• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[CLOSED GROUP]Team Festivus 2014: Let's party! Where's the eggnog?

We've just bought a load of Christmas decorations and are going to get a real tree so I can't wait! Coincidentally my mom's birthday and OH's dad's birthday is both 12 Dec., and growing up, we both had family traditions of waiting until after their birthdays to decorate. We might do it earlier though since I'll be in the US from 22-30 Dec. We're having a Thankgiving housewarming party on 29 Nov so it definitely won't be before then. For New Years we're just planning a lazy time in like last year. Maybe a walk if the weather is ok. I'll be jet lagged as I always am for NYE!

I'm here Lil! I got so confused, I was reading the thread from the beginning and only realised much of it was from last year when tx said something depended on when Ellie decided to arrive. Doh.

I am excited about Ethan's first Xmas even though he has no idea What's going on. I love Christmas every other year when we go to my mums / my home town. On alternate years we go to DH's parents which isn't quite so much fun ...this year is my mum's turn, yay!

Has anyone started decorating?

OH has Friday off, so we're going to get a tree! Yay! He's going on some all day bike ride on Saturday, so we're going to start the decorating on Friday and then do the rest on Sunday. Sunday will also include Christmas music while we decorate! I wanted to start watching Christmas films, but we're going to watch (rewatch for OH) the 2nd Hobbit movie.

We might have NYE plans now- OH's friends have invited people around, but starting at 4. So we'll probably go early and leave early. I'm going to be jet lagged and hopefully can't drink anyway.

I've seen people posting about that creepy elf on the shelf lately, so remembered this thread!

Can't wait to see pics of people's decorations! We don't decorate (or celebrate Christmas), but the decorations are very pretty!

Maybe we should get a small tree for our bedroom. They were originally supposed to be pagan fertility symbols, so maybe it would help! :haha:

I mainly want the tree to add more cosy lights in the house- it's so depressing this time of year! I guess that was the point originally!

Someone on here told me to take vitamin D3 for seasonal depression, and it has made a HUGE difference! (Plus, it's recommended to have during pregnancy anyway.)

I have some in my pregnacare conception tablets- this winter so far I've been ok. I think it's because I've been happy to be cosy in the new house, but maybe it's the vitamins!

Almost all prenatal vitamins don't have enough D in them. Yours only have 600iu in them. Daily recommended value in pregnancy is about 5000iu. But it has no toxicity level, so I take 10,000iu. It has made an unbelievable difference in my life!

I've been taking another pill since the clocks changed, though I think that's just regular Vit D- I'll have to check next time I'm in the bathroom!

Wow! Good to know. I probably get a little more winter sunshine than a lot of y'all, but I don't get any sun after work so I am sure extra vitamin D couldn't hurt. :thumbup:

One of the things I like most about going to NC for Christmas is the increase in sun! The sun is already setting before 4pm here already! My first winter in the UK, I didn't go back because my family all came over here, and it was terrible. I was looking into SAD lamps. I've never had a winter like that again though, and I think the Christmas break helps!

I've checked and the extra Vit D pills I've been taking are just normal Vit D, and they're 25µg. Since I have to go to the mall for the Apple Store anyway, I'm going to pop into the vitamin shop while I'm there!

I've got a bottle of 5000iu D3 soft gels. They're tiny, so very easy to take. I do two before bed.

I used to just feel so depressed all winter, especially when the sun goes down at 5pm. But since I started taking it, I've been feeling awesome 24/7!

I love the coziness of the Christmas lights as well! I think we're going to decorate on Friday evening (though hubs doesn't know this yet).

I take 4000IU of Vitamin D daily in the winter and 2000IU during the summer. I don't know that it helped my mood as much as it helped me feel less tired.

Also, I fucking hate Elf on a Shelf. I seriously consider blocking people who post pictures or statuses about it on Facebook.

Hahaha, my sister has been complaining about her kids' elf. I'm like, "Dude, you were the one who chose to bring this instrument of torture into your life. I distinctly remember telling you I thought it sounded like a lot of work."

Elf on a Shelf would have terrified me as a child! "Oh god, it comes to life when I'm sleeping. I've seen Chucky. I know where this is going!"

I used to pile shit in front of my door on Christmas because the thought of a fat stranger breaking into my house in the middle of the night caused me so much anxiety. Luckily, my parents were more interested in keeping the illusion going for my nephew, as he lived with us at the time. They basically just came to me with a bag of stuff and said, "These are T's presents from Santa. We're going to hide them in your closet. Don't tell him Santa's not real."

I think your average 6-year-old girl would have been heartbroken, but I was relieved!

I got some Vit d3 supplements so ready to get more of a boost!

I also did some Christmas shopping today and am actually almost done! I'm finished with OH and my brother, so just need to get something else for my mom and dad. I might get something else small for my brother's girlfriend. I also need to get something for OH's mum and his niece and nephew, but those will probably be from both of us.

I'm almost done shopping. Just have to get something for bil gf and the gift exchange.

I just need to find something small to put under the tree for hubs since Mr. Nosy/Impatient signed for the UPS delivery of his Xbox One and "thought it was something he ordered" so opened the box. And then his incessant begging was annoying me so I let him hook it up. So much for that surprise! At least he likes it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->