Children + Swearing-> Your Views

I don't swear, nor does my husband so it will not be allowed.

I allow My 9 yr old is allowed to swear only in his artwork-- on paper. I found that it's a way for him to express his emotions through art without abusing the power of vulgar language. He is aware that if that right is abused, it will get taken away. There are certain expressions that he allowed to use if he's feeling upset such as " I'm really feeling pissed off today". He may use those in the privacy of our home but not in public.

no matter what we do when they are out with there mates and we arent around they will swear as much as they want and i dont think we can do anything about it.

my little sister never swore as a child she hated it and i used to try and get her to say swear words but she wouldnt now aged 13 shes got such a atitude and swears so much its unbelieveable!

i swear quite a lot i must admit but i will not let my child swear, no way!

when i was growing up my mam swore and i was always told that she could cos it was adult words and when i was an adult i could say them, thats what im going to say to my kids, my whole family swears so even if i stop the child will still be around it so i think this is the best way, plus it worked for me hehe

saying that, u should hear the stuff my little brother comes out with :O honestly, she tells him off and i tell him off for it when im there but i think he got away with it too much when he was little, hes 13 now...so i will have to make sure i dont let mine say it even from the beginning or apparently it doesnt work haha

There are certain expressions that he allowed to use if he's feeling upset such as " I'm really feeling pissed off today". He may use those in the privacy of our home but not in public.

Why do you not teach him to express without the use of foul language. "I'm feeling really ANGRY today" would be the way for a 9 yr old to express themselves, the use of foul language does not mean he is expressing himself in a better way. As long as he can express his veiws thats a good thing (without swearing). He will one day express himself in public and his use of foul language will slip out.

I Hate it!!!! Theres no way i will be letting my child get away with swearing when he is young, when hes in his teenage years theres very little i can do about it. I do admit i do occasionally swear and so does my hubby but since finding out we were expecting we've barely done it atall. My FIL swears like a tropper, ive told him if my little man picks up on it ill be one cross mummy!!!!

There are certain expressions that he allowed to use if he's feeling upset such as " I'm really feeling pissed off today". He may use those in the privacy of our home but not in public.

Why do you not teach him to express without the use of foul language. "I'm feeling really ANGRY today" would be the way for a 9 yr old to express themselves, the use of foul language does not mean he is expressing himself in a better way. As long as he can express his veiws thats a good thing (without swearing). He will one day express himself in public and his use of foul language will slip out.

I don't think there is any need for the word "piss" in a 9 year olds sentences.

Funnily enough DH and I were talking about this just yesterday. I'm like you Sarah, DH and O both swear a bit and I don't want to be hypocritical about it with my kids. But I also hope that we have a diverse enough language that our kids can learn to insult and express themselves in more imaginative ways! I would be way more concerned if my child use words that were particularly derrogative to women (e.g. c**t) or that were offensive in another way such as racist than I would if they said shit or whatever. F*ck should be reserved for special occasions!

My Mum almost never ever swears and my Dad doesn't very often but my oldest brother is nearly 9 years older than me so I knew all the swear words at a young age. I didn't really swear much but then I didn't really think much about it. If it is totally taboo and naughty then kids will do it just to get a rise but I never did that as they were just words. In secondary school, first year I think, I was being bullied by some boy so I swore at him and a teacher heard and called home. My Dad was about and was all "and?". I think it's nonsensical to be hysterical about swearing. Words are what you make them.

My son has heard me say it on occasions where I've hurt myself or somethings went wrong and it's out your mouth quicker than you can think.

But if he repeats it. hes told it's a naughty word and mummy/daddy are bad. I've never heard him say it other than unless one of us has said it first. Also nusery have never mentioned him saying anything rude. So I think I'm safe.

But I don't like to see children swearing. My mates son says "Pikey" to everyone. I find it a little off, she laughs at it, but I'm sure it's a habbit hes in and he'll grow out of. But she doesn't discourage him.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I swear on occasion and hubby swears a bit more. My kids have come out with it once or twice, just because they heard it. But they have not for a few years, and they know it's bad to swear. I've told them that it's not appropriate for them to swear and they understand. They know that it's for older people and not for young people to say.

My mom used to swear when I was a kid. But I knew it was a no-no and I understood as well.

I don't really swear.It might just flies out of my mouth here and there when I'm really mad but I never use it as a part of my vocabulary.

I won't be swearing in front of my daughter.I really don't want her to swear either.

But just to get this right.I hate the fact that words like 'hell' and 'ass' are treated as terrible swears.I certainly don't see them as such and it wouldn't be a problem for me if when she grows up uses them.

I cant stand people who let their kids swear, I think its disgusting. A friend of mine has a two year old and he is constantly swearing - she just laughs but I dont find it funny at all.
I swear sometimes, I think everyone does, but I never swear in front of my family and never swear at people, its usually just something I say when angry. I would hope my kids will be the same.

no matter if u swear or not kids will hear it from somewhere and when we arent about swear like theres no tomorrow. my mum swore infront of us from time to time n when we swore we'd get punished and shed say only adults can say these words. So i just learnt not to swear infront of her or my nan

Amy - I agree, it really gets my goat that all swear words are classed as equally evil when they totally aren't! I would never say F*ck at work for example but crap and shit are ok with work colleagues, none of them in a meeting though! (Hence the lack of *s!) I think it's important to discriminate what is and isn't appropriate under certain circumstances.

Sparky - I think laughing at a 2 year old swearing is a bit much so I can totally see where you are coming from! It really depends how old the kid is and when they are using the words.

Those who've said kids just learn not to swear in front of their parents are totally right. Like I said in my previous post, I rather not make a special deal out of it so they don't think it's particularly naughty or funny and won't be interested in swearing just to get attention.

Amy - I agree, it really gets my goat that all swear words are classed as equally evil when they totally aren't! I would never say F*ck at work for example but crap and shit are ok with work colleagues, none of them in a meeting though! (Hence the lack of *s!) I think it's important to discriminate what is and isn't appropriate under certain circumstances.

Sparky - I think laughing at a 2 year old swearing is a bit much so I can totally see where you are coming from! It really depends how old the kid is and when they are using the words.

Those who've said kids just learn not to swear in front of their parents are totally right. Like I said in my previous post, I rather not make a special deal out of it so they don't think it's particularly naughty or funny and won't be interested in swearing just to get attention.

I agree although when i was 10 it did seem funny to try and get my little sister who was 3 to swear lol i was a evil big sister tho lol

You know, when your kids are teenagers and in school, there is absolutely nothing you can do but just say that you won't tolerate it at home.

But when I go around and hear little cousins spitting curse words out like they're just regular words...its a bit much. My cousin for example, he says "oh fuck!" a lot, but he also says "you bitch" and "holy shit" and "you piece of crap". So you know, it sounds horrible and I won't be putting up with it. His parents just laugh at it but I'm completely appalled everytime I see him.

Using the word "pissed" and using the word "angry" isn't the same. Try using it when you're feeling livid and notice how it really lets some steam off. The language I hear his classmates use is foul and out of order so I've found a middle ground for his age bracket. As for his art, it's a wonderful way to express himself without offending others. Do you have a child his this age? Take a listen to a bunch of them on the playground. You'll be quite suprised to hear what comes out of their mouths! I have been told numerous times by parents, teachers, friends and relatives how polite and respectful my son is. It is because I allow him some leeway and because we are open about it that he doesn't feel the need to hide it or abuse it. Sorry if you disagree but you're naive if you think todays children don't swear.

I really dont get how letting him swear in his art work will be doing him any good or am i just missing the point completely!
i wouldnt let a child write down swear words then call it art!

And just because u let him write it down doesnt mean he isnt saying those words when ur not around!

and yeah i swore as a child but not around my mum or nan and i was always well behaved

i am a bit of a potty mouth myself but i am going to try not to talk that way infront of LO :blush:. I don't think small children should swear, i don't think it is cute at all, it's trashy to me :blush:. but once the baby is older in teen years and such...i don't think i will have a restriction on it...as long as it's not the only things coming out of their mouths!! I will probably smack them if they use that language towards me though :rofl: i HATE HATE HATE it when people use swear words towards me, especially DH...it's one of those things that REALLY set me off!! Saying those things towards a person in general is rude IMO, i don't call people those things or tell them to F-off etc... when i swear it is to/about inanimate objects!

i tell my oh to f off all the time but when he says it to me i feel like crying lol

and yeah i swore as a child but not around my mum or nan and i was always well behaved

But don't you feel that's a bit hypocritical to pretend you don't do something when you do? I also don't feel that swearing is the same thing as bad behaviour, the two things can easily exist without the other.

If you're a person who never swears and thinks it's always wrong or inappropriate to then I can completely see why you wouldn't want your kids to swear at all. But if you do swear and still don't think your kids should swear, I just think that's very hypocritical. I will discourage my kids from swearing when they are little and always try not to swear too much anyway because these things have a much more impressive impact when done rarely. For example, I could probably safely say my Mum has said F about three times ever (not to us I would add) and when she does you know that's a seriously big deal! I want my kids to have a wonderful vocabulary but mine is good and I still swear when I'm really annoyed or have stubbed my toe or whatever. It would be ridiculous to ask my kids to practice something I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->