Confused- comdoms.

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
This isent anything important but just a thought i was having.

When they say that comdoms are only 96% effective, is that 4% break or 4% become pregnant after using them?

You only have a 3-5% chance of becoming pregnant from one sexual incounter around the time of ovulation so going with that figger it must meen that 4% of comdoms break or come off??

Am i right?

I figure its ...error margin? ie. slippage, breakage, coming off, using mosturiser on your leg/face/hands ..etc etc

sure someone wise will come along shortly..lol

was trying to explain to my oh that they arent reliable... he was like "huh"..i never knew that.. :-o

I always thought that it was 4% of getting pregnant from a broken condom... but I am really confused about this myself so I can't be sure :shrug:

I figure its ...error margin? ie. slippage, breakage, coming off, using mosturiser on your leg/face/hands ..etc etc

sure someone wise will come along shortly..lol

was trying to explain to my oh that they arent reliable... he was like "huh"..i never knew that.. :-o

i would say your right. some things make the condom basicly brake like lipstick, baby oil and many other things i believe i was told cheesse also has the same effect :dohh:

also the things of putting it on with an air pocket it side it likely to make it blow up when he blows so to speak. as well as some lubes are not ment to be used with condoms so you should always check the bottle/tub ect

oh also the friction from the man bits and women bits can make the condom brake if your no erm wet enough

EDIT:

just found this on website to give more info

1. The condom is past its prime. Condom wrappers have an expiration date on them, so be sure to take note.
2. Storage issues. Heat damages latex condoms, so they shouldn't be kept in a hot place such as a glove compartment or a wallet. Keep them in your medicine cabinet or nightstand instead.
3. Lack of lubrication. If there is friction while having sex, especially anal sex, not only will it cause pain and irritation to your privates, but the condom can break. So be sure to use lubricated condoms or use extra lube if you need to.

To hear the other three reasons read more.

4. You're using the wrong lubricant. If you're using latex condoms, oil-based lubricants can weaken the rubber and cause a tear, so use only water-based lubes.
5. The condom doesn't fit. If the condom is too small or too large, it can rip, so experiment with different sized condoms to get a snug fit — not too tight and not too loose.
6. The woman is tight. Some women's vaginal muscles are naturally tight, so to help prevent condom breakage, lubrication (and a lot of it) is a must.

So that 4% is breakage ect and not pregnancy.

They realy dont make these things clear.

im guessing it means you have a 4% chance the condom will brake which also gives you a 4% chance of getting pregnant though a broken condom ? :shrug:

since dont condoms also have spermasides on them?

lol clear as mud this contraceptive lark.

i agree - i have always thought about this so thank you for asking :thumbup:

So now for my question :dohh: do you know if a condom has split?? i asked my friend the other day and she said she heard it when one broke on her - it kind of popped :haha:

I have never thought about it, but now since thinking about it :lol: I would say 4% don't do the job of blocking the sperm from the vagina.

So now for my question :dohh: do you know if a condom has split?? i asked my friend the other day and she said she heard it when one broke on her - it kind of popped :haha:

Never had one pop during sex but when i was younger, my mates used to blow them up over there heads and it sounded like a baloon going bang.

Most of them tear so im gessing there would be no noise.

Not all condoms have spermicides, infact hardly any do thesedays.

I guess... theres a lot to go wrong with condoms, plus.. any micro hole..not visable to the naked eye.... could result in pregnancy

Oh you know if they split...worse if they come off..lol always happens if they are too small...just rolls off! (good job I have the implant as well)

Its not quite right when you say 4% of people get pregnant when using them, its actually less than that.

Because every single time one person has sex using a condom it means they have 4% of it failing. Rather than 4 out of 100 getting pregnant.

Because if you think about it, if it was that way round (4% of people getting pregnant out of the 100%) then if YOU used a condom 100 times then you would get pregnant 4 times. That means people who use condoms for years and years it would be failing on a regular basis, which just doesnt happen.

Every single time one person has sex they are 96% protected, if 100 people had sex they are 96% protected, not 4 out of 100 people will get pregnant. It works out a lot less.

As for breakage and slipping, well thats a totally different ball game.

Iv had 2 come off lol. Once when i had the implant so wasent such a biggy and then one last week.

I must say its not nice having to fish that out :sick:

Its not quite right when you say 4% of people get pregnant when using them, its actually less than that.

Because every single time one person has sex using a condom it means they have 4% of it failing. Rather than 4 out of 100 getting pregnant.

Because if you think about it, if it was that way round (4% of people getting pregnant out of the 100%) then if YOU used a condom 100 times then you would get pregnant 4 times. That means people who use condoms for years and years it would be failing on a regular basis, which just doesnt happen.

Every single time one person has sex they are 96% protected, if 100 people had sex they are 96% protected, not 4 out of 100 people will get pregnant. It works out a lot less.

As for breakage and slipping, well thats a totally different ball game.

I dident say that 4% get pregant, i was asking as comdoms are only 96% effective what is the 4%, pregnancy or breakage.

LOL glad its not just me... oh finds it hilarious for some reason ..yeah gross!!!:wacko:

LOL glad its not just me... oh finds it hilarious for some reason ..yeah gross!!!:wacko:

I just looked at my OH and he made a face and said "im not getting it out" He goes up there more than me but wont fish a comdom out!

We've had a few broken condoms and we didn't know until he went to take it off and cum was all over the outside :dohh: (TMI sorry!)

+ I find it really embarassing if a condom just sucked up into my you know what :rofl: I remember the first time it happened when i had just started to go out with stefan and he was like 'where did it go?' all confused :rofl: I just pretended i didn't know and was looking for it with him :blush:

I think they should bring in singing condoms, so when they split they start singing..

I already picked a song.. "Tragedy" by steps...

:rofl:

Am I the only one who've never had any of these condom issues? No breakage/coming off or anything... either I'm freakishly good at putting them on or we are getting ones with some kind of protective built in forcefield haha...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->