cleaning second hand pram??

lex100

Reaction score
hiya first post so be nice lol

i bought a speciel edition icandy carrycot on ebay to go on my apple and its supposdly been used once but obv u nver know though it looks great.

anyway i took all the cover off and machine washed and sponged down the carrycot and hood so all smells nice and fresh :thumbup:

i washed the mattress cover and the actual foam mattress bit and the carrycot lining at 60 in the mashine is this ok or do u think i should get a new mattress for it? i plan on using a sheet anyways but i know they say you should not reuse mattresses but would all the possible bugs in the foam be removed at 60?

thanx x

Hiya,

if it was me personally, i would buy a new mattress, this is mainly because i suffer from a rather annoying condition known as rhinitis, i am allergic to dust, dust mites, dust mite poo, dog hair, dander and most other airborne allergens as well. It makes a big impact on my day to day living as i am plagued with a constant groggy nose, i am more prone to throat infections, sinusitis, chest infections that take weeks to budge, i am asthmatic as a result of these allergens, i get frequent nose bleeds, itchy skin, wake up sneezing in the middle of the night randomly and then it takes hours to nod back off, my mouth itches, my chest wheezes and i get swollen joints, i have fits of sneezing that can last up to half an hour and this is with medication now as its gotten worse since i got pregnant and not to mention the hayfever season. i hate it, its such a drag on my life, a statement like that might seem abit OTT to some people but when you've had to put up with shitty symptoms like this for the best part of 23 years you start to feel abit sorry for yourself lol

so i would buy a new mattress and protect baby anyway i can against these nasties!! an alternative to buying a new matress would be to nip on ebay or even mother care sell these, a cover that protects against these allergens.

Zoe

I dont think the new matress thing is due to bugs - I think it's to decrease the chances of SIDS.
Imo anything that could reduce the chance would be worth doing

were coud you get one do u know? its an icandy apple but icandy dont deal with you direct

id say once u washed the mattress and covers its fine hun!!!!

i bought my icandy from babyboodle.com in royston they have an internet shopping fac I also have the telephone number if you want it xx

I havent looked at the icandy prams before but im thinking it could be same size as a moses basket mattress so maybe not buy a new mattress and just use your moses basket one. Im not buying a new mattress for my pram but my son was in it but im now unsure since it is best to,im buying new mattresses for moses basket and cot but never thought about the pram. xx

We also have a second hand carrycot attachment for a double buggy. I will be buying a new mattress, and will also be buying a new mattress for my moses basket as my daughter used the old one. I use these people:
https://babymattressesonline.co.uk/welcome.html
They are great, really good service. You can send them the measurements for any mattress and they will custom make it for you, and they are not expensive (cheaper than mothercare etc). You can also draw round the mattress and send them a template so you get the exact shape you need if it's a non standard shape.

If it was me I would personally buy a new mattress. Just cos i'm a worrier. x

really???? im just gonna wash my matresses ....for the moses basket + cot ....both were given to us ......once they're washed properly i dont see the harm.......but i guess if its your 1st baby u'd prob worry more...or want things brand new... i dont know ........

i am same camers shy, this is my 3rd, so i will just be giving my matress a thorough clean, on my first i didnt want any hand me downs, everything was new. But soon realised they not in anythin long enough so will gratefully accept anything thrown my way :haha:

i am same camers shy, this is my 3rd, so i will just be giving my matress a thorough clean, on my first i didnt want any hand me downs, everything was new. But soon realised they not in anythin long enough so will gratefully accept anything thrown my way :haha:

lol snap!!! i very welcome any gifts people wanna give me :haha:

friends of ours are due their 1st baby in april also and spent over 750 , pram!!!!??????on a :dohh: mine looks very similar to hers and cost a fraction of the price!!!!! i was like wtf??? lol i said she'll learn when its her 2nd or 3rd ..............

lol snap!!! i very welcome any gifts people wanna give me :haha:

friends of ours are due their 1st baby in april also and spent over 750 , pram!!!!??????on a :dohh: mine looks very similar to hers and cost a fraction of the price!!!!! i was like wtf??? lol i said she'll learn when its her 2nd or 3rd ..............

:dohh: i remember my 1st pram was around £500, and i honestly used it for a bout 3months and discovered i was a pram/buggy collector :haha: The amount of prams and buggys i had was no mans business, my husband used to dread coming home in case i had another one sitting in the kitchen :rofl: I actually had my pram this time round from a website called freecycle, so it was FREE :happydance: i have included a pic for you to see.
It as the carrycot and also a normal buggy seat attachment too, only used twice with a changing bag too :) Bought my moses basket off a neighbour for £10 with a pine rocking stand and my OH boss gave us a cot. Happy days

Attachments

• Photo0043.jpg
    Photo0043.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 8
i cannot believe u got that for free!!!! u lucky duck!!!! lol is gorgeous !!!!!

I think it is the bugs actually for second hand mattresses and SIDS. Apparently the FSID have said that 'The exsisting mattress you have will be acceptable to use for the new baby as it has never been used without a waterproof cover. The most recent research showed that soiling and or vomit that could soak in to the fibres of a non waterproof mattress was found to colonise into bacteria and "remain for a very long time". This would then be an increased risk of SID when the baby was mobile enough to sleep on its front.' In addition, according to their website 'research studies carried out by the Scottish Cot Death Trust have shown an increased risk of cot death for babies sleeping on a mattress previously used by another baby. The risk was very small if the other baby was an older brother or sister in the same family but higher if the mattress was second-hand from another home. More research is continuing on this subject but meantime you may choose to avoid any potential risk by buying a new mattress.'

As you've been able to wash your mattress, I don't think you should have any problems personally. By the time your LO is able to sleep on their front, they won't be in a carrycot anyway. Otherwise, I've seen mattresses for icandy cots on ebay for about a tenner.

i think as long as youve been able to wash the mattress in hot water i dont see the problem, ive got a second hand silver cross 3d from ebay and i wont be buying a new pram linner! its a waste of money and the baby wont be in it for long and never over night, i will however be getting a new crib mattress for the crib i used for her brother but the only reason for this is its been in the attic for 5 years and is very grubby, and i dont like it, its hard and out of shape, but otherwise if it had been in good condition i would be using it, my mum used to put me to sleep in an old laundry basket with a folded up double quilt as a mattress!!!:wacko: and she used to keep my bottles warm ALL NIGHT on a radiator!!!!:wacko::wacko: not that i think this is ok and wouldnt dream of doing it myself!!! :wacko:

hiya first post so be nice lol

i bought a speciel edition icandy carrycot on ebay to go on my apple and its supposdly been used once but obv u nver know though it looks great.

anyway i took all the cover off and machine washed and sponged down the carrycot and hood so all smells nice and fresh :thumbup:

i washed the mattress cover and the actual foam mattress bit and the carrycot lining at 60 in the mashine is this ok or do u think i should get a new mattress for it? i plan on using a sheet anyways but i know they say you should not reuse mattresses but would all the possible bugs in the foam be removed at 60?

thanx x

you can put it in the freezer either that kills the germs and dust mites! what you do with childrens teddys etc if they have asthma. then wash it on a lower temp so it doesnt get ruined on you.

other wise you could replace it, if your family has a history of allergys I replace it.:flower:

see what you think after washing it :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->