Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Congratulations Naaxi :D
Hope everything goes well for you

Countdown to ovulation has started for us.... hopefully it'll come before our donor goes on holiday so we can start trying *fingers crossed*

hi ladies, hope you're all well.

congrats to naxxi!:happydance:

i'm feeling like it's never gonna happen for me. i had arranged for my donor to come round next saturday, cd18. i usually ov on cd19 and very occasionally cd20. now he's going away and can only make it on cd17 in the morning or early afternoon. turns out he's also away next month so i will have to miss out again if i don't catch this month :cry:

suppose i'm just feeling a bit down about it all at the mo. everyone else seems to be getting pregnant or have just had babies and as much as i am truely happy for them it hurts.

think i might have to book a holiday next week so i have something to look forward to and to take my mind off things:thumbup:

17th is still ok if you'll ov on 19th or 20th! I did it 3 days before ov once and got pregnant still :) Try not to stress! Everyone I know on here since I joined over a yearago has got pregnant, had their babies, and are now trying for number 2. Id be happy with just the one!!

i had arranged for my donor to come round next saturday, cd18. i usually ov on cd19 and very occasionally cd20. now he's going away and can only make it on cd17 in the morning or early afternoon.

That's ok! Still good timing! Go for it -- and try to stay positive! (Easier said than done... trust me... i'm feeling the same as you!!!!)

:hugs:

Hi all, Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread
I noticed the thread was started a few years ago, so im hoping you all could share some info if or help if thats ok?

Before I start, Id like to say Congrats to naaxi:) (sorry if I have spelt name wrong)

Anyway, I was looking to do AI at home with donor sperm, I have been on Cryos international sperm bank DK website, I have also contacted them about their "pick-up" option which costs approx 25euro to pick up sperm in Denmark. However I would still need a delivery authorisation. I would need a medical professional to sign it before I could pick up the paid donor sperm in person. has anyone had experience with this?
I have been on a few other websites and noticed a few girls in Canada/US have said they had actually signed the delivery authorisation themselves instead of getting med prossional to do it! Is this possibly? I would think they would check up on it wouldn't they?

anyway, I hope someone can help
Thank you R xx:flower:

I would need a medical professional to sign it before I could pick up the paid donor sperm in person. has anyone had experience with this?
I have been on a few other websites and noticed a few girls in Canada/US have said they had actually signed the delivery authorisation themselves instead of getting med prossional to do it! Is this possibly? I would think they would check up on it wouldn't they?

:hi: Hi -- And welcome!

Not sure if this is what you mean or not..... but the sperm bank i used required me to get a consent form signed by my gyno. stating that i am in fact involved with a doctor, have had a physical, and i have their approval to go ahead with an at-home insemination with donor sperm.

I see my gyno annually... so just called the office & asked them to sign the form. In all honesty, there was alot of confusion... i had to talk with a few receptionists/nurses... some seemed quite perplexed (at home insemination with frozen donor sperm?? what?! :wacko:). But then one of the female doctors in the practice asked me to come in so she could see the form... she read it... signed it no problem... and wished us luck. She said friends of hers had recently had a baby girl via an at-home insemination with donor sperm. And she appologized that the nurses were clueless.

I faxed the form back to the sperm bank... and they sent me my sperm.

I suppose the form could have been "forged" but, i would never personally do that........ i'm not very ballsy! :haha:

I'm sure your doc will sign it!

Hi Rubyrainbows,
Yes thats the form I'm on about.
No, me neither I havn't got the guts to forge it :haha:
I havn't seen a gyno before only my GP, I live in the UK. so Iam not sure where they stand on home insemination and donor sperm "pick up"/delivery.
I have a feeling the laws in the UK won't allow Pick up, but I am not 100% sure.? I'm not sure if UK med proffessional will sign it.
I would be picking it up from Denmark and staying with family over their while doin HI, so its not as if I am wanting them to deliver in UK.
I'm still pretty new to all this, I do appoligise if come accross as ignorant. It is very hard to find info on infertility, sperm donoation, HI etc.
I am not even sure of HI success rate?

R x

I *think* your GP may sign it Ronnie. As long as you make it clear you're doing it overseas and you just need them to sign it to say you have been 'cleared' for pregnancy,.

Hi Tegans Mama, thanks for your reply.
I will speak with her and see what she says,... I hope she will sign it tho!!

Hi Ronnie,

I think you can have any doctor sign it. Although, if it was me, I'd be tempted to just forge it, because there is no way they actually call your doctor to check. I'm sure its just a legal thing they need to have on file for due diligence or something. Do you have any friends who are doctors? I'd just try to find someone to sign it for me.

Frozen sperm doesn't work that well. Frequently clinics do IUI with frozen sperm to improve the odds of it working. Doing it at home, I believe the success rate is roughly 3-10%. With IUI I think it is more like 6-20%. If you do go ahead with the home insemination, make sure you get ICI prepped sperm, NOT IUI prepped sperm. In other words, you want unwashed sperm. It will live longer than the washed sperm. I would also opt to use the instead cup method or buy a cervical cap with stem, so that you are getting your sample ONTO your cervix and not losing any. Just because the sperm banks don't give you as large of a sample.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't worry about asking questions - there's a lot to learn at the beginning.

Also, with frozen sperm, your timing needs to be dead on. I think success rates are highest when your eggs are being monitored and you can give yourself a trigger shot to know exactly when ovulation is occurring. Assume the frozen swimmers are only going to make it 12-24 hours, not 3-7 days like fresh sperm. I would try to time insemination for the day of ovulation (0-12 hours after ovulation).

I'm telling you all this not to be depressing, but just so that you can make informed decisions about how to spend your money and what timing you need. Some people opt to do the full IUI rather than possibly have to do twice as many cycles of insemination at home with frozen sperm.

Hi nimyra.
No unfortunately i dont have any friends who are doctors etc, To be honest I have thought about forging it, But I am scared they find out or try and contact the "doctor" :haha: but like you I think it is just for record. I am very eager to get started and seem like I always hit a brick wall. I have been on the website and found a possibly match myself and OH would like to use, I just hope The delivery authorisation wont delay us and the donor match is gone.
It would be good to hear from people who have forged it, But I'm not sure if they would share such info :haha:

I'm telling you all this not to be depressing, but just so that you can make informed decisions about how to spend your money and what timing you need. Some people opt to do the full IUI rather than possibly have to do twice as many cycles of insemination at home with frozen sperm.

Yeah, I am on the waiting list for IUI in the UK, and although I am private patient The waiting time is 2years!
we have some spare cash saved up and would be willing to use it to do HI. The way I looked at it, We would use the spare cash on a cheap holiday and Id rather try my chances at HI than go on the holiday!
If it failed then I would just sit tight and wait the 2 years(although it would be very tough)
yeah I have read about ICI an noticed that was the better option( and cheaper too :haha:). I do appreciate the info you have given me and also taken it all on board, :)..

I bet your GP will help you out. Its really just a formality. :) Good luck!

We had male factor infertility too and considered using frozen sperm (even made an appt with my OBGYN to get the authorization form signed) before deciding to use a known donor.

Yeah, I am on the waiting list for IUI in the UK, and although I am private patient The waiting time is 2years!
we have some spare cash saved up and would be willing to use it to do HI. The way I looked at it, We would use the spare cash on a cheap holiday and Id rather try my chances at HI than go on the holiday!
If it failed then I would just sit tight and wait the 2 years(although it would be very tough)
yeah I have read about ICI an noticed that was the better option( and cheaper too :haha:). I do appreciate the info you have given me and also taken it all on board, :)..

2 years?! That is madness. Hope things work out before then! I'm all for taking matters into your own hands.

Thank you,
I will see my GP this coming tuesday, So i will let you know how i get on

Thank you again for your advice.. It has been really helpful:)
x

ps yes, i agree maddness!! certainly doesn't help the stress/frustration/pain of it all
but i am sure i will get their :D x

ps yes, i agree maddness!! certainly doesn't help the stress/frustration/pain of it all
but i am sure i will get their :D x

At least you can get on a waiting list! Not sure if anywhere private would help us and the NHS certainly won't..They only help for first babies and you have to ttc the traditional way for over 12 months which is just NOT an option for someone in a same sex relationship. It's ridiculous.

Congrats to those who got their BFP's and good luck to those who are just beginning their journey, and also to those in the middle! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->