Classic "Lady's" Names - Inspire me?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi all!

Now, I know I'm not even pregnant. But ever since my friend had her perfect little girl a few years back and gave her such a lovely name, I've been thinking about my own names list.

DH and I have a name for a boy set in stone (but I won't tell).

But girls are SO much more difficult. I have loads I kind of like but none so far I love. I really like classic names that put you in mind of ladies in nice dresses and tea parties. :rofl: I also like names that sound "respectable" but can be shortened to something cute. I.e. "Elizabeth" is a perfectly respectable name for a doctor or a lawyer (or a PM :happydance:), but can be shortened to "Beth" or "Lizzie" or "Betty" as a cute nic name.

Unfortunately our last name starts with "S", so anything ending in "th" is pretty much out the window. Which rules out my favourite name ever: Lillith (short: Lilly).

Other names I like so far:

Marelena (Lena)
Elena (Lena or Ella)
Johanna (Hanna or Jo)
Magdalena (Maude or Lena)
Helena (the old Lena again)
Rosemary (Rose, Mary or Romy)
Liliana (Lilly)
Hermione (Mia or Mimi)
Katalina (Kate or Lina)
Amelia (Amy or Lilly)

Can anyone think of THE name I missed out? :rofl:

I too love traditional type names. Here are a few, some of which were on our list:

Arabel/Arabella
Henrietta (Hetty)
Araminta
Amelia
Phillipa
Ophelia
Viola
Penelope
Felicity
Evangeline
Tabitha
Evelyn
Octavia
Camilla
Beatrice
Constance
Cordelia
Georgiana
Mary
Jane
Elizabeth
Catherine

Some boys one:

Sebastian
Hugo
Tarquin
Felix
Tristan
Miles
Cornelius
Giles
Piers
Percival
Quincy
Theodore

what about alice?! people always say i've got an old lady's name :dohh: my sister's sally, which is also quite an old name. not sure if they're along the lines of what you're after tho lol!

Oh and my chosen name for next LO has cropped up somewhere in this thread. I love it so much, but not a lot of people do :lol:

Yeah Alice is nice, when the HV weighed Rosie she said she almost called one of her twins Rosie but she went for Sally & Alice instead, I remember thinking that was a sweet name for a girl x

I love Eleanor, but I am not sure how the kid would feel about being called Ellie. It is too easy to come up with nasty rhymes for I think, and you know how kids in school can be. What do you think?

I have Alice Elizabeth picked out for a girl which was the first name we picked if Ed had been a girl.

^^ i always wanted alice elizabeth as my name cos i never had a middle name!!

nic isnt your chosen name cornelius fudge?!

I like Elsie and Alice, both very beautiful. But unfortunately neither of them goes with our S-surname. :(

Kess, I also really like Eleanor. You've got a point about the Ellie-rhymes but you could always make sure that she's not called Ellie but maybe Nora or Lea or Elle?

I really like Evangeline, was one of my choices if i had a girl as there are so many ways you can shorten it if required. Evie, Eva, Angel, Ang

Not sure if my name - Juliette - would be classed as a ladys name, id like to think i am one tho :rofl::rofl:

Katherine? A very traditional ladies' name (just think of al those queens) - can be shortened to Kat, Kate, Katie, Kathy, or even Erin

Just thought of another - my cousin called her little girl Charlotte - could be shortened to Lottie?

Evelyn (Ev, Evie)?

I desperatly wanted to call my little girl Martha when she was born, but she was no WAY looking like a Martha at the time!!!

I loooooooove that name :cloud9:

We've a lot of girls called Eleanor / Ellie at school, none of them get called anything but Ellie!!

I like the name Sylvia aswell (t'is my nannies name) also like Ava which has become very popular recently and Gertie I think is cute for a little girl

I love Amelia (Millie), Liliana (lilly) and Constance (Connie). xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->