Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Hi bart, I think sparklie is right. Also, I tried looking at sperm using a pocket microscope, it's quite powerful at 1000 magnification and after an hour, there are still heaps of swimmers on any random sample I take. I don't know about their fertilising capabilities but just based on their forward motility, they all look fine.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten pregnant yet with AI but that is because of this huge uterine polyp that prevents implantation and causes early miscarriages. :cry: Well, I can't wait till the holidays are officially over and I can just have my surgery.

Cheryl, GL on the 17th! I heard your donor is quite reliable from the girls' stories.

MM, glad your trying again. One thing I'm sure of is that 2012 is gonna be your year!

Faith, no symptoms is a good sign! :thumbup:

Welcome Christie :hi: good luck with finding a donor

This thread is quite helpful, all the ladies who have been successful with AI have posted how they did it - hope it helps some :thumbup:

https://www.babyandbump.com/assiste...-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html

AFM, CD1 woohoo!! Got a good donor lined up, I'm having to travel quite a way to him and stay in a hotel for the night for 2 donations but it'll be worth it for that BFP! 2 of the ladies on here have met him so I know he's reliable. Travelling up on the 17th, can't wait to get started again!!

Thanks! That link is very helpful. I was wondering how single women handled the whole donation getting process. I think I may stick to a hotel for at least the first time (I hope it works first attempt and I don't have to try again). Now I know it's not too far fetched to ask the donor to meet me at a hotel.

Welcome Christie :hi: good luck with finding a donor

This thread is quite helpful, all the ladies who have been successful with AI have posted how they did it - hope it helps some :thumbup:

https://www.babyandbump.com/assiste...-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html

AFM, CD1 woohoo!! Got a good donor lined up, I'm having to travel quite a way to him and stay in a hotel for the night for 2 donations but it'll be worth it for that BFP! 2 of the ladies on here have met him so I know he's reliable. Travelling up on the 17th, can't wait to get started again!!

Good luck, fingers and toes are crossed for you xx

Hi Christie, welcome to the thread, my advice is to ask on as many donation sites as you can.

One of the deffo's is ask for proof of sti checks, don't just take their word for it and if you want ai only then don't believe any donor that says ni is better, it's down to personal choice and both have the same success rate. If you want to go ni then there's nothing wrong with that and again don't get talked into ai if you don't want it. It's your choice hun and don't let anyone tell you your choice is wrong.

If you decided ai is the way then you will need a sample put from the chemists and an oral syringe, I think some women use a catheter but it's not for me so can't give any advice on it.

Good luck, I hope you find a donor very soon xx

For the first 3 cycles I tried, the donor came to my house and donated in the bedroom which I was fine with and they were - it's whatever you feel comfortable with, how far the donor is travelling, whether you want 1 or 2 donations. If you're more comfortable with a hotel then go for that option :thumbup:

Thanks for all your help so far ladies. It really helps knowing I'm not the only one attempting to get pregnant this way.

I have another question. What type of sample collecting cup or whatever did you provide to the donor? Was it sterile?

Thanks again!

:dust:

There are 2 types I've used, one is a slim longish sample pot available from any chemist and the one I like best is a smaller wider one from Boots. Just ask at the pharmacy counter for a sample pot and you'll get the right one. As for the syringe I've only been able to buy a 5ml one from the chemist and if this month didn't work I'll try and buy a longer one from ebay.

welcome Christie! :hi: glad you joined us and best of luck on your journey! feel free to ask any and all questions, nothing is TMI here! as for the collection cup, it doesnt have to be sterile since sperm doesnt come from a sterile environment anyway but it does have to be super clean and not a drop of water in it as water kills sperm. I used shipping donors for my first 6 tries but only getting one donation a month wasnt working and my timing just seemed to be off..we've now switched to a local donor he is a friend of mine and super sweet...will be referred to as uncle and lives like 5 minutes down the road lol anyway i still ask lots of questions so no worries! :)

thank you Lian! when is your surgery? i hope it goes well and you get that bfp in no time!! :dust:

c30~woohoo! glad you are back in the race to catch the eggy...fingers crossed donations go well and that this is YOUR cycle!! :dust:

afm: today is 6dpo and yesterday i had pink on tp twice after bm's and about 4 more times in the late evening, just when i wiped... sorry for the tmi..i've had it before after bm's the week before af shows but never that much after teetee when i wipe so i dunno if it couldve been IB or aunt flo being a witch and telling me she is still coming next weekend lol :shrug: fingers crossed! oh and no symptoms so far today :)

:wave: CHRISTINE, welcome, as FAITH said there really is no TMI level here! Spill it! GL FXD! We all try different things in this thread I think, and as mentioned, whichever is most comfy is the one you should go with. GL FXD!:dust:

FAITH, hang in there no :af: = a good sign!:dust:

LOLA, I looove your predictions! :haha: I really hope I get a BFP here soon! I hope also that you can get your surgery soon so you can TTC properly Hun!:dust:

AFM... Nothing much happening, awaiting AF so I can get this month in full swing.:dust:

Ladies i have a dilemma,
I have a current donor but due to our work schedule it's hard to meet at the right time, like i got a donation at cd 9 but not sure will be able to get another one. Well i know craigslist isn't reliable but i have found one that lives about 2 hrs away and he said he would do the drive if i didn't want to, he even exchange pics and has had 17 successful pregnancies. All based what he said, he said he's helped several couples from single to couples and lesbians, asked him how he gives the sample and of course he said he did NI or was assisted, but he said he will do whatever makes me comfortable, that will be my next question as far as just collecting in a cup. Although i am desperate and have considered NI i know i would have to be comfortable with the donor to be able to do it. dh and i have split up but i still want a baby so i am willing to do anything but is that to much?

Oh hun I really think you need to think about it carefully, we do have one lady on here who has donation by ni but she talked to him for months before donation and felt completely comfortable with him. If you're 100% sure you want to do ni then go for it but if you have any doubt at all then don't do it, continue to look for the right donor for you, don't feel pressurised into doing anything you don't want to do, I know you're desperate to have a baby but I really think you need to think carefully about this xx

I agree with SPARKLIE, and you can talk to TICKING further as like mentioned, she spoke with the donor for quite some time. GL FXD! :dust:

I tried both AI and NI with one donor, I wasn't opposed to it as long as I was comfortable with the donor and I wouldn't be opposed to it again. It's a personal decision and like you say, you need to be comfortable with the donor. If you aren't and he isn't willing to do AI maybe you need to leave it, although I know how hard that is. Don't know how much help I've been but thought I'd give my experience. Good luck :hugs:

I have been doing ni with current donor but like i said he's a friend, the one i met sounds honest but i'm so gullible that i believe anything anyone tells me. I will probably suggest in a cup and go from there, if he's not up to the do it alone in a cup then idk if i would. But he's willing to travel and come to my place/or hotel, which right now as i'm trying to get used to being alone is hard and dh still coming around to try work things out but i don't trust him no more. But i'm glad i'm not the only one doing NI, mentioned it once and i was bashed as no dont do it type thing. I'm turning 31 next week and i thought i would already have 3 kids by now, ive put my life on hold for dh for to long and i'm not waiting any longer. I just wish it wasn't so hard. ttc for 11 months and not even a false positive and no actual health issues makes things even harder.

hi ladies
sorry for being MIA for a while nerves 4 nxt week are getting to me. welcome to all the nu ladies

bit a daft qu 4 every1 bt i used to use OPKS but as my cycles ran like clockwork + my ov day was always the same i stopped using them my cycles r out of whack at the mo so am going to start using them again but cant remember what day to start testing my av cycle is 26 days but my last one was 32

:dust: to all
x

Whew... it's been a while. Let me catch up.

Christie- Welcome!! The site C.30 posted is very helpful. I need to add my info to it... someday. I did several samples in just little dixie cups... the one that worked (on my O day) was in a sterile collection container that I just nabbed from work (I'm an RN). I don't think it made a difference, though. I def like the longer 10 ml syringes better, I would say.

C.30- Awesome!!! GL with this cycle! :dust:

Faith- FX'd that's IB for you! Seems like the right timing. :dust:

momwannabe- Don't feel pressured! I know you feel desperate right now, but the right donor will come up. If you're at all uncomfortable with ni or assisting, don't do it. See if this one will do it YOUR WAY, and if he gives you any trouble at all, don't hesitate to find someone else. :hugs: GL!

Gemini- GOOD LUCK!!!!! For a 26 day cycle start using on CD9. Def go by a 26 day cycle you don't want to start too late and miss it.

AFM... All my symptoms have disappeared... except I'm ravenously hungry, my bbs are huge (but that might be in my head!) and I have pregnancy brain lol. Pretty sure that last one is def in my head. But it's nice to have an excuse. I told O & R on Tuesday night as planned.... it was awesome. R freaked, O was in shock. I tried to get it on video but messed it up because we were trying to be sneaky... totally lined up the camera wrong and nobody is in the picture. :( At least I still have the audio!

Hey girls..not much to report here! Growth scan yesterday and Noah was 5lb, I go back in 2 weeks for my induction date! My fundal height is only measuring 31 wen it shud be 36. Cant wait to meet him..he'll definately be here in Jan!

LUNA, so good to hear NOAH is doing well and ready to appear shortly! I can't wait to meet this little miracle.

MOMWANNA, I am glad that you feel comfy here, no one should bash anyone for their decisions here on BnB. Well, I think all the thought you are putting into this is a good step. Continue to get to know him and research, GL Take care:dust:

CHERYL, Hey Hun, How are things?

PURPLEPANDA, glad to hear things are moving along smoothly.

GEMINI, welcome back, we will always be here. I hope your appt goes well!

AFM... Nothing much happening, awaiting AF so I can get this month in full swing. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I am using this weekend to recover from the holidays:dust:

CHERYL, Hey Hun, How are things?

Things are good thank you. Feeling a bit "blah" today due to AF but having donations on 17th and 18th and I'm counting the days at the mo :thumbup:

Hi ladies, a question for you all, has anyone got a bfp from inseminating standing up? I've been finding that when insem'ing laying on my back a lot of it runs down my bum so this cycle I tried it standing up and slowly inseminating. Do you think it will still work?

Pretty sure theres no reason it wouldn't Sparklie...its not like you can't get pg from having sex standing up :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->