Cloth Nappies - Just dont know what to do??

Jox

💙💙💙💝
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

really hoping someone can help me :flower:

I have some cloth nappies. bought when i was pg but just not used them yet with LO being prem.

Really want to get into using them but just dont know how to do it??!!??

Ive got the one that dont need a waterproof cover and ones that you have to slip the insert into it. At the mo i have 8 nappies and 16 liners.

What im unsure of is what you do when you take them off??

Where do you put them?

Do you rinse them if its a poo or just put them somewhere till you wash them??

If its just a wee do you just change the liner or the whole nappy, if the whole nappy then why have double the amount of liners?

Just the practical stuff really, what you actually physically do when changing/storing/washing them as i really want to get into using them.

thank you in advance :flower:

Jox

Ok first things first, I think you have inserts rather than liners. Inserts are the absorbent part of a pocket nappy, which is what it sounds like you have, and liners are what you use to catch poo - liners are not absorbent, they just make clean up easier :)

Sooo, when you change LO you need some kind of lidded bucket or container (some people use storage boxes, it doesn't have to be a proper nappy bucket). If it's a wet nappy, I'd shake the inserts out of the nappy so that they're free in the wash and just put the whole thing in the bucket/box. Don't soak them or anything. If it's a dirty nappy, at your LO's age you'll probably want to tip the poo down the loo. So you'd probably pull out the inserts first and put them in the bucket, then deal with the rest of the nappy. If poo is stuck to the nappy, you can hold the nappy in the loo and flush, or some people use an old credit card to flick it into the loo. Then just put the nappy in the bucket with the rest. If you want, you can rinse it under a tap or shower to help prevent stains but you don't have to.

If you have pocket nappies, you can't just change the insert because the fabric on the inside of the nappy will have wee on it. You need to change the whole thing. The reason you have two inserts per nappy is that sometimes one insert won't be absorbent enough. As your LO is 4 months old, you might find you need both in the nappy at once. They both go in the pocket together.

If you find poo cleanup too nasty, you can get liners to catch the poo. You can get disposable ones (which you throw away like you would a disposable nappy), flushable ones (that go down the loo) or fleece ones which you rinse through like a nappy. Fleece ones keep baby's skin nice and dry too and prevent staining on the nappy itself.

If I've misunderstood you and you don't have pocket nappies, if you have something like Flips where you have an outer bit and then an insert that just lays in the nappy (not in a pocket, the insert touches LO's skin directly), then you can sometimes reuse the outer if it's not dirty and just put in a new insert.

WSS, but also I find that you often need extra inserts with pocket nappies, as the pocket nappies themselves dry really quickly, but the ibnsrtts, especially if you have bamboo or hemp ones, can take a long time to dry. If you have more insets than pockets, you can reuse the pockets long before the inserts are dry, so if you have at least double the amount of inserts, you can turn the pockets around much more quickly, and it's much cheaper to but just the inserts, than to buy more complete nappies.

Also, if you do decide to use flushable liners, it's best to get good quality onesm such as Popolini ones, as if they are only wet, they will wash few times, rather than throwing away every one. This makes them a far more economical option than the so called cheap paper ones, as you'll probably only be using one a day, instead of one a nappy! Also the Popolini ones are much softer thatn the cheap paper ones.

Thank u ladies. Think I'm gonna give it a go :thumbup:

That's exactly the info I needed.

Do u recommend using the liners?

Xxx

P.s yes i have the pocket nappies with the inserts x

if your BF then its probably not worth using liners till you start weaning as poo will be to runny normally if you are FF then you could start using them right away,

i personally like the ease of flushable liners as it makes cleanup a bit easier for me anyway i keep intending to make up some fleece liners but not got around to it yet lol

He was on ebm till a wk or so ago, now on formula.

How much are the flushable liners and where's best to get them from?

:flower:

theres plenty of places

https://www.babykind.co.uk/boostersandliners.htm#flushable
https://www.mothercare.com/TotsBots-Flushable-Nappy-Liners-pack/dp/B0027I09CM?_encoding=UTF8&
https://www.funkymonkeypants.com/liners.html

We have the paper liners at the moment but only use them when we need to put on diaper cream. Most of the zinc creams can block the pores of the pocket nappies so they are needed. I have some Wee Notion fleece liners coming in the post though! Can't wait!

The Tots Bots liners can be bought in bigger Tesco stores, which is handy if you don't like shopping online :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->