Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Hi everyone!
This is my first post, although I have been reading every thread I can find on IA at home. This will be Our second try. We had a failed ICI in March and our donor sold out. So this month it is back to the drawing board. We have decided to try at home this cycle with frozen donor. We are planning on using preseed and instead cups. Any tips?

@ Ticking im so sorry hun wish you all the best for next time :hugs:

@ Kelley Welcome here and im sure there will be some ladies willing to give you their knowledge im also new here so pretty much a newbie also :shrug:

Thanks MisshoneyP! I went back and read this thread from the beginning. It has a ton of useful info.

Your very welcome Kelley :)

Finally got af after 4 weeks its not full flow unlike what i was expecting after 3years on implant but its only first day and remembered why i hate period pains :growlmad:
Anyhow as i have never monitored my fertility, ovulation etc before what items do i need to buy in preparation for ai?

Also thanks to Tickingclock im currently talking to a couple of donors so fingers crossed at least one is match for me

Hi there...

Just checking in-- we're a lesbian couple trying for the first time this month... in the 2week wait and dying to know, second-guessing everything! I should have gotten AF today, tomorrow at the latest, but all tests have been super negative... and yet i have some cramping today, so i'm skeptical...

any advice on doing the deed? We are using a known donor/friend of ours, he lives out of town so there's a bit of travel involved either for us or him (we alternate.) We used pre-seed lube and instead cups, but no syringes: he did his part into the cup, we inserted the lube, inserted the cup with the semen, and then i had an orgasm... and then rested... wore the cup for hours. We tried three times, all prior to ovulation. (not on the day of, unfortunately, because of the easter holiday.) SHould we have used a syringe?

is it possible that I could be pregnant still, although i haven't had a positive test? (it's CD 27, O+14). I've had a lot of symptoms... but also have cramps today that i think might be PMS... but of course, its my first cycle, and i'm hyper-watching my body. so i can't tell what's real anymore...

advice would be welcome! we're pretty isolated (we're not telling our friends that we're trying, to avoid the barrage of advice and follow-up questions.)

Thanks!

I don't know how many times I have tried posting this, and it just won't work!

I am single, financially stable and in a stable career. I plan to have a baby via insemination at home. I have found some clinics in Denmark which ship to the UK (and it's still cheaper than getting it done over here).

I've not spoken to my family about this. Whilst they would be supportive of me having a child, they would not be supportive of the method - they disapprove of 'alternative' methods of conception in any cicumstance.

Anyway, my periods are a bit screwed at present - I plan to lose some weight and hopefully that'll sort them out - and then to try. I am aiming for sometime in the next 6-9 months.

Anyone else using these clinics? Or doing it alone? I'd love to hear your experiences.

Welcome both Catherine and Sparklela

@Sparklela What tests are you using? Also when your in TWW im guessing your head may play tricks on you i would wait couple of days if still no AF do another test. The waiting is gotta be hardest part im guessing as ive not started yet. Sending you baby dust and hope its a sticky bean

:dust:

@Catherine im in same boat as you im single and wanting kids not met right man. I had implant removed 4 weeks ago and just got AF yesterday i read that taking Vitex agnus castus which is suppose to help regulate your periods it is also an aid in conceiving. As for donors im going a different route im going to get donor via advertising for one as i dont wish to pay all that money on sperm donor when i can spend it on a healthy child. I know a few of the other women on this topic have done the same thing. But it is up to the individual where you find a donor but make sure your safe whichever route you decided and for your parents im pretty sure once the baby comes along all personal thoughts on how he/she was conceived will be out of the window.

AFM I am meeting a perspective donor next Wednesday after having lengthy chat over past couple of days via pm and chat and he seems a genuine guy so hope he is when we meet for coffee. I have also ordered a BBT and ovulation tests big pack of cheap ones and cleartest one.

MissHoney- it all depends on how you want to do the AI for what you will need. For us, we ordered sterile needless syringes (which you will need), sterile cups (for the donor, if local), and that's sort of the basics. We are using soft cups this cycle (sample can be syringed into the cup or sample can be directly into the cup, then cup goes inside you to hold the semen close to the cervix), we are also using pre seed lube (which is good for sperm and mimics your natural cm). A good idea is to start taking prenatal pills if you aren't already. I'm also taking Evening Primrose Oil (to have more cm) and mucinex (also to help with cm). that's all the things we are using this cycle, hopefully it works! I also use opk strips to see when I'm ovulating, chart my temps (to ensure ovulation did occur). I guess that's about it. Oh and can't forget the green tea, yoga and reflexology! Lol! I hope this helps get you started in this journey!

KelleynJen- welcome!

SPARKLELA- your method sounds good to me! As far as being preg...do you chart your temp? If so, how is that looking? Staying high? That can sometimes be a clue. My fingers are crossed for you! Keep us updated!

Catherine- welcome!

Hey all -

We haven't used the softcup method, but mostly because our donor usually comes to our place, and because I mostly work from home, I can afford the time to lie down with my hips elevated. (DF laughs because I actually do shoulderstands, but that's because I do a lot of yoga and it seems extra fun in the post-insem moments).

As for the donation recepticle, we use a martini glass! A friend who successfully when through this a year ago suggested it. Basically, it's helpful because the rim is quite wide, so it gives the guy a bit more room for his aim, but then the semen pools in the bottom well, because of the triangle shape. This makes it easier to suck it up into the syringe. Our guy generally produces about 2cc which does not look like a lot, but it's enough. Still, you don't want to lose too much to the sides of the container - it's sticky!

Good luck!

Just wanted to share this with you all, in the hopes it will help (LOL):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cwXD6Qc-NU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi there :)
Thanks for the encouragement! I should have posted sooner!

Well... One day later (1 day late) and still no AF. Curiously hopeful? But no positive, either. Sigh.

Yup, I temp, the numbers are still high- yesterday they were a bit down, though not much, today higher again. They've been a little up down, but still clearly high, for about 4-5 days now. Hmmm.

As for tests-- I bought a whole bunch of Internet cheapies that I'm not convinced are good quality-- but they are supposed to be 10miu. Today we tested with a more expensive "early test" from the pharmacy (in germany, where I am, you can better quality stuff by buying at the pharmacy counter, rather than a drugstore)-- the brands are all different here, so I guess nobody's heard of it. But it's supposed to also be 99% accurate... And was also neg. :-(

Guess I'll just have to wait... Sigh!

@Meishka thanks I forgot to say i ordered a home insemination kit from ebay. Bought pre-pregnancy vitamin combo which includes Folic Acid also got Evening Primrose oil capsules. So hopefully all prepared just need to monitor my cycle and see when good time for me to receive donation.

I am really excited but nervous at same time for meeting my donor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :hugs:

@Sparklela if temps still high and still no af keep positive you may still get that BFP yet. Have you been getting any symptoms?

@Wirednwired that video made me laugh this morning. Are you in TWW?

Sending baby dust to all

:dust:

Hi misshoneyp,

Well, in truth, the tempo are still in the High Zone, but the Trend in the Last 4 days has been Down-up-Down-up. But all the "ups" are at the top of where they've been during my LP, and the "downs" about .1-.15 lower. (36.75C top, 36.59C lowest). The lowest point before o was just prior. 36.02C.

I guess my question, is a pregnancy out if your temps are dipping a little, but mostly staying up? Argh.frustrating.

Even more frustrating is that I swear my temps fluctuate with the weather... Probably since we sleep with the window cracked...

I am so envious of people with less sensitive bbt's! I know that I ovulate... It's clear that my charts are bi-phasic... But sometimes the rise is slow, taking 3-4 days to hit the high level. And do people really get consistent low temps in the FP and level high temps in the LP? Even though there are 2 levels to my chart, it's always zig-zaggy within those levels...

How are you taking your temps Sparkle? As i read somewhere that if you took BBT vaginally its more accurate than orally. Anyone back this up as im not 100% sure and would be good to know for myself.

Hey :) Yup, i temp. I'd heard that, too, about vaginal temping.

Actually, I do bbt with digital thermometer, and since late feb, I also have this device called an ovacue that has an oral sensor that measures electrolytes in your saliva to predict ovulation by 5-7 days, tgere's a second (optional) vaginal sensor that you use that measures your vag progesterone levels, and it watches for a rise that confirms ovulation-- it's supposed to work well for people with erratic cycles. The vaginal levels (which would correspond to bbt fluctuations) do seem to echo the bbt patterns. Though I'm only in my 2nd cycle with the thing, and you do the oral and vag. Readings separately, which means always having the machine there (and privacy) at the right time... Useful but I feel a bit chained to the devices!!)

Anyway... I'vebeen charting symptoms and bbt since last July, though we just started insinuating this month. The problem isn't necessarily lack of info-- it's interpreting what I have! And inconsistency.

Anybody have thoughts on the slight temp drops? Is that possible while preggo?

Thanks, you all... It's helpful to talk thru it!

Welcome and :hi:to all the newbies... wishing you a dose of GL and :dust:

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY My Dear TICKING!!!:cake:

Just a quick update from me:
AFM... I need 1-2 more temps to confirm it, but I think that I am in the TWW for sure! I had 2 donations at the beginning and end the suspected fertile period, so we shall see. My monitor gave me 2 peaks and so I wait!! Still soooo much going on, we are moving into our new house, should be there by the weekend, and work has been super busy, not to mention our DD is finishing up the 3rd grade. I'm updating my journal...:dust:

I think I'm in the TWW - need one more temp to confirm it. But after the chemical in Feb, I am even more conscious of my body signs, and usually my boobs feel really full and sore after O (and even more so when I got pregs), and they don't really feel any different today, so I am feeling discouraged. Because I read so much online, I am wondering if I have low progesterone - or more likely, erratic and sometimes low progesterone. But I have nothing to base that on other than looking for explanations for the chemical. Luteal phase seems ok. Hmmmm.

I think I have a lot to learn. You all seem to be talking an entirely different language!

The clinic emailed back and the cost is the same regardless of how much they ship. The method does seem simple enough, though. I don't think I would be happy having the sperm come direct from a man (for this method). I don't know, I just think I wouldn't be happy with it. I can't remember how we got on to the subject, but when I was working with one of the guys at work, he was asking if I wanted kids, and I told yes, sometime in the future. He said he didn't want them, but would be happy to make a donation to anyone if they asked. But I don't think I would feel comfortable with that.

Miss Honey, I tried angus castus and evening primrose oil with starflower oil, and they seemed to do nothing. I tried them for a few months a while back. How long do they take to work? And is there any thing else that may help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->