CMPI- what do you feed your LO's?

Kato2

Mummy to 1 and pregnant
Reaction score
I tried soya yoghurt but think it made him uncomfortable. I really struggle with puddings- what do you feed your LO's in place of cheese, yoghurt etc?

Anyone used goat yoghurt with success?

I make my own custard using his dairy free formula

heres a recipe

120ml prepared formula
1 egg yolk (make sure there is no egg white or it will turn to scrambled egg)
2 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
a few drops of vanilla
1/2 tsp of sugar or leave the sugar out and mix the cooked custard with pureed fruit

instructions put 2 tsp of cornstarch into a microwave jug, whisk with a fork as you mix the prepared formula in, mix the egg yolk, vanilla essence and sugar in. Microwave for around 40 seconds, stir and then another 10 secs stir and repeat until thick.

I also give mashed banana for puddings and this custard mainly. You can vary the custard by changing the essences if you are comfortable doing that. I have used banana and strawberry essence before and you can also add 1/2 t cocoa powder for chocolate custard.

There are loads of possibilities. You can get coconut milk yoghurt now it is a bit pricey but very thick so a little bit goes a long way. You can also get plant based cheeses, again can be pricey but you're not going to be using much with a baby or toddler anyway. Two of the best brands are vegusto and vegourmet, vegusto which if you google them they have their own site, is rather more pricey and the no moo melty and mild aromatic varieties have a bit of a fake quavers kind of tang to them but the other varieties are much nicer. Vegourmet is a bit more processed generally though the montanero variety does have tahini in so its more substantial (and has more calcium) and I really love it, tastes a bit like a smokey german or austrian cheese when uncooked and cheddar when melted into things (and it melts almost exactly like normal cheese). Also unlike most regular cheeses now it lasts for well over a week in the fridge without going mouldy or 'off'. Only problem with that one is its hard to get hold of only one shop in London sell it at the moment (vx) they do mail order but they use normal Royal Mail to send stuff and their delivery costs can be up to £8.80 xx

ETA: please do not try goats or Sheep yoghurt the proteins are very similar to cows' milk yoghurt. A lot of people claim that these other animal milks were fine for them and their kids but maybe they didn't have a true cows' milk intolerance or allergy or it was very very mild. My second youngest reacted to goats' milk worse than he did cows' milk :(

Thank you- I think ill google some of your suggestions. I know he won't miss cheese a he's never had it but I pass the cheese aisle and wish I could give him it as I know it's such a good source of calcium! Will certainly try my own yoghurt today too! X

Hey, my little girl has allergies and intolerances to loads of foods and I seriously struggle! Holland and Barrett do a non dairy, non soya yogurt which is based on pea protein, wasn't any good for us as it has apple in it which my little lady can't have but might work for you?

That's the only suggestion I have really. Oh, apart from we make dairy, egg and gluten free muffins, you can either make them savoury with things like carrot, tomato, courgette etc in, or sweet with blueberries, peaches etc, lots of variations.

If I think of anything else I will et you know, will also be watching this thread to get more ideas myself :)

Oh and I forgot to mention the coconut milk yoghurt is sold in ocado and most health food shops (not yet H&B but perhaps soon), brand is co-yo. Any problems with the product the company are fantastic; we got three pots that went mouldy before the use by due to not being stored/transported cold enough to the shop we got them from, they sent us a selection of yoghurts in their new improved packaging, a branded cool bag and they are refunding us for the money the original yoghurts cost too :D xx

Just made some really yummy dairy, egg and gluten free carrot flapjack, recipe is here if your interested, you can them use the flapjack base recipe and add other ingredients instead of carrot to experiment :)

https://britishfood.about.com/od/adrecipes/r/Crunchy-Carrot-Flapjack-Recipe.htm

I made them in a mini muffin tray for nice bite size pieces :) well bite size for my toddler, quite a few bites for my little lady, lol

I've always struggled with desserts for her but am collecting more ideas recently...

Wot no dairy from health stores or goodness direct. She loves the raspberry one, cherry and peach ones. 59p each.
Custard made with her milk with a biscuit. Tastes ok actually!
Rice pudding made with her milk.
Hipp jar: plum and pear pudding.
Warburtons crumpet with Pure.
Dairy and soya free ice cream (bessant and drurys)
Sugar free jelly.
Ordered some co yo to try.

Floofymad if you like coconut don't try the coyo you will eat it all yourself :D. It tastes like the Rachel's dairy yoghurt with coconut in and it's hard to believe its totally dairy free. It's great in cooking as well, makes a fantastic korma (obv the natural variety not the fruity ones etc). It also works well as a buttermilk or normal yoghurt substitute in baking. My only gripe is that they need to make a natural flavour without xylitol in, coconut is naturally sweet anyway so it's a bit superfluous. They have said this is something that they are looking into as quite a few customers have suggested it xx

Oh and talking of coconut the Kara coconut milk is fab for making custard and pancakes in some ways it works better than cows' milk, it's great for porridge as well and because its naturally slightly sweet that's a bonus xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->