Christmas thread when?

I already knew at 6 yo was never a great believer in anything even as a kid :haha:, but it wasnt tried to evade it anyway and I was the youngest of 3 too :haha:

When my eldest found out I thought he would tell the others. He's the type to tell things out of spite in an argument. We told him that Santa isn't one person, he's a feeling, the spirit of Christmas (Not sure this would work with ASD kids to be fair) he's the excitement you feel picking the perfect gift, he's the wonder on small children's faces when they see all the presents. We promoted him to Santa's Helper, let him choose a gift each for the little ones and wrap it, label it "from Santa's Helper" and leave it in a separate place from the other Santa presents, so he felt special and didn't lose the magic he just became part of making it instead.
He was 8, DS2 was 10 and DH talked to him and he said he knew he wasn't real but wanted him to be, so we just kept going that year then the next year just talked about it a bit more openly in front of him without ever actually saying the words. DS3 will be 10 in March. We shall see what happens. He questioned it then talked himself round again last year. He has watched The Santa Clause so knows how people without chimneys get their toys and that not everyone believes but those who don't believe the parents take over the buying so the kids don't feel left out. He doesn't have kids at school telling him otherwise, but he's also here all day to see packages arrive so I'm just playing the waiting game with him.

When my eldest found out I thought he would tell the others. He's the type to tell things out of spite in an argument. We told him that Santa isn't one person, he's a feeling, the spirit of Christmas (Not sure this would work with ASD kids to be fair) he's the excitement you feel picking the perfect gift, he's the wonder on small children's faces when they see all the presents. We promoted him to Santa's Helper, let him choose a gift each for the little ones and wrap it, label it "from Santa's Helper" and leave it in a separate place from the other Santa presents, so he felt special and didn't lose the magic he just became part of making it instead.
He was 8, DS2 was 10 and DH talked to him and he said he knew he wasn't real but wanted him to be, so we just kept going that year then the next year just talked about it a bit more openly in front of him without ever actually saying the words. DS3 will be 10 in March. We shall see what happens. He questioned it then talked himself round again last year. He has watched The Santa Clause so knows how people without chimneys get their toys and that not everyone believes but those who don't believe the parents take over the buying so the kids don't feel left out. He doesn't have kids at school telling him otherwise, but he's also here all day to see packages arrive so I'm just playing the waiting game with him.

Awww that’s so cute !! I worry about DD1 when she no longer believes but this is perfect ! I am
Hoping to get a few more years out of her she’s 7 in Feb , She did ask a few questions last year but was telling DD2 the other day Santa is real and she needs to be good !

I’m never going to directly tell my kids Santa’s not real I think it’s just one of them things they figure out for themselves I do like your approach to it all ! I will be gutted when DD1 doesn’t believe she’s growing up too fast ! But she will be thrilled helping to wrap etc when the time comes... that’s for another day haha

Ds1 was having a massive argument with DH in front of the others because he was adamant that Santa wasn't real. I had to call him downstairs and just say "look, you're right, but..."

Helloooooo everyone.

Hope everyone had had a good year so far. I've just got through the girls birthdays so now it's all things Christmas.

Been a rubbish summer for personal reasons so determined to make the next few months count and really enjoy my fave time of year.

My eldest DD is now 7 and loves the designer friends dolls from Argos (got some for her bday plus a bedroom set)

My youngest DD is now 5 and wanted a Nerf gun for her birthday but can't actually work it. For Christmas we're thinking a gymnastics mat/balance beam/bars as she loves climbing and physical things.

My house is FULL so not really got any other ideas yet.

Christmas will be at home this year as always and a visit to my family the weekend after. We've booked to take the girls to Disney on ice too.

Can't wait for grotto to open :) xxx

Helloooooo everyone.

Hope everyone had had a good year so far. I've just got through the girls birthdays so now it's all things Christmas.

Been a rubbish summer for personal reasons so determined to make the next few months count and really enjoy my fave time of year.

My eldest DD is now 7 and loves the designer friends dolls from Argos (got some for her bday plus a bedroom set)

My youngest DD is now 5 and wanted a Nerf gun for her birthday but can't actually work it. For Christmas we're thinking a gymnastics mat/balance beam/bars as she loves climbing and physical things.

My house is FULL so not really got any other ideas yet.

Christmas will be at home this year as always and a visit to my family the weekend after. We've booked to take the girls to Disney on ice too.

Can't wait for grotto to open :) xxx

Hey! Another familiar face.

Ds4 has just seen an advert for the imaginext Buzz lightyear robot and got really excited. It looks cool, but he has a big megazord that's never really played with and they hardly touch the imaginext now. I'm not sure.
Looking at the stikbot animation studio stuff for ds3.

Hey! Another familiar face.

Ds4 has just seen an advert for the imaginext Buzz lightyear robot and got really excited. It looks cool, but he has a big megazord that's never really played with and they hardly touch the imaginext now. I'm not sure.
Looking at the stikbot animation studio stuff for ds3.
My DS wants the Imaginext Buzz Lightyear robot too.. we really do look like we're sponsered by Imaginext the amount we have :rofl:
Not sure we have the space for another big item like that as he already has a big batcave, the megazord and various playsets :dohh:

Just a question but how much does everyone spend on presents for the kiddies? Sometimes I feel like I get too much, other times not enough and om rushing around xmas eve buying crap to make it up!

I feel like I don't buy enough compared to other people, but they have SO many toys it's ridiculous. Our house is so cluttered and I have no idea yet what to even buy!

It's the same here! Last year I spent A LOT and half the stuff is still in unopened boxes in their bedroom! This year I'm not spending much, I've decluttered as much as possible but I'm not getting rid of perfectly good toys for the sake of new ones, I think this year it will mainly be a new wardrobe of clothes each and a few toys each

I don't set an amount really, but every year I find myself in a situation where i don't want to buy loads due to clutter and lack of space, then end up with huge piles of presents!
I struggle to spend the same amount of money on each child as Rio's presents cost way more than Niko's do!

My DS wants the Imaginext Buzz Lightyear robot too.. we really do look like we're sponsered by Imaginext the amount we have :rofl:
Not sure we have the space for another big item like that as he already has a big batcave, the megazord and various playsets :dohh:

Same here. Our collection started with a big aircraft carrier with DS1. We have several "houses" as they call them, and the bat cave and all that. A huge tub just full of people and vehicles. The batbot. They got more in to playmobil last year and haven't really touched them this year.

I save all year (haven't managed to save much this year and panicking) then split it 4 ways. I won't buy for the sake of it though and the older ones understand that they might have a bit less if they want something more expensive.
I always feel like it's not enough, then when I have to lay it all out Christmas eve I think "where will I put all this?!"

When they were small I went for numbers of presents, now they are bigger I do it by money

I don't have a set limit as it depends on what I plan to get. This year, I'm thinking of a nintendo switch which is $300, so I'll definitely be spending more this year than last (think I spent a total of $150 or so last year), but the amount of gifts stays about the same. I try to stick to getting her 2 things from me, 6 from Santa, and her stocking. I love to buy so sometimes I might go a bit over and get her a few more little things, but I found that she gets really overwhelmed with a lot of stuff to open.

My limits go out the window. I will be super strict this year due to current money arrangements. I always intend to stay within a £900 budget for everything (presents for everybody plus food), girls would get £3-400 spent on them. Try to match numbers which always takes budget out of proportion. I think I will be definitely going less than £900 this year. Me and OH aren't buying for each other I don't think, and both girls have already filled their new bedroom and playroom.

I went OTT with DD2's birthday this year, it was like a Christmas pile and I regret it so much, plus additional £350 on a trip to a wildlife park. But I felt really bad and inclined to as DD1 had over £1000 spent on her last birthday (definitely can't afford to match that this year)
64563466_10161887922525858_1230831743204851712_o.jpg

We usually do presents so they have equal amounts of presents to open . The girls usually end up with the same or similar gifts anyway . DD2 is starting to want older things now so not sure how it’s going to work this year !

DD1 had a party this year for her birthday feel bad that DD2 won’t get one but she’s only in nursery and DD1 is in year 2 now .

Ds4 has never had a party. Once the number of kids we had started adding up we decided they could have 1 big party when little then 1 when they were a bit older (Around 10) ds2 never got his second one, he chose to go to Thorpe park though so that cost just as much. Ds4 was supposed to have his for his 4th or 5th birthday and it never happened. He's not asked either though so I think it'll wait til next year.

Just a question but how much does everyone spend on presents for the kiddies? Sometimes I feel like I get too much, other times not enough and om rushing around xmas eve buying crap to make it up!
I never set a budget and feel like I probably spend far more than I needed to, but most, if not all of the stuff we buy is played with regularly (thank god!!)
However this year being as baby #3 is due and things are going to be tighter financially I'm not planning on buying a whole lot.. BUT I've already spent £72 on 3 presents for DD (900 piece lego box, half price Lego Friends house and a made to move gymnast Barbie) but only £32 on DS (8 treasure cove story books and a 900 piece lego box)

As they want a Nintendo switch and I hope to buy 2 games each for them thats going to take a large portion of any "budget" I set...
They both want/need new bikes so MIL and FIL are buying those for them (HUGE help!) They will get £50 from my parents which either buys a single present each to be given from them or towards the pot depending on what they have asked for.

I'm estimating spending at least £700 this year with the switch... which is a lot less than last year :blush:
I think we spent around £1300 between starting to buy in August and finishing just before Christmas.

I mainly just try to make sure they have roughly the same amount of presents.

I tend to match up presents. As they're both close in age they tend to get mostly the same. Not buying much for family this year, we all have everything lol

This year I'm thinking £200 budget each but hope it's less. I can't think of anything to buy them as it is.

Dd1 we are thinking of a old Nintendo DS. We feel she's too young for a switch and they're expensive. DH has a special cartridge too he can upload any game on so wouldn't need to buy games.

We spoke about Christmas today and I joked I wanted a new tree but DH agreed and said he wouldn't mind. Yay!

Also not sure if you remember the palava we had last year over the sofa (week before xmas and didn't fit my front door) well today we went sofa shopping again after having horrible uncomfy sofas all year and have hopefully found one that fits and will be here in time. Whooop.

Motherofboys huge congratulations on your little rainbow. XxxX

We're off to Legoland tomorrow. Girls didn't want a party this year so that's what we're doing instead. X

I'm definitely cutting back this year, 2 years in a row I've gone ridiculously overboard and half the stuff isn't played with now, my DD is more into tech and gadgets and dont really play much, she likes to chill apparently in her own words but she has her phone and her laptop and shes happy, I'm not spending a crazy amount this year due to being on maternity leave, I'm going to try and budget around £700 and do a big clothes shop for them also, I'm hoping I get some change from that 700 as well :rofl: me and OH are not doing presents this year, we are also not getting the adults, with baby number 3 due in November, it's going to be all about the kids, and also our two nieces, but that's it! I'm on a budget! Theres going to be one main present, clothes, and a few toys here and there plus stocking fillers, hopefully £700 will be fine, ideally less than that, I need to get my sensible hat on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->