Chocolate cake help please

Boomerslady

Reaction score
Can any of you ladies out there who bake help me out? I think the last time I baked was about 3 years ago, it's not something I've ever been good at but I've got the day to myself and OH didnt get a cake for his birthday this year so I've crazily agreed to bake him one today. He's requested chocolate!!

Can anyone help??! I don't even know where to start, I'd usually buy one of those 'add an egg' type bags lol but I want to do it from scratch.

Baking wise I'm sure I've got 2 small round tins in the cupboard because I once made a Victoria sponge, could I use those and maybe put something between them?? I want to out frosting on it too because that's my fav part but ill prob just buy that.

Any hints/tips/recipies?!

Thank you

Google the nigella chocolate beetroot cake recipe. Dont let the name put you off,the cKe is very easy to make and is always a hit!

Betty crockery frosting is sooo good, also just Google devils food cake yum yum!

Cakes can be a little tricky. You want the cake to come out moist and soft, not sponge like and dry. I have used the following recipe and it came out amazing. It looks over whelming when you look at the ingredients list but it's really easy.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

Thanks ladies, I just went to the shop and decided with choc cupcakes to start with, I can't really mess them up and I found my piping bags and stuff (from when I attempted cupcakes years ago!) so I'm just going to attempt a standard recipie and see how I get on. I think ill venture out next time and try the beetroot cake. I went for home made frosting because if I buy the Betty Crocker one ill just eat it all with a spoon!!

I wanna try that food network one but I don't think we can get buttermilk over here? What's the equivalent?

Just want to add that the beetroot is what makes the cake lovely and moist. You can usually buy beetroot already roasted at a green grocers. Whtv u do dont use beetroot thats in that plastic packaging....it is not as good!

Tesco and waitrose both sell buttermilk,its like a sour milk and its luquid. You can also add some white vinegar or lemon (about a tblspoon) to a cup of milk and leave it for a few min and it works just the same!

My preferred chocolate cake recipe is

For 8" (it turns out quite deep so you could split it between your tins if they are quite shallow)

165g stork
300g caster sugar
3 large or 4 medium eggs
60g self raising flour
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
70g cocoa powder
220ml milk
30ml malt vinegar

Combine vinegar and milk and set aside
Cream stork and butter
Beat eggs one by one (add some flour if it starts to curdle)
Add remaining dry ingredients then finally the milk and mix till smooth.

I cook on 160 (fan) but I'm not sure how long for, maybe about an hour?

I used this for the bottom tier of a wedding cake and it went down really well. I like to fill it with White chocolate buttercream xx

Oh and for something richer I love nigellas chocolate fudge cake recipe it's amazing
Xx

Thanks so much ladies, I've definitely got the baking bug and after buying the staples today (flour, baking powder etc) I'm definitely going to do more.

I did cupcakes although they haven't turned out too well!!!!! I don't have a individual cake baking tray thing (you know what I mean!) so they kind of sunk a bit and some stuck together!! Plus I thought. As being clever adding choc chips to the cake and its made the really stick to the cases!!!! Ill keep practising though! The buttercream tastes lush and they look ok I think so that's a start!! Ill see if it can post a pic. Thanks for all your help.

image.jpg

Here they are!!! Bit messy to eat but it was a good first attempt!

They look fine for a first attempt. In the long run I'm more of a "taste over appearance" person, so the important thing is if they were tasty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->