Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

dodgegirl - Yes I'd say a SoftCup is similar to a cervical cap. They both fit over the cervix and are capable of holding the sperm up close to give them the best chances of swimming in the right direction! This was the first time I'd used them, and I have to say I prefer the cups a lot more than using the syringe. When using the needle less syringe I always found it too fiddly, something always leaked out and I always stressed a lot more over the whole process. But using the cup, I literally used some pre-seed beforehand, put the semen in the cup and inserted it. I lay down for about an hour and just completely forgot all about it until the alarm on my phone went off telling me to remove it 7 or 8 hours later!

I am worried now about the length of time it took for the donor to get the donation to me now though, after reading some previous posts about the life span of the spermies. He made the donation at 10:45am and I got it and inserted it at 12:15. Does anybody think that might be too much of a stretch?

dodgegirl - Yes I'd say a SoftCup is similar to a cervical cap. They both fit over the cervix and are capable of holding the sperm up close to give them the best chances of swimming in the right direction! This was the first time I'd used them, and I have to say I prefer the cups a lot more than using the syringe. When using the needle less syringe I always found it too fiddly, something always leaked out and I always stressed a lot more over the whole process. But using the cup, I literally used some pre-seed beforehand, put the semen in the cup and inserted it. I lay down for about an hour and just completely forgot all about it until the alarm on my phone went off telling me to remove it 7 or 8 hours later!

I am worried now about the length of time it took for the donor to get the donation to me now though, after reading some previous posts about the life span of the spermies. He made the donation at 10:45am and I got it and inserted it at 12:15. Does anybody think that might be too much of a stretch?

My dr told me that sperm can live upto 5 days, but it's best to inseminate within 30 min or less? You never know though? Less than 2 hours isn't too long?

Ok so use the cap without the syringe? I was going to use both? Also, what do you mean that you used some "pre-seed" beforehand? Just lubrication or? :shrug:

thanks for your info !

Hey :)

Yeah I've been told that sperm can live for a number of days if they're in the perfect environment (i.e. fertile mucus etc)... but everybody gives different answers on how long they can live in a sterile pot :haha:

Some women insert with the syringe and then put the cap in to keep it all close to the cervix. And some other women just put the donation straight into the cap and put it in. That's what I did this time, it was a load easier for me, but it depends on the person I suppose :)

Pre-seed is a lubricant that's sperm friendly, it helps with TTC. It mimicks the ideal fertile cervical mucus for anyone who either doesn't get it, or doesn't get enough of their own cm. I personally don't seem to get much ewcm anymore so I used some pre-seed to boost it a bit :blush:

xx

Just had my second donation, which will also be my last for this cycle. All went well, within 2 minutes of the donation arriving, I had inserted the SoftCup! And he managed to get it here within an hour this time which is good I think. I've heard about men having to get their samples to a doctor within an hour for analysis so I'm guessing we've done alright this time :happydance: xx

Im back in the game girls! :happydance: !!! My donor has gone AWOL tho, so been loking for another, and now have 3 potentials who Im meeting this week ready to start Aprils cycle!!!! Ohhh Im excited!!!!The doc said I cant still TTC until tests start etc, so may as well, just incase one sticks!!! Good luck anyone testing this week!

I also got a new lily tattoo today, I love it!

https://i55.tinypic.com/aajbzd.jpg

good luck luna, really want that sticky bean for you. hope you manage to find a decent donor.

Just had my second donation, which will also be my last for this cycle. All went well, within 2 minutes of the donation arriving, I had inserted the SoftCup! And he managed to get it here within an hour this time which is good I think. I've heard about men having to get their samples to a doctor within an hour for analysis so I'm guessing we've done alright this time :happydance: xx

Does he drive to your house? Is it possible he can produce the "donation" while at your house?

I think within an hour sounds good, tho! :thumbup:

Good luck! Me & OH are in the TWW too!

Luna -- Love your new tat! OH wants to use the name "Lily" as a middle name if we ever have a baby girl... and she wants a Lily tattoo. She also loves stars, and currently has a tattoo with stars. I will show her the pic of your tat... very nice!

Erin -- I would love a weight loss buddy! Although, i'm having trouble getting started!!!!!!!

I love Lilly, that's my little baby cousin's name :baby:

He lives in the next town to me, but he doesn't drive so he has to get public transport... hence the delay. And we did try him making the donation at my place but he couldn't perform because of the pressure :haha: At least I actually get a donation if he does it at his place :haha: I wish I could get to him and do the insem there, but because of work it's practically impossible :wacko:

Good luck to everyone else TTC :hugs: xx

How are those in the TWW feeling???

Luna -- So glad you will be back in the game in April!!

Hey ladies, nearing the end of our 2ww - but I'm not hopeful in the slightest that its worked this month :(

Haven't felt much in the way of symptoms and tested today with an IC which showed a BFN, so I guess we're definitely out this month - I feel really down about it and have been really quiet with my GF through no fault of her own, I just really want this to work, to give her/us something we really want...

I don't want to give up trying at all... but you know...I didn't realise how disheartening it would be to see those BFN's

*sigh*

Hey ladies, nearing the end of our 2ww - but I'm not hopeful in the slightest that its worked this month :(

Haven't felt much in the way of symptoms and tested today with an IC which showed a BFN, so I guess we're definitely out this month - I feel really down about it and have been really quiet with my GF through no fault of her own, I just really want this to work, to give her/us something we really want...

I don't want to give up trying at all... but you know...I didn't realise how disheartening it would be to see those BFN's

*sigh*

:hugs: I know how hard it is. I truly believe TTC is one of the hardest, most heart-breaking experiences there is! Most things in life, if you truly want it... you can work hard or save your money and get it. But conceiving a baby is completely out of our hands. If *wanting* alone could bring a baby into our lives, we all would have pretty little bundles! It's truly a lesson in patience & faith!

Your not out yet! :hug: Try to stay hopeful & positive! It will happen for us. We need to believe! :flower:

I am currently using instead caps to concieve is there anyone who concieved using them i am ttc number 1 and i am hoping to get preg soon!!!

Babeforever14 - I've started using Instead Cups this cycle... at 3dpo now and waiting to see if it's worked! :happydance: xx

I used them one of my times I got pregnant, cant remember which time tho! Think I'll use them in Aprils cycle too, I find them uncomfortable tho!

Thank you for those kind and positive words Ruby - AF is due anytime now so we'll see, if not we just keep trying until we see that BFP. I figure the witch is on her way I've had a solid uterus area ache and continual backache, which is unlike me but can only attribute it to the witch - good luck to those on your 2WW xxxx

Hi... they have seem to fit comfortably i leave them in for about 8 hrs then remove take a warm bath then reenter another one!! i want to be have christmas baby

TTC sept let me know how it works with u...
as u know this is my first month ttc fingers crossed!! :)

You probably won't need to put another one in after the initial 8 hours, any sperm that was gona go up into the cervix would be well up by then! How many inseminations did you do this month?

Ruby, cant believe ur niece is almost 1 already! :O

Ruby, cant believe ur niece is almost 1 already! :O

I know! Crazy how time flies! Her birthday is two weeks away! She is doing awesome... just started crawling! Still so tiny -- Only 14 lbs!

Attachments

• gianna10mos.jpg
    gianna10mos.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g