Children starting school without being potty trained

You still have to appeal to LEA about it, you cant just DO it IYKWIM.

Do you? I was under the impression that you just had to let them know. As it isn't 'law' for them to start until 5 I didn't think there was much they could do about it iykwim?

Edit: Not saying what your saying is wrong, just glad I know incase it does come to that. :flower:

And just another random thought, disposable nappy manufacturers are always claiming that their products are better and improved, so I wonder if there is a link there? It's well known that children in cloth generally potty train earlier because they can feel the sensation of being wet, so if disposable nappies are keeping children drier and drier... :shrug:

Thats a good point, but isnt that more to do with not wanting to feel uncomfortable?... the child needs to know they want the toliet before going..........when toliet training not using pull ups sort or defeats the purpose because if the child wets their underwear they will feel wet and uncomfortable so they dont want that to happen again and will think i need to get to the toilet (in general) where as if they do it in a pull up... oh well.. should of used the toilet but its alright kinda thing .....does that make sense...lol..it does in my world :haha:....

Hmmm I agree with waiting until they are ready but I think we often hinder their ability to be ready. A huge percentage of the world's children are potty trained by 1 or 2<.....................> I also think it's really important for babies to see their parents/siblings eliminating on a daily basis right from the time they are tiny. Obviously there are some toddlers who simply aren't ready until later on, but if the majority of toddlers in our culture are potty trained so much later than the rest of the world, it seems to me that we are delaying them somehow.

And just another random thought, disposable nappy manufacturers are always claiming that their products are better and improved, so I wonder if there is a link there? It's well known that children in cloth generally potty train earlier because they can feel the sensation of being wet, so if disposable nappies are keeping children drier and drier... :shrug:

I agree with both of these points. Although I cannot say about cloth nappies as I used disposable ones. My LO has been 'clean' since she was about 9 months (apart from the odd accident, mainly when she had an upset tummy) and she is very close to being dry. She cannot tell me that she needs the toilet using words, but she will take herself to the bathroom door and point when she needs to go.

I sat LO on the toilet (we don't use a potty) when she was 6/7 months old and as it didn't upset or faze her, we just incorporated it into her daily routine.

Not every child will be ready at such a young age, but tbh if it's not offered to them, how are you to know if they are ready or not? (genuine question btw)

Em was a cloth baby up until a month ago when then fact that she is so tall and big meant that we could no longer use them. She shows EVERY sign of being toilet trained but will not, no matter what, stay on the loo/ potty when she comes to the actual second of going. I have absolutely no idea how we are getting over that one!!! I think cloth does help as she is the only cloth baby among my friends and she was aware of being wet so much quicker than all the others.

I was the OP and it has been interesting to read the responses. I know how the growth of children who are not trained impacts on how I can do my job but the reasons why this is happening are hard to be sure about. As ever I imagine that there are quite a lot of contributing factors. What I will say is there is a big difference between parents who try to train their children but whose kids are not ready and those who just don't bother starting in the first place. You can take a horse to water and all that.

I always find it interesting that there is always such an outcry when the state is seen as interfering in family life (eg, healthy eating in schools, sex education) while at the same time, so many people seem happy for the state to take charge of the basics of parenting.

It's a cool potty!

But apparently a much cooler hat ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"