Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Sorry TTC! The sperm from the sperm banks is frozen through a special process, cryogenically, not frozen like putting it in the freezer. So since it is already "frozen" when it arrives, it is shipped with dry ice to keep it from thawing out before you're ready to use it. Fresh sperm is different. You have to keep it close to body temperature. Keeping it cold will slow down, and eventually kill the little swimmers.

The whole thing about wearing boxers is about not keeping things too restricted and also not too hot, but still keeping them close to regular body temperature which is 98.6 degrees. I'm sorry if this info upsets you, that's not my intent, I'd just hate to not day anything and have you do this again next time. But maybe you're okay, did he actually put the sperm o ice or in a cooler or did he just carry it in something to keep it from getting too hot in the sun?
Best of luck to you hun, please keep us posted!
Erin

Congrats Mechanica & Cranberry!!!!!!!!! :wohoo: :wohoo: So happy to hear your news!

We currently have no donor. Just joined yahoo groups, but so far no luck with that. The guys primarily on there are looking for NI. Not all of them... but a good percentage of the ones who live near us (within a tri-state distance!).

I never thought it would be this hard! When we 1st decided to "have a baby" so long ago.... i just assumed we would "have a baby!" :dohh: Boy was i wrong!!!!!!!! :nope:

TTC Sept 2010 -- I have heard/read about keeping the cup of sperm between your thighs while in transit, also... to keep it at body temperature. Good luck tho -- You never know! Anything is possible! :hugs:

EpdTTC - I know you're only trying to help so no harm done :hugs:

He didn't actually freeze the sperm, he put it in a cooler type thing in a bag until he got to my house. It definitely wasn't frozen when I got my hands on it but the pot was cold. The whole reason we did it was because we'd both heard that sperm getting over heated is really bad, and with the recent weather we've been having (I just had to come home from a trip out because being in the sun was making me feel funny!) we didn't want to risk it. Especially when it would be kept close to him in his pocket too. Last month, when it was nowhere near this hot, the container was very warm to touch and it worried me then.

xx

EpdTTC - I know you're only trying to help so no harm done :hugs:

He didn't actually freeze the sperm, he put it in a cooler type thing in a bag until he got to my house. It definitely wasn't frozen when I got my hands on it but the pot was cold. The whole reason we did it was because we'd both heard that sperm getting over heated is really bad, and with the recent weather we've been having (I just had to come home from a trip out because being in the sun was making me feel funny!) we didn't want to risk it. Especially when it would be kept close to him in his pocket too. Last month, when it was nowhere near this hot, the container was very warm to touch and it worried me then.

xx

Just saw your post and was curious as to how far th travel distance was? You see, my donor is from another state, so we looked into shipping the sperm to me. I found a kit online that contains a cooler, and the ice baggies and everything you would need to transport sperm safely. Maybe that could work? Sorry to butt in, just trying to help. :hugs:

TTCSept- I know that when sperm heat up they get damaged and die off, so i understand that you were trying to keep it cool. I have read about something to do with this (typically, i can't remember the exact facts). Something about it being cooled very fast but then brought back up to body temperature before inseminating. Did you do that?

I also know time can damage sperm, but i know someone who got pregnant with 40 minute old sperm so it can happen.

Will you inseminate again this cycle?

Ruby, i found my donor on a yahoo site. Have you joined any other sperm donor sites? Wishing you lots of luck on your search for someone new!

Dollface - He lives local to me, but the fact that neither of us drive means he has to use public transport, which is about 50-60 minutes. He can't do the donation here because of his "stage fright" as we call it :haha: I think I posted about it on this thread a couple of months ago. I lost out on a whole cycle because he couldn't finish! He only feels able to do it in his own space, which is a grotty shared house, hence me not going anywhere near it for an insem! Bless him, you have to feel for the guy, he's so shy it's unreal.

I did have sperm shipped to me on one occasion and it was surrounded in ice packs and the sample was mixed with TYB (test yolk buffer). It wasn't frozen though. I've heard a lot of success stories using that method, but I only used it that one time so I can't really comment much. Good luck with your speedy BFP!! :hugs:

Mechanica - Still excited for you!! :hugs: Sadly we likely won't be able to get another insem done this cycle because of him travelling North to visit family and me travelling South for my birthday plans :haha: By the time we both get back home ovulation should've long passed. Talk about awkward timing eh?! I don't think I gave the sperm a chance to get right back up to body temp, but in hindsight I do remember holding it in the Instead Cup between my legs for a couple of minutes whilst I had to mess about with something...

Ruby - Good luck with finding a donor! Have you asked any people you know personally, like friends for instance? The guy I'm using now is more of a mate than a donor if that makes sense and it's working out great for us.

xx

thanks ruby! you've been a pillar of strength and support on this thread.

i'm sorry you are having problems with donors. i like ttcsept2010's idea. that is what i did too. of course he was 3rd on my list and i hadn't even considered him until a friend suggested it. so maybe ask around your circle of friends. there may still be a friend out there who would consider it.

good luck!
Congrats Mechanica & Cranberry!!!!!!!!! :wohoo: :wohoo: So happy to hear your news!

We currently have no donor. Just joined yahoo groups, but so far no luck with that. The guys primarily on there are looking for NI. Not all of them... but a good percentage of the ones who live near us (within a tri-state distance!).

I never thought it would be this hard! When we 1st decided to "have a baby" so long ago.... i just assumed we would "have a baby!" :dohh: Boy was i wrong!!!!!!!! :nope:

TTC Sept 2010 -- I have heard/read about keeping the cup of sperm between your thighs while in transit, also... to keep it at body temperature. Good luck tho -- You never know! Anything is possible! :hugs:

thanks ruby! you've been a pillar of strength and support on this thread.

i'm sorry you are having problems with donors. i like ttcsept2010's idea. that is what i did too. of course he was 3rd on my list and i hadn't even considered him until a friend suggested it. so maybe ask around your circle of friends. there may still be a friend out there who would consider it.

good luck!

I agree, Ruby is awesome in this thread ! I love positive supportive people ! :) :hugs:

Thank you cranberry for your kind words. It means alot. This thread has helped me so much, as well! I am so happy to have all of you guys to go thru this journey with. If it wasn't for advice i got on here, i never would have even started the process of finding a donor. And using frozen sperm certainly wasn't working! Plus, we used up all the money we had for that anyhow! I also believe i would have given up by now, if it wasn't for all the wonderful success stories i see on here! And the birth of new babies!!!!!!!! :happydance:

We just started talking w a donor from the yahoo site. Fingers crossed he doesn't get cold feet at the last minute like the last guy did. We have talked about possibly meeting a week from today! I really hope it works out!

Our last donor was from FSDW -- but that cost $40 a month -- or something like that. And most of the guys lived far away, and the closer ones weren't active on there.

I did ask a few acquaintances... two never even responded to my request... completely ignored my emails! And the 3rd guy, said he would let me know if he thinks of anyone... and i never heard from him again! :nope:

Thank you cranberry for your kind words. It means alot. This thread has helped me so much, as well! I am so happy to have all of you guys to go thru this journey with. If it wasn't for advice i got on here, i never would have even started the process of finding a donor. And using frozen sperm certainly wasn't working! Plus, we used up all the money we had for that anyhow! I also believe i would have given up by now, if it wasn't for all the wonderful success stories i see on here! And the birth of new babies!!!!!!!! :happydance:

We just started talking w a donor from the yahoo site. Fingers crossed he doesn't get cold feet at the last minute like the last guy did. We have talked about possibly meeting a week from today! I really hope it works out!

Our last donor was from FSDW -- but that cost $40 a month -- or something like that. And most of the guys lived far away, and the closer ones weren't active on there.

I did ask a few acquaintances... two never even responded to my request... completely ignored my emails! And the 3rd guy, said he would let me know if he thinks of anyone... and i never heard from him again! :nope:

how frustrating.....hang in there ! we are here for you !! :friends:

I agree... Ruby has been a constant support to everyone on this thread. I know I've not been on here very long compared to some of you but it's easily picked up :hugs:

Ok, so I'm 1dpo if I'm going by my EWCM or 2dpo if I'm going by my temps. Either way the donation was timed quite well considering I only had one instead of two and how weird this cycle has been. I've decided not to get too into the whole symptom spotting obsession this time and it helps that I've got lots of birthday plans this week to keep me distracted! :happydance:

Baby dust to everyone :thumbup: xx

hey ladies..i haven't posted while i've been in the 2ww cuz i didn't want to talk about my symptoms or lack thereof LOL...anyhoo AF isn't supposed to arrive till wed or thurs but she's already playing peekaboo...i've spotted the last couple of days and had bad cramps...sucks because our donor is off the market now and we have to get a new one...and we want shippers as my hubby doesn't feel comfy meeting up with anyone yet..
we have another one in mind for shipping this month but i'm not just in love with his features and wondering if it really matters at this point? lol

will keep yall updated:)

i honestly wouldnt worry too much about features cos you never know what baby will get.

i specifically said i wanted a drk haired donor so my kids would have dark hair like me. well callum is ginger/blond godknows where it came from. lol

also neither me or my donor are perticularly attractive but everyone says how handsome he is.

TTCSept, just wanted to say, don't stress about the cold sperm. I've heard stories that back in the day, military wives used to freeze their partner's sperm in the freezer in ice cube trays and urban myth says it can work. Might not be my first choice of method, but its possible. Also, the travel packs cool the sperm for transport too.

Maybe next time (if necessary) you can go get the sample and insemin in your car using an instead cup or something.

Thank you Nimyra! :hugs:

Some donors really are a pain lol... before I started this arrangement with my friend I was constantly up and down finding suitable potentials. I'd find a perfect match then he'd either not reply or let me down just before I was due to ovulate. The only respectable one I found who fitted what I wanted retired after 5 conceptions, but to be fair to him he had warned me of that possibility when I first met up with him so I didn't mind so much.

You'll get there Luna! :hugs: xx

Good Morning Ladies,

ANY help is appreciated!!!

Hello! Sorry we all missed your post. Welcome to the thread and good luck. a small syringe is fine, but you want to make sure the sperm makes contact with your cervix. Two ways to do this:
1) add a short catheter (tube) to the end of the syringe and use a speculum to make sure the sperm is getting where it needs to go.
2) skip the catheter and just put the sperm into an instead cup and carefully insert it, making sure that the sperm makes contact with your cervix.

It may be worth adding another method of tracking ovulation to make sure you have your timing right. I recommend tracking your basal body temperature.

Also, if your cervical mucus is too thick, grapefruit juice or guafesin can help. If you don't have enough cervical mucus, adding preseed or egg whites may help. Just 1-3 ml is plenty!

good luck!

Thank you so much! I needed this input. We have been trying and trying and I am the more patient and hopeful one so I am trying to gather as much information to keep my wife's spirits up. This will help so that as 'she is getting me pregnant,' she will feel like she is doing something that will increase chances.

I got the therm over 2 weeks ago and the instead cups after reading your post so we are hopeful. We TTC again soon.

Good Morning
ANY help is appreciated!!!

Hello, i used instead cups a couple of times (i didn't get pregnant during those months) and i always used a 10ml syringe (even though the sampes were only a couple of mm, the 10ml syringe is longer so gets closer to the cervix). Also, when i inseminated, i left the syringe in for 30 minutes to sort of 'plug' the hole so the semen didn't seep out. I don't know if that helped or not!

Other than that, just normal generic information. Relax, bum on pillows. Draw the sperm up very slowly, insert and press the plunger slowly too. Stay there for about 30 minutes. Sometimes this is when i would insert an instead cup (so the sperm wouldn't 'fall out') and then i would go to bed (i always inseminated at night).

I only ever used the cheap ovulation sticks from ebay, nothing fancy and that was sufficient for me.

Good luck!!!

I will try the different time of day. When we were going to the clinic, it was always very early in the morning. We tried at home around 5pm, time can possibly make a difference that we are ready to try. We ARE going to TRY every "hint" or method possible.

Getting closer to the cervix will probably be the main thing that we try. We are also going to try the Instead cups this time around. Thanks so much for your experience/help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->