Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Ok ladies. This will hopefully give hope to anyone who has been in my situation and basically been told to be cautious. My first blood test was negative. Despite positive hpts. I was only 10 or 12 dpo when I took it. This blood test....

HCG is at 500 which is perfect (and even slightly high) for 4 weeks and 3 days PREGNANT.

So yes, there is such thing as a false positive, my doctor told me it was simply too early.

Thank you to everyone who supported me and let me celebrate my happy news!

This has made my day :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Thank you! You've been the most supportive!

This has made MY day as well! Now I just am so scared to get my first ultrasound! I was on clomid! What if its twins!? Haha. More to love! :cloud9:

Congratulations! I am using Clomid too and am worried/excited about the possibility of twins.

Ok ladies. This will hopefully give hope to anyone who has been in my situation and basically been told to be cautious. My first blood test was negative. Despite positive hpts. I was only 10 or 12 dpo when I took it. This blood test....

HCG is at 500 which is perfect (and even slightly high) for 4 weeks and 3 days PREGNANT.

So yes, there is such thing as a false positive, my doctor told me it was simply too early.

Thank you to everyone who supported me and let me celebrate my happy news!

This has made my day :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Thank you! You've been the most supportive!

This has made MY day as well! Now I just am so scared to get my first ultrasound! I was on clomid! What if its twins!? Haha. More to love! :cloud9:

:happydance: thank you so much for sharing your happy news!!!! I am thrilled and I hope you enjoy every moment of expecting.

Congrats mindgames!!! So glad to hear it was good news!

hp-Can you wait and see if you are still getting a peak reading tomorrow and let him know? If you O tomorrow, then you could still have 24 hours or so to do an insem.

Congrats mindgames!!! So glad to hear it was good news!

hp-Can you wait and see if you are still getting a peak reading tomorrow and let him know? If you O tomorrow, then you could still have 24 hours or so to do an insem.
That's what I was thinking but I read that you usually ovulate between 24 and 36 hours after you get your first peak (or positive OPK) and Thursday morning would be 72 hours! I don't want to waste it! I don't know what to do.

Keep in mind they say an egg lives for 12-48 hours after you ovulate (most estimate within 24 hours though). So, if you O sometime tomorrow, there still could be a slight chance for Thursday. However, I think you timed it pretty well. You will have sperm up there ready and waiting when you O! I think you'd be fine not spending the money to have it shipped. Only do it if you feel like you need one more for good measure.

mindgames, why were you on clomid? did you have ovulating problems? is it better we use it even if we have regular cycles and lh surge? I am asking this because I have no insurance and if clomid is really helpful, I may visit a doctor even if it costs a lot...

Congrats mindgames, such great news. So IF it is twins what are your thoughts? My DW would be thrilled she keeps saying "it's two for one, how can that be bad" my thought is more...its twice the work.
What do you ladies think?

Astito- someone said before that Walmart has clomid for like $12 so it's not that expensive.

Keep in mind they say an egg lives for 12-48 hours after you ovulate (most estimate within 24 hours though). So, if you O sometime tomorrow, there still could be a slight chance for Thursday. However, I think you timed it pretty well. You will have sperm up there ready and waiting when you O! I think you'd be fine not spending the money to have it shipped. Only do it if you feel like you need one more for good measure.
I just did a OPK and it was negative. I guess my surge is over. I sure hope I timed it right!!! It'll be interesting to see when I get my cross hairs on my chart.

mindgames, why were you on clomid? did you have ovulating problems? is it better we use it even if we have regular cycles and lh surge? I am asking this because I have no insurance and if clomid is really helpful, I may visit a doctor even if it costs a lot...
Clomid for me was $28 for 5-50mg pills and $33 for 10-50mg pills. I got mine at Walgreens. Clomid is cheap. It would be the doctor appointments and tests they will run to determine if you need the Clomid or not that will be costly.

HP-I think you timed it just right! Good luck! I hope you get to see a bfp this month :)

Elliotsmum-I would be freaked out if we ended up with twins. I can see both sides...I think it would be a blessing, but it would be a lot of work! However, I will take what I can get lol

Congrats mindgames, such great news. So IF it is twins what are your thoughts? My DW would be thrilled she keeps saying "it's two for one, how can that be bad" my thought is more...its twice the work.
What do you ladies think?

Astito- someone said before that Walmart has clomid for like $12 so it's not that expensive.
It's a 10% increased risk of multiples when taking Clomid. It's a risk my OB goes over every time she prescribes Clomid for me. It was something we really had to think about because I am already over 35 and that alone poses an increased health risk. Having twins over 35 is an even bigger health risk. In the end, we decided that it was worth the risk.
I agree it's more work, but I also agree with your DW. :winkwink: It's terrifying and exciting to think about having twins.

HP-I think you timed it just right! Good luck! I hope you get to see a bfp this month :)

Elliotsmum-I would be freaked out if we ended up with twins. I can see both sides...I think it would be a blessing, but it would be a lot of work! However, I will take what I can get lol
Thanks Jury! I hope you get a BFP this month too!!!

HP- just a quicky about CBFM. It will automatically give you 2 peak day's, so don't bother wasting your sticks after the first peak. xx

I hope tomorrow's temp confirms O and in a few days we can get to testing. I'm totally ready to know that our forever baby is in there cooking. Bring on the happily ever after.

HP- just a quicky about CBFM. It will automatically give you 2 peak day's, so don't bother wasting your sticks after the first peak. xx

Kezza- Thanks! Don't you have to keep using the sticks when it tells you so the monitor can continue learning your cycle?

Kezza- Thanks! Don't you have to keep using the sticks when it tells you so the monitor can continue learning your cycle?

At the start I still tested the day after the 2nd peak so that the monitor could learn my cycles. Some would say that was a waste of 1 stick but it made me feel reassured that i was doing it right. Once I learnt my cycles a bit better, I would re-use an old stick on that 3rd day after the 2 peaks because, either my temp had risen or I'd got my second smiley and was VERY confident that I was about to ov or had.

I guess it's up to the user; if testing after your second day of peak reassures you HP, I'd carry on doing it. If however, it's say your 7th month of trying and your monitor would probably know you by now, you could think about using an old stick - it's really just to save a few penny's and like I said, up to the user.

Good luck all :)

It's totally up to you HP but it is designed to give you 2 peak days. I used to use an old stick as C.30 said. You could also use cheap opk's after the first peak to see how your cycle goes and save some cash. xx

At the start I still tested the day after the 2nd peak so that the monitor could learn my cycles. Some would say that was a waste of 1 stick but it made me feel reassured that i was doing it right. Once I learnt my cycles a bit better, I would re-use an old stick on that 3rd day after the 2 peaks because, either my temp had risen or I'd got my second smiley and was VERY confident that I was about to ov or had.

I guess it's up to the user; if testing after your second day of peak reassures you HP, I'd carry on doing it. If however, it's say your 7th month of trying and your monitor would probably know you by now, you could think about using an old stick - it's really just to save a few penny's and like I said, up to the user.

Good luck all :)

Thanks C.30. You're right, you'd think after 7months the monitor would know my cycle. However, during those 7 months I was having anovulatory periods so I never got a peak reading. I assume because I was getting high days for the entire 20 days I was testing that my estrogen was increasing but I never had a LH surge. Using the monitor is how I knew something was wrong! Taking 100mg of Clomid this month has given my body what it needed to get that LH surge! I still don't know if I ovulated 100% yet but I will have my BBT and 21 day progesterone to tell me for sure. Today the monitor said not to test. It's the first month of not testing for 20 days in a row! I actually wasted a stick this morning because I assumed the monitor would ask for one but it didn't. :happydance: Not sure I will use the "old stick" trick but I love knowing all of this information. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->