Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Finally approaching ovulation...approximately 7 days give or take. Still have a huge donor dilemma though :(

Whats the dilema about the donors hun??

It's long and overly complicated but the jist of it is that actually have 3 to choose from:

P - 300 mile round trip, £70 fuel costs, 2 donations on O-3 and O-2 but he will take an uncle type role.

M - will come to my house, £30 fuel costs, 1 donation on Ov day, willing to be known but not involved.

T - will stay at local hotel, £0 costs as he covers everything, 2 donations on Ov and Ov+1, willing to be known from a distance.

Bearing in mind its the week before payday the first option is almost impossible. Alternatively I could meet P somewhere half way at a service station, but that seems a bit grim to me.

Hi Ladies,

I am new to this site. I have lurked on the site in the past but finally registered. Here is a brief "about" me. I am so excited to find this site, b/c I haven't shared that I am TTC with basically anyone.
I am single. 38. Want a relationship- but not just to "have a baby". I want a baby more. I have history of endometriosis. Last surg was 10 years ago, at that time, tubes etc. were open. Had prelim lab work a couple months ago- day 3 labs. FSH was 6 (6 point something). LH and Estradiol were good. AMC I dont know the # but nurse said "just fine".
I have a wonderful friend who has agreed to donate sperm and I am doing "at home insemination". I have done 2 so far, both did not work.
I have a ton of questions but the one I have most on my mind being today is CD 15 and I am going to inseminate tonight- is this. How do you all transport the sperm- if you do it at home that is? The way we were is- he would collect the specimen in a baby bottle, I would drive it home keeping it really warm, pour in a little collection cup, draw it up into a 10ml needeless syringe and inseminate- then lay in bed with my hips raised for 20 minutes or so.
But- I read that if the sperm has to much room to splash around it can harm them... So- we thought this time we would buy non lubricated condom, and then cut a teeny hole in the bottom so it would go into the collection cup and I would draw it up then. Any ideas? Advice? On this- or just DIY insemination in general!

In advance- THANK YOU. I look forward to getting to know all of you on this journey.
Ann

Welcome to the site!! I usually got my donation in a small sterile pot with a lid..how long is it between the donation and the time u inseminate? I never waited longer than 10 minutes each time as they die quickly! Theres a 'how to' thread somewhere..will go hunt it out for u now!!

Here u go!

https://www.babyandbump.com/assisted-conception/458990-home-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html

ANN Welcome! I am sure that you will get all types of info here, and we will be here to help talk you through just about every situation you could imagine.

DAY DREAMING welllll....I don't likw counting people's money but here is how I would rate the donors given the info that you gave: T, M, P. Now, I would also look into doubling??? Not sure if that is feasible for you, but I am just throwing ideas out there, Maybe get donations and schedule T and M..... something to think about:dust:

DODGE this sounds like good stuff, kicking off soon for you then! :dust:

TICKING awesome scan, awww....

CHRISTIE you sound like you are going to be making a decision soon, I hope that it isn't made for you and the donors get back to you soon. :dust:

AFM... Nothing much happening, awaiting AF... STILL. I did schedule an appt, ironically it is the week on Feb that I would have been due and the week that OV is suspected if I would have stayed on schedule.... Hope that our angel looks down and gives us some :dust: and hopeful news then. Until then, I continue to wait and will still go to the appt if AF comes before then as I have to know why I am skipping a month (and I hope it is just a month). Shipping donors have contacted me so IUI and shipping ready when my body is.... Frustrating....

Girls I need to post my full scan pic cos my friend pointed out the shape of a baby, looks ghostly!!!!

Hello everyone - i wanted to ask - when is the best time to inseminate?
I think i'm doing it wrong every month - does it have to be when you ovulate? Can you get pregnant if not ovulating?

I been trying for around 7 months and no success at all and i think i'm doing the timing all wrong.
Can someone please advise = good luck to all.x

Well, I decided to go for it last night. Despite not having luck with reading the non digital opk. Do you guys have alot of leakage? Makes me wonder if "any" made it in. so the 2ww begins. This is my 3rd home insem.... I have been obsessed with google searching tips to help fertilization, implantation. Arrgghh.

Ann

Well, I decided to go for it last night. Despite not having luck with reading the non digital opk. Do you guys have alot of leakage? Makes me wonder if "any" made it in. so the 2ww begins. This is my 3rd home insem.... I have been obsessed with google searching tips to help fertilization, implantation. Arrgghh.

Ann

lots of baby dust to you !! what way did you insem ? do you think you did it close to O day ? When you say it's your 3rd, do you mean 3rd cycle or you did an insem 3 times this cycle ?

have you been temping or tracking CM or anything else ? this is definately a science trying to time it right !

good luck :happydance: :flower:

Hello everyone - i wanted to ask - when is the best time to inseminate?
I think i'm doing it wrong every month - does it have to be when you ovulate? Can you get pregnant if not ovulating?

I been trying for around 7 months and no success at all and i think i'm doing the timing all wrong.
Can someone please advise = good luck to all.x

hi there, welcome !! =D>

ideally, you should insem any day before O day (2-3 days before), day of, and after O day. As spermies can live upto 5 days in you. Have you been tracking any CM or temping ? I don't think you can get PG if you don't Ovulate at all, because that's when the egg is available to meet the sperm. (but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

This thread has lots of helpful info, it's where I learned most of what I needed to do, along with the great book "What to expect before you're expecting" It has a great calendar in the back you can use to track OV.

POPPY :wave: I agree, with DODGEGIRL! If you haven't OVd and won't in a couple days, it is likely not to be best. Click on my siggy and sign up for fertilityfriend, buy a BBT (basal body temp) thermometer and pinpoint that OV time. :dust:

ANN Good Luck Hun!:dust:

AFM... Nothing much happening, awaiting AF... STILL. I have my CBFM and the donations in cue, just waiting.... Frustrating....

Yes FF is good but once my free trial ran out i switched to the pinkpad app for my iphone. I like it a lot better!! FF wanted me to pay for it after the trial...

Hv a great day everyone!!!!

hi ladies ! I posted this in the softcup thread also...

gonna do my 1st insem in 2 weeks using softcups ! I have used them before, so know the trick to getting them in and out...but I just wanted to clarify the order of what I'm doing so I don't screw it up ! lol

-he will do his thing into the cup
-I pour it into the softcup, insert with a lil bit of preseed ( or put preseed in my before cup??)
-come to O
-push bottom of cup so the cervix touches the spermies
-wait either overnight or upto 8 hours (?) before removing

how does this sound ?? any other suggestions ??

dodgegirl,

I did it on CD 15. I use OPK's but this month I used non digital and had problems reading the lines- so I chose a day I had a lot of O pain, and I have regular cycles for the most part. Previous 2 months I have done this I got my Lh surge on CD 14 and CD 15.
I use CM track, OPK's and regular cramp symptoms. I dont do bbt, but I probably should.
This is my 3rd month doing home insems. I am using sperm from known donor, a guy that is a wonderful friend.
My gyn recommended an HSG and I have had so much problem trying to schedule it. SHe had mentioned that after the HSG she would give me clomid. SO- the beginning of this last cycle I asked if I could have the clomid and will do HSG next month, she said no. So, I am disapointed. I now have to wait 2 cycles to get clomid. I am so excited to find this site, b/c to know that you all are in the same boat as me- its amazing to have and give that support.
Ann

I forgot to answer- how I inseminate. I did a little different this time- he did his thing using a condom, tied it in a knot. I live 15 minutes away, so I put it in my bra (LOL) and drove home, then poked a hole and got it in a small specimen cup and sucked it up using a 10ml syringe.
Previously, he used a tall baby bottle which I would put in my waistband to keep warm driving home... pour in specimen cup, draw up with syringe, etc. I had read that it is more likely to kill sperm if they are in a container with alot of room/air, etc. so I thought condom would be better.
but- I am hoping I will get better tips from you all. I am going to go back and read posts from before I joined. :)

Hi ladies, I haven't been here in what feels like a reaaaally long time, I kind of just didn't feel very welcome on this site so I sort of took a little break lol, But I think I am back for good now :) A little update is I finally got AF which means things are going to start shortly! I am not going to be inseminating this month sadly, but next month I will be for sure :)
I hope you all are doing fantastic <3 xox

dodgegirl - I had the donor ejaculate straight into the softcup. It's better for the swimmers if they're not being moved around too much :thumbup: xx

DODGE GL! I Agree with TTC, right into the softcup is better, but can do it the other way. Put a little preseed in you 30 mins before, then a little in cup when he hands it over.... I can't wait for your success!:dust:

ANN GL to you as well. The condom, was it withOUT spermcide? That is unhealthy for the swimmers. :dust:

ASHLIEE welcome back to us.... get yourself ready using this month as preparation.... Then we will be happy to celebrate your Feb BFP with you!:dust:

TTC Nice to see you! How are you and your tummy doing?

AFM... Ladies!!!! CBFM in use!!! AF came midday yesterday after a LOVELY chant from JODI and other BnB ladies on some threads! I have NEVER been happier to see AF!!! Sooooo..... as it stands, DW and I calculated EVERYTHING, if we conceive this cycle, DDate will be 2 days before DD's b-day and we could see a BFP BEFORE our angel's due date! Oh the hope that we are now feeling!!!FXD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->