Charlie had Meningitis

coz

Mummy to 2 boys
Reaction score
oh god what a week ive had its felt like a life time.
Charlie had a cold for 5 days then he got a temperature so i phoned the nhs which told me to go to emergency dr cos it was the evening, they said just give him calpol see how he is tomoz, the next evening he got a rash phoned nhs again they told me to go emegency dr again which they then sent me to hospital they wanted me to stay the night as they didnt know what it was he went all drowsie the next morning and had trouble breathing so they put him on antibiotics incase it was meningitis or somthing else he had to have a lumber puncher the next day to find out what it is that was making him so ill they took ages with results and i finally found out 6 days later that it was viral meningitis but as soon as he was on antibiotics he started to get better so by the time we found out what it was hed had 6 days of medication and he was back to his normal self so we stayed in for 7 days all together for his full course of antibiotics, it was the worst week ever it was the not knowing that was the worst and seeing all the other ill babies at the hospital too was awfull, i stayed with him the whole time, im so glad to be home now and so glad hes ok xxx

:hugs: Oh hun, sorry to hear how poorly he's been, glad he's on the mend though :hugs: xxx

Oh my god, im so sorry! That must have been awful. I wondered how you were getting on. Glad to know hes getting better.:hug:

Blimey hun *hugs* What a scare you must of had!

What was the rash like & where? If you don't mind me asking :hugs: - its always useful to have some straight advice and signs although terrible you have been through this x

So sorry to hear your little man has been poorly. So pleased to hear he's home now xXx

Sorry you had to go through that! Glad he is better!
:hugs:

:hug: blimey hun who have had one hell oftime.

glad ur litle man is better now though xx

What was the rash like & where? If you don't mind me asking :hugs: - its always useful to have some straight advice and signs although terrible you have been through this x

the rash was just on his arms and legs and kinda just looked like prickly heat but the dr found 1 spot that wouldnt go away when he pressed it so they said i had to stay over night just cos of this 1 spot and his high temp so im glad he saw it as the other nurse didnt see it and they was gonna send me home at first and at this stage he only had a cold and a little rash so you can never be too carefull xxx

Really sorry you had to go through this hun!!! So happy to hear he's ok ! xx

:hug:

Omg hon! I'm so glad he's ok! You must have been so worried :(.

Meningitis is one of my worst fears for my kids, hubby's cousin had a little 3 month old that died from it, he got the worst kind Meningococcal septicemia. :cry: What was sad though is that he was misdiagnosed in their city the first 2 times and if he hadn't been he might have made it. But its hard to detect it in babies.

The rash is usually dark spots on the skin and if you press a clear glass to it, it won't disappear under the pressure. Usually though the rash is one of the last symptoms of it and its better to catch it before it happens.

Symptoms you should watch for in babies:
Poor feeding
Moaning/high pitched cry
Blank staring expression
Floppy/lethargic/difficult to wake
Arching of body/neck/ dislike of being handled/ bulging fontanelle

^^ think its good to know for everyone just in case. What I saw Kelsey(cousin) go through nobody should, its devestating :cry:

Oh my goodness that must have been awful, so sorry, glad little man is well now xx:hug:

I'm glad you posted that Jenny. I didn't know what it was/the symptoms.
BTW, what is fontanelle?

Oh hunny that is sooo scary. I am so glad he is feeling much better!

OMG That must have been awful! I'm so glad he is home safe now. Big :hugs: for you and your little man!!!

MarchBaby, from what I understand, the fontanelle is the soft spot on the front of a babies head. When dehydrated you can feel it dip in.

the rash was just on his arms and legs and kinda just looked like prickly heat but the dr found 1 spot that wouldnt go away when he pressed it so they said i had to stay over night just cos of this 1 spot and his high temp so im glad he saw it as the other nurse didnt see it and they was gonna send me home at first and at this stage he only had a cold and a little rash so you can never be too carefull xxx
Thanks hun - Really apprieciate your reply :hugs:

Phew! just wanted to say really glad Charlie is better now x x x :hug:

:hug:

Omg hon! I'm so glad he's ok! You must have been so worried :(.

Meningitis is one of my worst fears for my kids, hubby's cousin had a little 3 month old that died from it, he got the worst kind Meningococcal septicemia. :cry: What was sad though is that he was misdiagnosed in their city the first 2 times and if he hadn't been he might have made it. But its hard to detect it in babies.

The rash is usually dark spots on the skin and if you press a clear glass to it, it won't disappear under the pressure. Usually though the rash is one of the last symptoms of it and its better to catch it before it happens.

Symptoms you should watch for in babies:
Poor feeding
Moaning/high pitched cry
Blank staring expression
Floppy/lethargic/difficult to wake
Arching of body/neck/ dislike of being handled/ bulging fontanelle

^^ think its good to know for everyone just in case. What I saw Kelsey(cousin) go through nobody should, its devestating :cry:

yes when my baby was at his worst he had the blank starrng expression on his face allthough if anyones child has any rash go to the dr straight away as my babies did fade with the glass thing there was only 1 spot that wouldnt fade which i didnt notice till later on in the night and 3 nurses didnt notice it either xx

Omg hun what a nightmare :nope: I am so glad you have a happy outcome and just give Charlie an extra slobbery kiss from all of us :hugs:

xoxox

OMG!!!! I am so glad that the docs spotted the rash & kept him in you are so lucky, so scary to think of what may have happened if it was just the nurse looking:growlmad:
Glad to know that he has recovered & hope you are all doing well:hugs:

Coz, what a nightmare you have been through!
I'm so glad that he is doing better now - and thanks for sharing.
Mx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->