Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Hello ladies, I was just wondering if any of you knew the absolute longest amount of time you could wait before using a "fresh" sample? I keep finding conflicting answers on the web. :( Obviously I would have to keep it "warm", but approximately how long would it last that way?

I'd say that the sooner the better and that using it within an hour would be best but you could probably get away with up to two hours max. I had IUIs at my RE's office and would drop the sample off at 7am and they would process it and i wouldn't have inseminations until about 9am. When I did at home inseminations I usually used it within an hour.

I'd say that the sooner the better and that using it within an hour would be best but you could probably get away with up to two hours max. I had IUIs at my RE's office and would drop the sample off at 7am and they would process it and i wouldn't have inseminations until about 9am. When I did at home inseminations I usually used it within an hour.

did you use a catheter for the at home inseminations? I'm scared to use it, because I'll be doing it by myself...... :shrug:

Thanks so much for the reply. :hugs:

MommyMoose, The usual guideline is within an hour. You might be able to go longer if you buy a special shipping pack (with test yolk buffer and something to keep it cool I think). Then it can last 24 hours if stored properly.

MommyMoose, The usual guideline is within an hour. You might be able to go longer if you buy a special shipping pack (with test yolk buffer and something to keep it cool I think). Then it can last 24 hours if stored properly.

When my partner did the insemination we used a catheter but just got close to the os, did not go through it. When I inseminated myself I just used a syringe. You can also get a cervical cap with a stem for inseminating yourself. You can find them online.

She's doing great Topaz! Her weight was up to 7lbs 9ozs at her doc appointment on Friday. Her birth weight was 5lbs 5ozs and went down to 5lbs 1oz so she is doing great! How are you feeling?

Any news from Gina anyone (AKA Snagglepat)?

wow thats a fab weight gain.

apart from the fact im currently dying from a cold im fine thanks, see midwife again next week. Lo is growing well but im not gaining any weight which is concerning me a little but midwife said not to worry cos baby will take what it needs and i have slenty of fat to live off. lol.

i ve spent this week going through all callums old cloths and washing them and putting them away ready for josh.

My RE always said get it to his clinic within 20-30 minutes but sometimes it would be hours before we did the IUI. We used the donor's this time within probably 15 minutes.

She's doing great Topaz! Her weight was up to 7lbs 9ozs at her doc appointment on Friday. Her birth weight was 5lbs 5ozs and went down to 5lbs 1oz so she is doing great!

She is so sweet! What a pretty baby! I love her name so much... suits her perfectly! :flow:

Just got home from the dr. They did bloodwork and I am pregnant. I'm so shocked. Nothing seemed to go right this cycle - no cm, timing was off, I was all stressed about other stuff. But oh well! I don't have a "real" appt until 3/29 to confirm everything's growing and all.

Congrats! :happydance: Awesome news!

----------------------------------------------------

Sorry i haven't been around much girls. I've been trying not to fixate so much on things, bc it seems this is not the right time for us to conceive. I feel completely drained of money & PMA! Money is so tight around here as it is...... and spending so much $$ on TTC is stressing me out. I never imagined it would take so long.

The new (seemingly wonderful!) donor we were supposed to meet this month, backed out! After talking daily for a few weeks & exchanging such LONG emails everyday... and after we got the donor agreement notarized at his request... he decided after talking with his lawyer that there are too many legal risks involved. :growlmad:

We are supposed to meet our original donor on Tuesday. Hopefully he doesn't back out last minute like he did last month. :dohh:

OH & i decided this will be our last attempt... for now. If it doesn't happen this month........ i think we'll take a year off........ i will work on losing weight/getting healthy/lowering my insulin level........ and then i will try to conceive in 2012.

i am back - kinda. i left in a cloud of disappointment and self pity a month or two ago after my 3rd IUI failed.

i am doing ivf now. i didn't think i'd have to but here i am. i hope all u ladies are doing well. i will have to try to catch up with this thread and everyone's progress over the next few hours.

hi cranberry! glad you came back to see us. Feel free to post here about your IVF cycle if you want to. Lots of babydust to you!!!

Ruby-it sucks that you are feeling defeated, but I certainly understand why. I hope that you get your BFP this cycle and none of these things will matter, but if not, hang in there. I think your plan to work on things and try next year is a good one (although nobody likes waiting!!). Maybe we can be support buddies for the weight loss, God knows after the weight I packed on with Eden that I need to start seriously working on it!

Hey everyone, seems like ages since I was last on this thread!

I was complaining about my donor not being able to perform, but he's made up for it this month! Had my donation from him this morning and got another one scheduled for Thursday :happydance:

I was just wanting to ask the women who have tried using SoftCups for TTC... is it normal to still have a bit of fluid in the cup when you take it out? I left the cup in for 7 hours and just assumed there'd be nothing in it when I removed it :wacko: I know it was definitely in there right, I've practiced with them a lot before using them for donations...

EpdTTC - just wanted to say your daughter is beautiful!! :hugs: xx

totally normal to have stuff left in. some is the fluid the sperm is in and other is your cm.

Hey everyone, seems like ages since I was last on this thread!

I was complaining about my donor not being able to perform, but he's made up for it this month! Had my donation from him this morning and got another one scheduled for Thursday :happydance:

I was just wanting to ask the women who have tried using SoftCups for TTC... is it normal to still have a bit of fluid in the cup when you take it out? I left the cup in for 7 hours and just assumed there'd be nothing in it when I removed it :wacko: I know it was definitely in there right, I've practiced with them a lot before using them for donations...

EpdTTC - just wanted to say your daughter is beautiful!! :hugs: xx

is the SoftCups like a cervical cap ? it's good to know there will be stuff left in it, that would make me worried too ! any other tid bits you can offer up will be helpful ! I'm WTT in June and will be using an at home kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->