Concerns about naps when LO goes to daycare

Brz04

Reaction score
I return to work in a few weeks (DS will be 12 weeks but he is starting daycare for a few hours a day at 10 weeks to get him adjusted). I am a little concerned if he will sleep during the day. First of all I think he relies heavily on the comfort of me nursing/breastfeeding him to fall asleep. I am so worried that he won't sleep at all during the day when he is given bottles of formula! Also I am concerned that while he usually falls asleep while nursing (unless he's just woken up from a nap) I'll make sure he's completely asleep then transfer him to swing, boppy on the couch, bassinet etc and he will wake within minutes. If I let him sleep on me he will sleep for hours! Any suggestions??? I am so nervous that he will scream all day and not get any sleep at daycare :(

Idk I am going to be in same situation too. Mine starts daycare after the first! Maybe he will be exhausted and sleep at night better!

I also will be in the exact situation in 1.5 months when I return to work. My lo nurses to sleep and naps on my lap. I am so worried! Hopefully all our babies will adjust.

I know you think he don't but you will be surprised at how he will adjust. He will know your not there and will do stuff at nursery that he won't at home and visa versa. When my lo first started I'll be honest he didn't sleep for more than 20 mins at a time but now he does 2+ hours. If it's a good nursery they will sit and hold him if that's what he initially needs. X

I was exactly the same when Isabelle started at 8 months...she had only ever been rocked to sleep and slept in my arms, she goes to sleep on some cushions by herself at nursery but still needs me to rock her at home. Just shows how much she's playing me...little madam! He will just find a new way of falling asleep, they do adjust quite well!

My lo is a little older, 10 months when he started nursery, but on his first full day he went down happily for an hours nap, no rocking or feeding needed. Now he always has a 2 hour nap whenever he's there! At home though he always nurses to sleep and then sleeps on me, no matter what I try. I'm sure your ds will surprise you with how well he adapts.

My little girl was about 8 weeks old when she started going to daycare part-time. She was the same way, would really only sleep on me or daddy. I was also so scared of her not sleeping well. And honestly, the first day she didn't nap as much as she had been at home but it wasn't a huge difference. They held her during her naps so she would sleep better in her new environment. Now she sleeps well, though sometimes they still have to hold her while she sleeps if she is teething but that is pretty rare.

They do adjust :) It is hard not to worry but he will have fun meeting new people and children and may even sleep better while he is there!

I'm a nursery nurse and when I was working in the "baby room" we had set nap times in the day where all the cots came out for the babies, but if we sensed a baby won't sleep then that baby would be held. And eventually the napping pattern fell in line with the other babies and with confidence they were able to be put down in a cot (with a bit of rocking) and sleep with the other children ;-)) children are amazing at adjusting xxxx

Just make sure you find a daycare that will meet his needs whatever they are. My daughter is pretty much always fed, held, rocked or at least holds my hand to fall asleep. She'd never gone to sleep with anyone but me or her dad. When she started nursery at 8 months, they just did whatever she needed. Often someone would just sit and hold her for an hour while she slept. Now she's become a bit more comfortable there and she can be rocked to sleep and them put down on a mat or in a cot. They make it work. But I think the key is finding a place that has a similar philosophy to you about sleep and isn't so busy that staff won't have time. Our nursery only can take 3 babies under 18 months and usually there's only 1 or at most 2 there on any one day, so it's very much one-on-one care. They've been really sensitive to her needs and have found ways to make things work. I had massive concerns to begin with as well. But they've been great and she's been fine. Actually, now she sleeps better at nursery than at home!

My baby started daycare at 9weeks. She only goes twice a week for 6hrs. I am always unhappy with her sleep when she is there. At home I hold her and she sleeps 30min-1hr every 2hrs. At daycares she gets 20min at most twice a day. I have to nap her for 2+ hrs as soon as we get home or she has a meltdown later that day(when hubby watches her while I go to school). Maybe it's my fault for holding her for naps and maybe if she was there full time it would be different. My daycare has too many babies to hold them for naps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->