Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Hi ladies. Just been reading through all the posts on here, congrats to all the bfp's!! I need your advice. we will be using donor sperm and i was wondering what the chances of getting a bfp with syringe and instead cups is?

Using a syringe has more or less the same chance of working as doing it the 'natural' way, so about 25%!

Gals, I know I haven't been around much and kind of pop in and out of this thread, but just an update. DH and I have been inseminating with his sperm. I got a BFP this week, inseminating worked! Keep the faith everyone and baby dust to all!

Congratulations, how long did it take? Me and my dh are going to be inseminating with his sperm to.

congrats ohai. got my results ruby bloods came bak all ok so jst gota have my ultrasound b4 discussin everyfin with my doc + hopefully get a referral 2 a fs.
x

Hi everyone :)

RubyRainbows directed me to the group, will have a read through and catch up with everyone stories when I have a bit of time :)

I'm Beci, in a lesbian relationship, my partner Colleen is trying to conceive with donor sperm at the moment (we are currently on the 2WW).

I have 2 children from a previous relationship, this will be Colleen's first.

We are using a known donor that we found online.

The laws in the UK are very different and you cannot buy sperm from a bank, it's either inseminate at a clinic which is expensive or find a known donor and inseminate with fresh sperm.

We are very lucky that the guy we are using is happy to travel to us and donate (cannot be shipped in the UK as shipping times are too long),

Fingers crossed we all have that BFP soon!

Hi TwoMummies :wave: Glad you found this thread! So many wonderful ladies here... and so many success stories! You will find as you catch up on the thread... that we have several little babies in our "group" who have been concieved along the way, since way back when this thread 1st got started & are now here in their mommies arms! :wohoo: It's definitely motivation to keep trying!

I will respond more tomorrow to your private message. My eyes are going squirrely tonight! I'm having a cry-my-eyes-out pity party kind of night...... and i just spent the last several hours researching online (re: my son). So exhausted now!!!!!!

We haven't tested yet!!!!!!! I'm dying to, tho! :test:

Trying to wait... so sick of wasting $$ on tests... getting depressed over BFNs... and then AF arrives soon after! Our goal is to wait until AF is a few days late before buying tests. It's not easy tho!!!!!

Good Luck Ruby! I'm impressed by your will power to wait to test, don't think I could wait that long.

Any advice on finding semen to use in an at home insemination? Preferably from a clinic that will ship to my house.

Tatertot, you can call just about any sperm bank in the U.S. Most will need a note from a doctor (OBGYN okay) saying that they know you are doing at-home insemination and you have discussed the how-to with them. It shouldn't be too big of deal to get a dr's note and then buy sperm to have shipped to you frozen. -- If you go this route, make sure you buy sperm that is prepped for ICI (intracervical injection) NOT IUI. IUI sperm is for intrauterine insemination at a clinic.

Many of us have opted to look for known donors (not through a clinic or sperm bank) and get fresh sperm. This is more dangerous, because you can catch diseases using fresh sperm (the sperm at a bank is frozen for 6 months to make sure the donor didn't have any communicable diseases), however, fresh sperm is more effective (25% vs. 3-6% and it's free). Finding a known donor can be more difficult - some people have asked friends, others have found them online using various websites.

A quick "hi and how are you?" to all the lovely ladies here and I just have to say how much I love this thread! :flower:

While I am still in my TWW, I feel out this month. My DH and I are thinking of going this route with his sperm due to occasional ED problems. I know I want to use the syringe method if we try this (as opposed to him doing it in a softcup and inserting in me) it just seems like a surer way.

I see that a few ladies used a "sterile syringe". My question is, does the syringe need to be sterile? And if so, how do I maintain sterility up to the point where I "inject" myself? Seems like a lot of trouble but if it's important to sperm survival, I'll do it! I need advice from ladies who are experienced!!! Help please! :wacko:

I just washed my syringe in dishwashing soap. I think running it through the dishwasher is fine too.

Things being sterile is only really an issue if you are inserting something THROUGH your cervix into your uterus. Your vagina is not sterile. Whatever you usually have sex with is not sterile. Keep things as clean as you can, but don't worry about it.

hi ruby
yeh me + my partner have been trying at home with a donor on and off over the last 3 years with no joy. so am nw gettin myself checked out wit my dr.
thanks for askin hope ur ok
x

I hope this news you receive from the doc is positive and it just is that you all need to do more methods of knowing you body, OV, etc...

WOW!!! More ladies joining, this is GREAT!!! :dust:Welcome :happydance:

FAITHBABIES - You are a few days away, GL!!!

RUBYRAIN - I sooooo hope this is it, your BFP:bfp:, how hard the wait is, but the constant BFN are hell on the nerves...:dust:

OHAIMOMMY - GL on that :bfp::dust:

SARAH020 & MERCEDES - We used a syringe in the beginning, but because the fresh sperm is better we began to use directly into the INSTEAD SOFTCUPS. Less messy as well. Not to mention, it is hard to get all into the syringe, however, I know plenty that have used them. What we ended up doing was purchasing a few and not using them until insemination time. Capturing the "donation" in a sterile up prior to getting it into a syringe is also important.

TWOMUMMIES - WELCOME!! Thanks to RUBY for bringing you over. I wrote on numerous threads mentioning this one to Lesbians and basically sending a call out to same-sex couples so that we could mingle in one place (while still lingering in others) it is something about speaking with others going through and doing the same thing you know. I so hope you get that :bfp: do keep us posted!

TATERTOT - I agree, most you can just call them up or even look at their website and with a doc note they will ship to your home. They even post prices with shipping to home. If I recall, there is one in PA, NY, and VA that are near you to name a few.

Again, welcome to all the new ladies, I am happy, and I know many others here are happy to see you here. There is sooo much information that proves helpful, not to mention supportive ladies here and on BnB!

i just washed my syringe too.

welcome to the new ladies, good luck.

think we are due another bfp sometime soon.

ruby - im impressed with your will power, i couldnt stop myself testing at 10dpo.

thanks mrsmm24. my initial bloods came back fine hav got an ultrasound nxt week when those results come back my dr should be referring me to a fs locally to explore my options e.g. more testing, medication etc as we know the issue is with me not our donor as he had success in the time he has been helping us with our couples but he is more than willing to have any tests done if required.
congrats 2 all the recent bfps ladies + baby dust 2 all those in the 2ww
xx

Thanks for the replies, ladies! :hugs:

I'm so excited abut next month...hope we get our BFP!!!!

Hi ladies. Just been reading through all the posts on here, congrats to all the bfp's!! I need your advice. we will be using donor sperm and i was wondering what the chances of getting a bfp with syringe and instead cups is?

Not sure what the chances are percent wise .. but we surely were blown away when I got a BFP in the second month of trying :)

We got those cheap ovulation & pregnancy strips from e bay. It costs hardly anything. The second month of trying, we had "our man" come the day before ovulation, the day after and 2 days after ovulation ... which resulted in a BFP.

We used a syringe (just rinsed it out) and instead cups.

In meanwhile we had 2 blood tests done and the HCG is doubling as it should. Will have a first ultrasound later this month.

It is still so early (6w4d) but really hope this little one decides to stick around!

GL GEMINI, the news is good for your TTC journey.

SUMMERROCKS - Nice to see you lurking around in here again. I see we have the same notion, INSTEAD CUPS! They were awesome. I wrote about them in my Preg Journal, I swear by them. I really hope your stick bean continues to STICK! You are right behind me, as I just hit week 8 today!!

Congrats to all :bfp: gives me hope that this can work.

I've been a bit quiet because me and 2 friends went to London at the weekend for a birthday trip, had a fantastic time but I think I'm still recovering.

I'm on CD11 today, in regular contact with my donor and we've decided I'll text him when I get a positive ovulation stick; he's keeping the weekend and monday free(ish) because saturday will be day 14 for me but of course, I'm not always regular.

I've everything I need, ordered softcups last night so hopefully they'll be here for this month's try. I've been taking EPO since CD1 and I bought some grapefruit juice today.

In the time I've been waiting I've been able to talk about my decision with my mum who's told my dad and my brother and all the family are being really supportive which does help, for me at least.

So yeah, that's me for now, will hopefully pop back in a few days time to update on insem :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->