hospital births'

Yeah when the first lady called and said "thankfully I was in hospital because my baby was unexpectedly breech" I kind of thought... yeah it must be scary for it to happen when you don't expect it, but apart from that was there anything else like did the baby have to be resussitated, she obvs didn't have to have an emergency csec so I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been done at home?

Also the "labour hurts, you will struggle to do it without drugs" woman :dohh:

Just thought the whole thing was quite scare mongering IMO.

Also calling a woman selfish for having 2 midwives attending her homebirth :| "no wonder theres none left in hospitals" :dohh: clearly no one on that programme did any research at all :/ Im pretty sure its a standard across the country in hospital or at home policy that there should be 2 midwives there to deliver?

They only featured one called out of the 4 who was pro HB which was unfair.

Urgh. I tried calling but it was engaged the whole time.

xxx

Whats wrong with having a breech delivery these days anyway :dohh:

I think it's because it's been a reason for an elective section for so long now, the Drs/MWs now lack experience / confidence handling a breech vaginal delivery. Didn't use to be the case though. I have a really old book about active birth and there is a whole section about delivering a breech baby naturally. Should my baby be breech I would be looking to try for a vaginal delivery.

^ Same here although I would try ECV first.

I'm not sure about ECV! I thought they have you literally prepped for section while they do that, not usually succesful and can distress the baby (hence beign prepped for section.) haven't looked into it in any great detail though - that's just what I understand. Hopefully I won't be in the situation of needing to...

i cant watch daytime tv these days 'cuz i always get pissed off with either the dried up old slags from loose women talking about breastfeeding or some tossers on the likes of the wright stuff that think we are all just mad hippies that put our babies at risk.......

knobbers

i cant watch daytime tv these days 'cuz i always get pissed off with either the dried up old slags from loose women talking about breastfeeding or some tossers on the likes of the wright stuff that think we are all just mad hippies that put our babies at risk.......

knobbers

im with u on that one lol i cant stand loose women they are all so thick and mouthy....drives me insane

Im learning, Ive only been on maternity leave for a week I usually work full time, I didn't realise how shocking these programmes are.

Im only watching This Morning from now on to get my daily fix of Phillip :haha:

xxx

I'm not sure about ECV! I thought they have you literally prepped for section while they do that, not usually succesful and can distress the baby (hence beign prepped for section.) haven't looked into it in any great detail though - that's just what I understand. Hopefully I won't be in the situation of needing to...

I dont think they do? They do them at 37 weeksish I think. Theres loads of things that make ECV more successful and one is having a baby before (others are lots of fluid and baby not engaged). I know theyre painful but i doubt theyre any more painful than recovering from a csection :shrug: I hope I don't need one either :) My little man is breech at the moment.

has anyone on bnb had a natural breech delivery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->