Confused about how to sleep - back/left/right?

M

Maid Marian

I've heard vague things about how sleeping in different ways can harm baby, but I'm not sure which position is best? And is it very serious? I mean I tend to fall asleep on my right, and often wake up on my back - is this bad? :wacko:

Im the same, sleep on left an always wake up on my back, or if im really sleepy i fall asleep on my back, But ive read it can be really bad :(

I've heard vague things about how sleeping in different ways can harm baby, but I'm not sure which position is best? And is it very serious? I mean I tend to fall asleep on my right, and often wake up on my back - is this bad? :wacko:

There is evidence that sleeping on the back can put too much pressure on the baby, so doctors and midwives advise against it. Certainly try to do it as little as possible, if you can. Lying on the left or right side is good, but left is best as it sends more nutrients etc to the placenta/baby. Hope that helps xx

They say to avoid your back after a certain week, as baby gets bigger the weight can press on the vena cava, a large blood vessel carrying blood back to the heart. Midwife tells me it wont harm baby but will make you feel faint and sick and you will wake due to this before it becomes any risk to baby.
I'm having a problem with it at the moment as I am a back sleeper due to a back injury and I'm finding myself like a pig on a spit roast! start on left go to back then to right and back again throughout the night! I'm using lots of pillows to prop myself up so when on my back I'm at a 45 degree angle and not completely flat this seems to work for me and midwife said it was ok.
Apparently best side for baby is sleeping on your left side I think, as this optimises blood flow through the placenta and he does seem to move about more when I'm on left side. It's just not always easy to stay there is it!?
Hope you find a comfortable position and I always think women have been having babies since time began and I'm sure they didn't worry like we did back in the iron ages. xx

I personally take all this information with a grain of salt. I've never seen a headline that reads, "tragic accident as pregnant woman falls asleep on her back". . . . .

THe human body is a magnificent machine that is absolutely designed to carry a child. Even if the mother sleeps on her left, right or back. You will naturally roll over if your body senses an issue with blood flow or any other thing that a Dr. or other will tell you. Trust me, I slept on my right side with my first pregnancy and have been chastised for it more than once. . it's gets highly aggravating. And my toddler is perfectly fine to this day.. .
Just relax a little and try to remember that before the medical community picked apart every vein and nerve that 'may' do something. . . . women had millions of perfectly healthy babies . . and I'm willing to bet many of them were back or right-side sleepers. . .
If anyone can show me documented evidence of this being a major issue in pregnancy I would love to read it. . other than that. . .let me get my rest in the fashion I find most comfortable. . . .
Sorry if I sound a little harsh. . I just get so tired of the useless 'advice' people give to pregnant women when all it does is serve to worry them more. . .

whatevers most comfortable i say! i usually end upon my backas laying on myside feels really uncomfortable when you get so big that the weight of the baby can make you feel faint your certainly know about it and shift to the side til then lay however you like x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->