Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

I do have a friend who is currently pregnant after a single insem the day after though, so it can work both ways if the planets align, the gods don't notice and you cross your fingers enough...

Well my weekend was tumultuous, to say the least.

We traveled 4.5 hours & turned it into a mini family vacation for the sole purpose of traveling to where the donor lives... so he wouldn't have to travel far... and we could get two (instead of just one!) donations this cycle.

Well..... we got our 1st donation from him on Saturday night.

He was supposed to come again on Sunday....... but...... he said he would prefer to wait until Monday bc he "would be able to produce a better sample if he waited another day." (I think OH may have O'ed on Sunday based on CM -- It was stretchy/EWCM -- Does that mean day of Ov???)

On Monday, he canceled bc he said he was having car trouble. :cry:

Now at this point, we had paid to stay an extra night bc that was his preference!!!!!!!!

So we contacted a previous donor.... and he came Monday & Tuesday & gave us 2 donations. So now, out of desperation, we ended up using two different donors in one cycle!!!!!!!!!!!! :dohh: But i think these two donations came after ovulation??? (By this point, CM was thicker/whiter).

So many TTC misadventures!!!!!!

Any of you experts on interpreting CM??

The two donors look very different (one has dark hair/eyes & very mediterranean-looking...... and the other has lighter hair/blue eyes/light complextion - irish heritage). So, i think we would know which donor fathered the baby, if pregnancy is achieved....... but it still isn't an ideal situation.

If it doesn't work this month.... i think we will take a break. We are out of PMA & out of money!

I love your quote tho, Gina!!!!!!!!! Fingers are firmly crossed!!!!!!!!

In our experience, inseminating when there is EWCM is the way to go regardless of when precisely it appears with regards to ovulation. It was the only thing we had to go on given OPKs don't work for me thanks to the PCOS and my cycles varied in length by a week or so. As you know, this time we inseminated when I had EWCM and then possibly didn't ovulate for three more days, but still got pregnant. That lovely EWCM nourishes the little swimmers and helps them on their way - and can clearly keep them going for a while. Anything else just clogs things up and is far less effective at getting the spermies to where they need to go. So as far as I'm concerned, the fact that you inseminated when your DP had EWCM means you've got the timing right. The rest is, well, you know what I think about that... ;)

Good luck guys! Thinking of you.

Lisa, I know quite a few people who have needed more than three rounds of IUI to get pregnant. I'm not sure where your doc got his stats from but it's unfair for him to lead you to believe you'll definitely be successful within this, or any time frame. It's true, if all goes well there's a fair chance you might be and it's ALWAYS worth a shot, but there are never any guarantees in this game. Good luck with it!

Sounds good OHai. Fingers crossed for you!

Gina. x

Gina you must be ready to pop! Any sign that baby is on the way???

Ruby-I think if you insem'd on Saturday and you think OH O'd on Sunday that you are in good shape...and a Monday insem is good coverage as well...that eggy can live up to 24 hrs!

I am SO ready to pop, but this baby is clearly very comfy in there and is showing no signs of making an appearance any time soon. I lost my plug 2 weeks ago and the week before that I had a tummy bug that set off contractions for a while but they were clearly due to the bug, not a ready baby because they stopped and didn't come back. I get braxton hicks all the time but they haven't changed in regularity/intensity in weeks. I'm beginning to think I might make it to February at this rate...

How are you doing? It won't be long before it's your turn. :)

Gina. x

Hello...

Mind if I join? I have been stalking this thread for like a month now.

Did my first at home insemination this month, was having some really good symptoms, AF came today, but 5 days early?! Never had this before. I am normally a 35 day cycle. Can anyone explain this?

Good luck to you all...

Eurgh I hate when AF teases me... 9dpo and the morning of 10dpo I had spotting, then nothing all of yesterday (11dpo) until last night, then more pink spotting and now (12dpo) barely anything. If she is going to come, then come already! 5 days of bleeding is enough insult to injury, I don't want the extra days of spotting as well! Bah! I'll test the 28th if the witch isn't strong by then... OH fears it might be ectopic. I don't think so. But I had such a good feeling about this month. Pity bean doesn't seem to have stuck.

How are all you ladies doing? Must get my mind off of it! Then maybe she'll come. You lucky ladies are so close to having your bundles, are you excited to finally meet them??

And I am sorry the donor situation went awry, Ruby. Sounds like timing was good, though! I haven't had EWCM in months :( Best of luck!

Gina -- Hope that sweet little baby of yours arrives soon! Best of luck with a great delivery! Can't wait to see pics -- And find out what name you've chosen!!

And Erin too! You are right around the corner!!

Naaxi -- That's frustrating that AF is playing games! Hopefully it will be a good sign & you will get your BFP -- Have you been testing?

Thanks for the vote of confidence girls -- If it doesn't happen this month -- I'm going to start thinking maybe there is a problem! I started this thread sooo long ago!

Aww, I know it's hard Ruby. I send all the best for sure, it's frustrating when it just doesn't happen. If this IS AF, then I am on my 28th month ttc.

And no, I am only 12dpo today, I am much too scared to test. I might, though, just to kickstart AF like last month. The spotting would concern me if I was newly pregnant, though.

Gina-I am starting to feel pretty big and uncomfortable so I can only imagine how you are feeling. My first trimester nausea also seems to have made a reappearance which stinks but it's not too awful. Seems to come in the evening. I have also had a couple of nights where I have had menstrual like cramps off and on throughout the night-not like contractions really just achey pain for sometimes up to a half hour at a time. I've told doc and he doesn't seem concerned-it never gets worse or intensifies-it's just unpleasant when it happens. I hope your baby decides to make an appearance soon. Maybe time to amp up the lovemaking schedule??? :)

Naaxi-Early spotting before AF is due could be a sign of a luteal phase defect or it could be implantation spotting!!! Which would be wonderful. Spotting in early pregnancy is not necessarily a bad thing and doesn't necessarily mean ectopic or problems. I had a bit of spotting off and on in my first trimester. Here's to hoping that the witch stays away!

Ruby-I really hope it happens for you and V this time. I know you must be getting frustrated! Maybe it's time for you to start trying again?

Roxann-Sometimes all of the TTC stuff throws our bodies for a loop, especially if you are not used to having sperm inside of you. I think my cycles changed up a bit when I first started trying too. Sometimes just the stress of it all can affect AF schedules.

Shhhhh we're not going to speak of it for a week or so so as not to scare it away but I got a faint :bfp: a moment ago. :dance:

Naaxi --- Yaayyy!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome news! I will tell my excitement to "shhh" for the next week........ but........ Congrats! :wohoo: Hope that little beanie is super sticky... and you have a happy & healthy 9 months! :happydance:

Erin -- Maybe i should start trying again... but first i need to lose like 75 lbs tho! And i would need to start taking the metformin again to lower my insulin... i no longer get my period every month... sometimes it's a no-show! And i know it's bc i'm at my heaviest weight & my insulin is out of whack. :sad1:

Where's Lizzie been -- I should go stalk her journal! She hasn't been around in awhile!

Naaxi-quietly wishing you congrats so bean doesn't hear me! Yippeee!!!

Ruby-I am heavy too but have always had regular cycles. I gained weight with my two miscarriages in early 2010 (I guess it's just how I handled it combined with the hormones) so I was MUCH heavier than I wanted to be when I got pregnant and now I have gained even more weight (more than I should have) but things seem to be going ok. Being at my heaviest is depressing but I feel very blessed to be pregnant and figure I will work hard on the weight after baby gets here. Maybe if you can get your insulin regulated and get your period coming regularly you should start trying. Don't rule it out just because of your weight :)

Oh Naaxi, that's wonderful! I had spotting on and off for 5 days around the time AF was due this time (I only had it for 2 days the first time). It sounds like perfect implantation bleeding to me. I'll keep everything crossed for you that this is a sticky bean and you're going to be complaining about morning sickness and exhaustion very soon. :)

Ruby, I started taking the metformin months before we wanted to start TTC this time as I was at my heaviest by a long way and knew it would help me lose weight too. It really did. I lost 30lb before I got pregnant. I would have liked it to be more - I was a good bit bigger at the start of this pregnancy than I was first time, and now I'm the heaviest I've ever been - but it was enough for that BFP and this pregnancy has been healthy even if I am a total whale now. :) Why not start taking the met, losing (some of) the weight and getting yourself on the right road. That way when your cycles return you will have another option. :)

Erin, you're in the final leg now too though. It's a strange time. I'm finding it a bit easier now we've actually tipped over 40 weeks for some reason. I'm taking it one day at a time and trying not to get impatient. Keeping busy (at least intellectually - physically that's beyond me now) seems to be the key for me. Today I'm researching heating oil storage tanks and the regulations we need to adhere to when installing a new one. Can you sense my excitement?

Gina. x

I find it so hard when all through the 2 WW I have symptoms and you think 'this is it' its worked, but no! This is really my second try but the first didnt go so well, so this month was my first proper try.

Its very annoying because im having this baby for my best friend, who cannot have children. So ALOT of pressure is on. Im 24, just assumed this would happen straight away. You guys are amazing, so inspirational, only my first month and already fed up!

Congrats Naaxi, sounds very hopeful!!!

Thank you all :D Can you help me remember to breathe for the next few weeks?? LOL!
R0xaNN3, I hope that next month is your time, and that it happens nice and quick for you. Are you and your friend going to coparent?

Thanks girls! You've inspired me to start the metformin again... or at least give it another shot! It's just hard bc it makes me feel so sick to my stomach & makes me poop several times a day! Sorry for TMI -- but the side-effects were rough!!! It's impossible with the job i have to keep having to run to the bathroom! I'm a social worker & i'm often driving from house to house or in my client's houses teaching parenting! But -- I did lose 7lbs the 1st week i was on it! And the fertility doctor told me that right after weight loss you are alot more fertile! :shrug: Not sure why that is... but... sounds good to me!

Basically my situation is...My best friend cant have children, we inserted her OH sperm with a syringe inside me. After a lot of thought, we agreed I would not parent the child, just kind of be the aunt. If my best friend decides later on to tell her child, then I am happy with that. If not, then I can live with it.

Weird that my first time giving birth will be for someone else.:wacko:
My OH works in Dubai so we are not ready for our own yet.

Naaxi...how are you feeling today?

R0xaNN3 - good luck with it all. It's hard every time it doesn't work, but do keep plodding along at it. You'll get there in the end. And I have enormous respect for you doing this as a surrogate, especially as it will be your first time experiencing pregnancy and birth. It's something I looked into but in the end decided I couldn't do, although I do plan to be an egg donor next year. :)

Ruby, the side effects are horrible aren't they? And for me they were worse the second time round too which I hope isn't the same for you. However, they did eventually ease off. The first time it took about 3 months to reach an even keel, and it was more like 6-7 months second time round but my body did adjust eventually and the side effects faded almost completely away. This time I continued to take it to 12 weeks pregnant as well and I didn't start ballooning on the pregnancy weight gain until after this.

Good on you for being proactive about it all though. Yey!

Gina. x

By the way -- We used soft cups this month! OH really liked them -- felt there was alot less leakage. She layed down... legs in the air for 30 - 60 minutes & then inserted the soft cup. I was worried it would go in wrong & then block the sperm from the cervix like a dam..... but if that was the case i think there prob would have been alot of leakage when she stood up... and there wasn't! :happydance: So -- It seems it went in properly!

*waves* I'm here girls! Been MIA cus I met sumone new lol. Yaye for Naaxi and ur bfp! Ruby, I wudnt worry too much about timing, I did it all different times up to ovulation and it still worked, softcups are great too! Good luck!!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->