Circumcision and cultural differences

I left the decision to get my son circumcised to my FOB. He is circumcised and he very much wanted Kenny to be as well, because he couldn't imagine him being uncircumcised. I know that circumcision is a lot more routine over here in the US then it is in the UK so I figured that it would be best if he was like his dad and like a majority of the other boys he will eventually go to school with and be in the locker room. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision, because had I not been with FOB the decision would've been a really difficult one to make.. but I'd like to think the decision would've been the same. Realistically though, us women don't have penises so we don't know the difference between having a circumcised or uncircumcised penis. I know that my FOB would want what he believes is best for his son, so because of that I'm happy with the decision we made. :flower:

I Realistically though, us women don't have penises so we don't know the difference between having a circumcised or uncircumcised penis. I

Neither does a man unless he has been intact and then circumcised.

That's true as well.

I guess from our personal experiences we do not know anyone over on this continent who has been upset with having it done, so it doesn't seem like a horrible thing to do?

I just don't feel that not being scarred by it or whatever makes it a right thing to do. I dunno. Unless there is a medical reason to do it I just don't see the point in it.

I went out with a bloke who had been circumcised late (in his late 20's) for medical reasons and always said sex was never as good after the op. I suppose if the are circumcised young they don't know any different?

Not sure. I know people don't like it over there, but like Blackberry said it is such a part of our culture over here that people don't bat an eyelash, and men (who are predominantly circumcised) are avidly for it.

I've had a few friends who have been with men who have been and haven't been, and they were freaked out by the uncircumcised penis. So that might be another reason why it is still widely sought after? :shrug:

I just think that the reasons stated like cleanliness and whatnot have to go out the window. Its proven that its fine without being circumcised and just say that its because its what they want. But that (IMO) doesn't give the right to other people who disagree with it to stomp all over them.

I hope I'm not coming across as stomping Tiff. :(

I wish I could think of an analogy to explain my viewpoint better but I can't. Lots of things are done in cultures that those in others don't agree with. Some really horrendous and many less so but still sitting uneasily in others. I suppose this sits uneasily in me. I just can't understand buying into a culture of carrying out what is essentially a cosmetic procedure on a child to young to have an understanding and opinion. Maybe I'm lucky and have never really been subjected to the sort of cultural pressure some of you have described, so maybe that gives me more liberty to feel this way without really an ability to relate to how that pressure feels. I don't know...

Oh no, wasn't meaning anyone in particular. :flower:

I understand what you are saying, as because my OH is adamant that it gets done I feel like I don't have a say? Even though I'm not sure if I want it done or not? :wacko: I've even told him that he'd have to be the one taking care of the wound afterwards (figuring that'd creep him out and he wouldn't want it done) and he said not a problem. :dohh:

I'm just not good with seeing babies in pain. ANY sort of pain, I cry when Claire had to have her immunization shots. :blush:

Slightly tongue in cheek but I bet a lot of dads feel that same way given how many mums have the majority of the decision making responsibility about their children! Or maybe they think it's an easy way out!

I've wondered that as well, with being one of the few things that as a man he has a say over. :shrug:

I guess culture is what makes humans different from animals. I don't think it is just the thought of "well I wasn't scarred" but for some reason our men here generally prefer it. *shrug* I don't know why.

I like that the world has all different practices and beliefs. I really don't think it is harmful. (In saying that, I am not saying it is necessary, but I don't find it harmful for the majority of men, in the short and long term.)

I don't think its harmful either, BB. I don't personally understand the appeal, but having my OH point out to me that I'm having an opinion on something that I haven't had, nor have had use of made sense to me.

:flower:

I don't know...I live in Canada...and I know most people are NOT getting it done here. So, I think it just depends on where you live in the country. I see a couple people here posting that they live in Canada and it is done all the time here. I see it not being done here. I live in BC. Or...perhaps the people you hang out with??? My friends are professionals...nurses, doctors, hygenists, police officers (where I work)????

I was saying in general, we are known in North America for circumcising, as compared to the UK.

I also have professional friends, who did circumcise their children, so I don't think that has anything to do with.

That's what I mean though...in general, here (Canada), where I am, it's NOT being done, and statistics support that. I never lump myself with Americans.

Ditto. :neutral:

My brother is a lawyer and not only did he get my nephew circumcised he insisted that he be in the operating room while the procedure was being done. :shrug: I as well am friends with police officers, fire fighters, fire marshals, nurses and doctors and they have their sons circumcised as well.

:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->